January 1, 2015 Rate Adjustment - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-16, 02:04 PM

This solidifies dropping SD for me. Had a good run, I guess, next year I move to IPTV. Done and done. With this increase i'll be paying $25 more for the same programming I started with about 4-5yrs ago. Really?! That much of an increase in that little time? Ridiculous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-16, 08:30 PM
Rookie

You missed my point. Increases never make me happy, but sometimes increase are justified, or at least somewhat understood.
With Shaw Direct, ...It's hey, here's some useless channels you don't want, you're paying for it. Hey, we finally got you guys a new guide 8 years late, you're paying for it and hey, we lost 6k customers, you're paying for it.
I have been with Shaw Direct for over 10 years, and they have raised my bill every single year without fail. I remember when Shaw Direct was Star Choice and their whole mantra was that they were different from cable....Yeah, right. Can't tell any of these crooks (Rogers, Bell, Shaw) apart nowadays.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-23, 08:51 AM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
It is ironic that Shaw does not consider eastern expansion in their pricing decisions. They are not competing with Expressview there. They are competing with Rogers, Bell, Telus, Cogeco at al.

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-23, 05:23 PM

Does Shaw Direct all out compete with anyone?

I see a lot of Bell, Rogers, & Eastlink ad's very few Shaw Direct ad's.

I must say though there are more Shaw/Starchoice dishes in the neighborhood then Bell.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-25, 08:34 AM

Salaries go up, fuel prices were up significantly until recently, vehicle maintenance, the leasing cost of satellites probably goes up (I don't think SD owns their satellites), operating call centres & phones, etc...

SD's costs have increased over the years, just as ours have.

None of my other utility bills has remained constant, so why should our TV bill not have increased over the past 5 years?

It's called Inflation.

I don't like it either, but it is what it is.

Once everyone gets connected to IPTV (such as Bell), those costs will go up too.

The cheapest alternative right now, is OTA antenna TV.

You only get local channels (no movie channels or sports channels), but once you've paid for the installation, there is no monthly bill :-) :-) :-)
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-25, 11:50 AM

"Effective January 1st, 2015, the monthly rate for your services will be $40.99."
Was $37.55, so my increase will be $3.44.

That's 2 coffees per month, so Tim's loses out to Shaw, as I still want NFL!
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-25, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5000 View Post
"Effective January 1st, 2015, the monthly rate for your services will be $40.99."

In January after the football package comes off the bill it will be 69 bucks a month, thats with the increase.

I'm not complaining.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-29, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46FD04 View Post
Salaries go up, fuel prices were up significantly until recently, vehicle maintenance, the leasing cost of satellites probably goes up (I don't think SD owns their satellites), operating call centres & phones, etc...

None of my other utility bills has remained constant, so why should our TV bill not have increased over the past 5 years?

It's called Inflation.

Once everyone gets connected to IPTV (such as Bell), those costs will go up too.

You only get local channels (no movie channels or sports channels), but once you've paid for the installation, there is no monthly bill :-) :-) :-)
Inflation is understandable. An increase is understandable. It's the amount that they increase per year that is bothersome. Like I said, my bill for the same service has increased $25 in (4 or) 5years. At 5 years, that's $5 per. WAY too much!
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-29, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46FD04 View Post

It's called Inflation.

Inflation is not 6%, yet my rates are going up that amount.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-29, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5000 View Post

So you watch NFL games in standard def?
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-30, 07:56 AM

Shaw Direct will $24 more per month than Rogers Digital Bundled price (with 3 services) with 7 fewer SD services + 17 fewer HD
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-11-30, 10:10 AM
Veteran

Question

What ever provider you have or service, the bottom line is how much is it do with inflation & cost of doing business and how much is it to do with profit & share hold dividends and share holder influence?

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-12-02, 12:08 PM
JCM

I don't mind the increase in costs if only the 630's worked like they were suppose to. It is getting more frustrating all the time with reboots and lock ups. Will my program be watchable or even record. You want more money for that?
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-12-06, 09:21 AM

^^^I've never had as many lockups/reboots as I am getting now. Almost always while something is recording, so i miss a good chunk. So nice that i then need to go "find" that show somewhere else to watch it in full. And then have to pay more to SD for this.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 2014-12-06, 11:16 AM

I got my bill it says mine goes up $3. I wouldn't mind as much if we got more HD channels along with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in