Sunday Ticket details (2014 season)? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 2014-08-11, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Sunday Ticket details (2014 season)?

Anyone order or inquired about Sunday Ticket for this season yet? Kind of surprised nothing is on their web site with only a few weeks until the start of the season. I'm hoping the Sunday Ticket/Centre Ice combo is once again available for this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 2014-08-11, 05:19 PM
Veteran

It's still four weeks away. I would expect something either this week or next week.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 2014-08-14, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Details posted on SD web site today.

Same price as last year: $199, but they seemed to have dropped NFL RedZone. No mention of it as part of ST package and the separate option to purchase also removed from web site today. In other words, we're getting less for the same $199 as last year. Sounds about right. (grrrr)

Also of note, they've listed NHL Centre Ice at $199 for the season. So much for that dropping in price due to new national broadcast rights.

And to top it off, no mention of the Sunday Ticket/Centre Ice combo this season. If that's the case then the price for both jumps to $398 from $229 last year and we're getting less (no Red Zone channel for NFL and fewer games on Centre Ice this year due to extra night of national coverage). I'm never paying $398 for both. It'll only be one for me, not sure which though because I really loved the Red Zone channel.

Edit: Just spoke to CSR. RedZone is not available on Shaw Direct this year. There is currently "no plans" to offer the Centre Ice/Sunday Ticket combo. So as of now, it appears it's $398 if you want 'em both. The Super Sports Pak from Cogeco is looking a whole lot more appealing to me now.

Last edited by Slugger; 2014-08-14 at 03:58 PM. Reason: More details

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 2014-08-14, 05:06 PM
Veteran

I don't think Shaw Direct had the combo package last year. I have no idea why they wouldn't offer RedZone. Shaw is such a joke. I pay $34.95/month for Super Sports Pack and I get NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Centre Ice, NBA League Pass, MLB Extra Innings, NCAA Football and Basketball and OHL Hockey. RedZone is a $50 add on per year.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 2014-08-14, 05:22 PM

Shaw Direct did have the combo last year.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 2014-08-14, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, Shaw Directly definitely had the combo last year. $199 for Sunday Ticket + $30 one time for full season of Centre Ice. That also included the RedZone channel.

Yeah, I'm negotiating with Cogeco. $32/mth for Super Sports Pack is way, way better value than 2 x $199 for NFL and NHL. If Cogeco breaks down and gives me free rental hd boxes for all 4 tvs in the house then I'm sold.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 2014-08-14, 10:24 PM

That sucks.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 2014-08-15, 04:25 AM
QCK

Yea that sucks, and I see on their website that they want $199.99 for Leafs TV!

Unreal...
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 2014-08-15, 07:05 AM

I wonder if it's because Bell/CTV/TSN has rights this year and so wouldn't play ball with SD. After all, still can't get TSN go thru SD either.
Or, with the "most HD channels", we have all the CTVs across the country and therefore have a good selection of games anyway.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 2014-08-15, 11:16 AM

We still don't get CTV Ottawa HD

Is there a chance they haven't finalized everything yet? LeafsTV and JetsonTSN and CI and ST all 199.99 seems weird.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 2014-08-15, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Perhaps they don't quite know what they're doing yet. The premium sports package page on the SD site was updated again this morning. Centre Ice pricing removed (was $199). Leafs TV pricing adjusted back to $5.02/mth (was $199), Jets on TSN pricing removed (was $199). Sunday Ticket still listed at $199 and RedZone still removed.
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 2014-08-17, 03:14 PM

Noticed Shaw Cable also has removed Redzone as part od its NFLST deluxe package now. Wonder why no Redzone this year at all? I freakin love that channel.
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 2014-08-17, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Trying to figure out what happened to RedZone. Shaw Direct isn't saying anything, but the exodus of RZ from all providers tells me this is the NFL's doing so I started sending emails to the NFL.

I've gotten past the auto generated and canned responses and now someone's actually responding to me. Their responses are cryptic/minimal info only, but if I'm reading between the lines correctly, it appears RZ is only available outside the US via online streaming. This would suggest that the online component we are receiving with an SD sub will include online access to the RZ feed via that Shaw NFL GO app or whatever it's called. I tried that app one weekend last season while away and it was garbage. Crashed every 10 minutes. If that's the only way we're able to get RZ then I'm not all that excited about it. I don't even think the app supports chromecast, which makes it nearly useless, imho.
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 2014-08-17, 08:24 PM
Veteran

RedZone is still available in Canada just not on Shaw and Shaw Direct. It's available on Cogeco, Rogers, Source Cable, Eastlink, Telus to name a few. It's just another backwards decision in the Shaw Marketing department.
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 2014-08-17, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Hmm... figures. Though I did check up on Cogeco and Bell (satellite, I'm too far outside the city for Fibe) and I didn't see either of them advertising RZ either so figured they dropped it as well. Might have to call Cogeco to confirm, but it may be moot because Cogeco isn't coming anywhere close pricing wise for a run of the mill HD package vs. the sweet retention promo rate I'm currently getting from Shaw Direct. As much as it angers me, Shaw Direct retention rate + $398 for Sunday Ticket & Centre Ice is still less than Cogeco's "best offer" for basic HD + Super Sports Pack. But I love my RZ so I may take another run at Cogeco before Week 1 and see just how bad they want a new customer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in