January 1, 2015 Rate Adjustment - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-09, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

January 1, 2015 Rate Adjustment

"Effective January 1, 2015 Shaw Direct is increasing regular monthly rates on all Satellite programming packages to support continued investment in the viewing experience for our customers."

Anyone know how much of an increase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-09, 02:51 PM
Veteran

I don't know about SD but Shaw Cable.

HS25 went up 7 bucks and HD Plus went up 1 yet my bill says I am paying 8.99 more than that.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-09, 07:36 PM

Its usually by $3.00 but it could be more this time around.

I wonder how much more they can continue to increase the price by $3.00 before people start jumping the ship in droves.
In this day and age prices should be going down not up.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-09, 08:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Anyone know how much of an increase?
Does anyone know anything about Shaw's "continued investment in the viewing experience for our customers."

Quote:
I wonder how much more they can continue to increase the price by $3.00 before people start jumping the ship in droves.
Maybe when other TV providers stop doing the same. My experience with Shaw Direct was that prices went up more than $3/mo/yr due to various package changes. The same is true of other BDUs. Last time I looked, Shaw Direct was still one of the cheaper satellite/cable options, but not by much.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-10, 12:00 AM

7 bucks I can deal with it but at some point I'll need to decide wither to get Centre Ice only instead of Centre Ice and Sunday ticket.

I'm going to keep my bill from getting out of hand even if it requires me to drop some channels.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-10, 07:30 PM

Jumping ship sounds good in theory but I'm sure there's things that other providers do that have them not being all wine and roses. Putting the rates up....they all do that. In the town I live a lot of people are going to the android G-box and streaming but you need a high speed internet connection.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-10, 07:34 PM
Veteran

Jumping ship does sound good but I can only switch to TBayTel and they do not have HD channels I watch on Shaw.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-11, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Spoke to SD yesterday evening - bill going up $4.00 all around.

Anyone ever try calling in to complain and see if they could have this amount credited back?

Cheers
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-11, 05:15 PM
Veteran

This has been going on since Shaw (then Star Choice) launched it's first satellite. The basic service then cost about $15. These companies don't care what customers think about the price. The only effective solution is to call and cancel, citing the price increase. That might result in a temporary roll back but never a permanent solution. Every company has the same increases every year so they know the only option is cancelling TV subscriptions completely and most people won't do that.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-11, 05:57 PM

I can deal with 4 dollars if it jumps 10-15 bucks goodbye Sunday Ticket.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-12, 12:07 AM

Over the last few years I've responded to every increase by dropping something of equal or greater value than the increase and I make sure I tell them why I'm doing it. Yeah, they don't care, but I continue to do it. Last year I ran out of things to drop except for TMN/HBO so that's what I did -- turns out I really didn't miss it -- and I saved $16.99/month or whatever it is.

On Jan 1 I only have the HD sports left to drop and without that I have no reason to keep the sub. Guess I'll find out what their retention department has to offer. But what I've learned is that I probably won't miss it if I cancel the service. I can get most of what I want from streaming and what I can't stream I'll learn to live without.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-13, 09:05 AM
Rookie

Anyone can confirm the value of the price increase? I was told it was 2$, I see here that it might be 4$. Can anyone confirm?
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-14, 09:41 PM

Might be different based on package selections... who knows? Hard to tell without something in print yet.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-15, 01:51 PM
Rookie

Received my latest bill. $4 increase is confirmed for January. Shaw has dinged me every year and not once has the increase ever felt justified. Always just feels like a cash grab. This latest one has me strongly pondering my next move.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-15, 06:31 PM

Well Nashy2112 I have never had an increase on anything that I said to myself that was a great idea I'm sure glad they are going to charge me more for that product or service.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in