Cancel Shaw Direct and Move to Shaw? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-05-04, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Cancel Shaw Direct and Move to Shaw?

I have been with Shaw Direct for probably 10 years now. Our Internet and Phone are currently with Shaw. I am finding the PVR 630 to be getting a bit long in the tooth compared to the Shaw Gateway offering. I can replicate my Shaw Direct programming on Shaw for approx $30 less per month (24 month commitment for equipment least $15 per month) by choosing their XL package and adding some custom programming. So not a huge saving. I am probably getting additional stations on Shaw that I don't have on Shaw Direct, although I haven't performed a station-by-station comparison. I do know all the stuff we watch regularly on Shaw Direct is also on Shaw.

The centralized Gateway PVR is attractive as is the ability to add storage to it.

Comments most welcome as to pros / cons of making the switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 04:52 PM

You can also add storage (up to 2 TB) to the 630 receiver by adding an external hard drive with an eSata connection.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-05-06, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks, I didn't realise this was possible with the 630. Will definitely do that. Do I need to contact SD for some form of activation?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-05-07, 03:31 AM
Veteran

If you have no reason for the portability of SD, then I feel the gateway 6 tuners and multiroom with portals was a no brainer for us. We actually have both, since SD has basic. Programming for cable subscribers at a good rate.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-05-07, 10:09 PM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
As a Shaw and Shaw Direct customer, I personally can't see any reason for keeping Shaw Direct as your TV provider if you are in an area serviced by Shaw Cable.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-05-07, 10:50 PM
Veteran

Only reason is mobile vacations.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-05-17, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by envirogeek View Post
As a Shaw and Shaw Direct customer, I personally can't see any reason for keeping Shaw Direct as your TV provider if you are in an area serviced by Shaw Cable.
I have Shaw Direct, Internet & phone. For the moment I have decided to stay with SD for the following reasons:

* For me SD is cheaper than Shaw Cable TV (For what I want)

* If I moved to Shaw Cable I would loose the Toronto feed for CBC HD. With SD I can record the CBC National at 7pm & not have to wait till 10pm.
(Yeah I know, I could stream it over the internet, but heck I like to see Peter Mansbridge in Hi Def....lol)

* As I own two 630's HDPVR it's cheaper to keep them & not have to buy/rent Shaw Cable TV equipment.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-05-18, 12:48 PM

The pros and cons of a such a move can be complex due to the complicated web of special offers available. When I moved from Shaw Direct to Shaw Cable, they said I didn't have to give any notice because it's within the same company. But I was given a "new customer" promo deal by Shaw Cable (free personal TV, free PVR, and free phone) because I counted as a new TV customer, even though I already had Shaw internet and Shaw Direct TV. You won't necessarily get the full story from the first customer service rep you talk to. You may have to call a few times and talk to different reps.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2014-05-18, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Good point. Technically I have Shaw TV already because to qualify for a $40 discount any Shaw Bill for phone and Internet, they sent me a basic terminal. As a SD customer, there is a discount offered of $40 per month if you add Shaw TV basic to your bill.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in