Flakey VOD - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-09-05, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Flakey VOD

Does anyone have an issue with shows starting when using VOD? 80% of the time I try and watch something it tries to start the program the little circle goes around and around (sometimes pixelating and stalling) then the screen either goes blank or it goes back to the VOD menu and says there was a problem. I have plenty of bandwidth as it shows 8-11MB on speed test, have tried both wired direct and using the wifi bridge (which is preferred as I have no network near my home theater) and it makes no difference. Shaw says I have to run a speed test before starting to verify bandwidth. I said what's the difference if I run it after a failed load and it says I have enough bandwidth? They said just run it before to verify?? Ya OK whatever... I also said Netflix streams fine during these issue so IMHO it is not a network bandwidth or configuration issue it's Shaw's clunky VOD and hardware if you ask me. They say the hardware is fine and has plenty of horsepower to run it. Ya OK again... I was born at night... but not last night!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-09-05, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil99 View Post
Ya OK again... I was born at night... but not last night!
I hear you.......An SD rep told me once, while diagnosing pixelation and crashes, to unplug my 630 and take it to my kitchen as the AC power is cleaner there.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-09-06, 05:34 AM

I'm 175 down and 10 up and still have the same issues as when I had a slower package.
Shaw: it's not me, it's you.
Shaw recently announced Shomi with Rogers as their Cdn Netflix-killer. If this is any indication, it'll flop.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-10-13, 02:48 PM

This is an ongoing issue. A Tech told me that they have been working on this issue for 2 months! I then asked her if they knew when it would be fixed, she said it doesn't happen overnight. LOL!
More poor service from Shaw, but I bet they pat themselves on the back and tell us how great they are.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-10-13, 06:35 PM
Rookie

Same here. Actually my speed has slowed when I do the speed test on VOD. Before the guide update it was actually better. I used to get around 9MBPS on the VOD speed test. After the update I only get 4 to 5 which is not enough for HD. Getting pretty tired of Shaw Direct. From the crappy receivers to the uesless answers you get when you phone in. Really just a brutal way to treat clients. They are lucky the other options aren't much better.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-11-13, 07:08 PM

I can not get American Hero's Channel on demand to work at all the rest of tv on demand I can get it on the 3rd or 4th try.

When it comes to renting a movie it works perfect for me on the 1st try, so at least the stuff I'm paying for is getting through.

Thought about reporting it but don't watch enough on demand for it to be worth my while.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-03-26, 03:53 PM

network speed

I moved my modem closer to the 630 receiver so that I could use the short Ethernet cable and it increased my network speed a bit more. I would like to know if I shortened the main telephone cable from the telephone box to the modem about 30ft would it increase the speed any more. The cable is about 40ft now so I would like to know before I cut it.

Thanks in advance wade
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-03-26, 08:28 PM

I have no issues with the Shaw Direct VOD streaming in HD,
but then I have the Shaw Cable 50 mps internet.
You have to take in consideration just how many devices you have connected to your home network.
You can try logging off your other devices and shutting them off,when you only have 10 mps to work with your near the min for using Shaw's VOD.
You can also try reseting your modem by unplugging the power for a couple of minutes ,
it will usually will give you a better down load speed test on the VOD.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-03-27, 08:44 AM

Yeah, I'm having thje same troubles with Shaw VoD. I can stream from other services in HD without problem but Shaw's doesn't work. If I'm desperate, I'll watch in low def.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-03-27, 03:47 PM

I live in a small community with DSL internet supplied by satellite dish and only get speeds from 6 to 7 Mbps. Shaw tec said I need around 7 Mbps to receive HD VOD. So if I can get a few more Mbps by shortening the telephone cable by 30ft I would, but I would like to know first if I could get any gain before I cut it. As I said before I gained A few Mbps by shortening the Ethernet cable.

Thanks wade
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-03-28, 10:49 AM

Shortening the telephone cable won't (shouldn't) make any difference. I'm surprised that you got any improvement by shortening your ethernet cable. Make sure you're using high quality cables.

I live in a rural area and get 5Mbps (6 on a good day if the wind is blowing in the right direction). Shaw VoD HD just won't work for me. Netflix HD works just fine. I watch on a 60" TV and SD is downright ugly on that big screen. Any mid-program change in picture quality is immediately obvious.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-03-29, 05:52 AM

Thanks for the info. When I said shorter Ethernet cable I meant the yellow cable supplied by the telephone company that came with the modem. Could have been a better quality cable. I think I will leave the telephone cable as is in case I have to move the modem back where it was.
Thanks again for the info
wade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in