Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw Direct 2014 programming packages and pricing discussion

43K views 87 replies 47 participants last post by  bcbud3 
#1 ·
#59 ·
Just by way of clarification, it's not as silly a question as it seems, even though it's on the iHDD of the PVR. With IPTV, each time a programme is viewed, a signal is sent back to the provider asking if it's OK to view the programme, even though it may be on your iHDD. So, although Satellite and Cable (so far) allow you to watch anything you've recorded, that is not the case for IPTV, such as Fibe.

Also, some cable PVRs (and perhaps Satellite as well) require you to have an active account to fire up the PVR. For example, with Shaw Cable, you cannot record a programme, take your PVR with you somewhere else, and view the programme unless you have an active cable connection there. The Shaw Cable PVR requires an active cable connection to boot. Some people have done short moves using a UPS, but if the power ever goes down, then you're out of luck.

All this to say that it's not always as straight-forward as it may seem.

#63 ·
Nope, for IPTV the recording is on the drive, but it only plays if you get the "key" from the provider - each time you play something, the PVR checks back with the provider. This is a little OT for this thread and I only mentioned it earlier because the issue is not as clear cut as some may think and a provider may change how things work at any time.

#64 ·
Digital Lite advanced lineup

I live in the Toronto area. My subscription is currently on "vacation hold".
I have the Digital Lite package with "advanced lineup" channels.
I have a few questions:
1- Are all of the new TSN channels available with "Digital Lite"?
2- Is Sportsnet 360 available with "Digital Lite"?
3- Where can I find an updated list of "Digital Lie" "advanced" channels?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#68 ·
Packages

Don't mean to change the topic trying to stick with the package service thing.

However looking for a few suggestions. I moved into a condo & no dishes are allowed which sort of buggers me for the cottage satellite service.
Had 2 receivers at the house & 1 at the cottage, well within Shaws 6 receiver limit per subscriber. I really only spend at most 1 month there, so was asking Shaw if I could just do a one month service, but they turned me down flat! They want the whole year. :(

My cottage has no internet or phone, smart phones don't even work if I go into the little town, so receiver was isolated. If it went down use to drive 5 miles to a pay phone to get whole system booted.
Now with Shaws internet reboot they track IP addresses so they know location of receiver if the receiver is hooked up to the net or phone line etc. But at my cottage theirs no way for them to know the receivers actual location. If we had the service still, at home, & I called my wife to boot the receiver they'd think it was in my house.

Anyways any suggestions how to get my receiver working & get a reasonable rate for a month worth of use ? :confused:

#69 ·
Don't you have that receiver listed as home away from home. so wouldn't you be able to update it from home. If that is the case take down all the #s off that receiver and when you call in tell them that is the one you need updated (call before you leave home to go there).

#70 ·
That's not the issue they want to set up a new contract and bill me for 12 months. And no I didn't have it listed that way, as far as they were concerned it was the 3rd receiver in my house. I have a second dish so they have no idea where on the planet that receiver is or was. As long as I booted it up, if it went down, from my house it's a non issue. When it was Star Choice I'd just call them from a phone & give particulars they'd just reboot the whole system and again they had no idea where my receivers were.

Star Choice actually called my wife once, wanted to send a guy out to check on the system, my wife's a pretty smart cookie, she told them talk to my husband. I told them "stuff it" system is fine I installed it myself and they're not welcome on my property. That ended that. That was 6 years ago ... I think .. so it's never been an issue till we bought this condo.

#71 · (Edited)
Not sure if this is an option for you or not or even if Shaw offers this still, but at one time, If you had shaw cable, they offered you a cottage program so you could get a satellite dish and receiver to use at your cottage or RV. I think it was $24.00 per month. Now I don't know if you can activate it when you need it or if it has to be active all the time, But maybe you could check it out and see. Thats providing you go with Shaw in your condo or live in the Shaw Cable service area.

Here is the link to it.
http://www.shaw.ca/uploadedfiles/Em...r-version.html?CID=EM-2013-06-11-OTH-QUAD-L04

#77 ·
Not getting/seeing Movietime HD in Guide

I'm paying for Digital Lite, and carrying Pick 2 on Action and MovieTime. I'm getting MovieTime in SD, but can't find the HD version in the guide (with unsubscribed channels on or off) to choose from.

My guide shows WGN HD (unsubbed) at 342 and HBO HD (unsubbed also) at 345.... Nothing on 343 where I'd expect to find MT HD.

Should I be getting it in HD since I'm paying for the SD channel with Digital Lite, or is that not a channel that would be included in HD no extra charge...?

And even still, if I'm not supposed to be 'getting it', shouldn't I still see it in the guide as an unsubbed channel anyway?

Any suggestions? I'm guessing it might be a bad lineup by a mapping or V-code but I'm not sure. I seem to have all the others I'm paying for in the guide, and the numerous unsubbed ones...

#80 ·
I understand where MovieTime HD should be, and I'm using 600 and 605's... I was really asking if it's available to me in HD while I'm on Digital Lite when paying for it in SD using a Take Two configuration? Or do you only get the HD version in a higher monthly package? If I should be getting it, I was going to call into support and suggest I have a Vcode mapping issue, but I'd rather not call in and deal with that unless it's the case. :)

Thanks
Byron

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.