HD picture quality? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2014-01-11, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

HD picture quality?

Hi all-

I have been a SD customer for about 12 years now, I have had HD since day one of the 530. Recently I have noticed a real change in the HD picture quality- aside from the macro blocking on CityHd and Global- I usually record on the west US HD feeds to avoid these channels.

Lately I have noticed a 'darkening' of the picture quality and a sense of digital movements in images that I never noticed before. Nothing has changed in my set up- I have a Panasonic VT65 plasma- prior to November I was wholly satisfied.

My thoughts- is SD compressing their signal more and more and downgrading their 1080 to more like 720?

Case in point- I watched an episode of 'Agents of Shield' (no comments on my taste please! ) on Hulu plus through my WD box and couldnt believe the picture quality compared to Shaw Direct.

Has anyone else noticed a recent degrade or is it just my perception?

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2014-01-11, 09:46 PM

It's not just you. I can't remember the shows but they were City simsubs and I thought man that picture is much darker than normal and just chalked it up to crappy simsub standards we have to put up with at the time. Have to see if it continues moving forward.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2014-01-11, 09:49 PM
Veteran

City HD has always been bad since it was added to Shaw Direct. I'm on Rogers Cable now and have noticed a vast improvement in PQ with City HD. As far as Global HD I don't really watch anything on Global.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2014-01-13, 08:33 AM

CTV HD Toronto is also bad.....

Is this a bandwidth issue?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in