Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw Direct 2014 programming packages and pricing discussion

43K views 87 replies 47 participants last post by  bcbud3 
#1 ·
#28 ·
I doubted that the interactive channel forecast was often updated, as a result I didn't look at the channel often. It was fun to see the forecasts for the USA and around world.

The regular Weather Channel has too much going on in the same screen. I would prefer a single screen with no boxes, scrolls, or other stuff.

#29 ·
The interactive weather channel was updated often by accu-weather and had a weather station only 10 kms, away. For my father in a very rural area, the Weather Network never mentions his area, and only gives weather forecasts for areas 100 kms away, hardly a replacement, so he will really miss it!

#30 ·
It is good to know that the weather is/was updated often. If I knew that, I would probably have used the interactive weather channel more frequently.

Maybe they can get a replacement service from another weather service; I hope so.
If they do, I hope that they timestamp the current forecast/conditions on the screen.

#32 ·
Yes, a possibility that it is not compatible with the new guide.

I noticed the the "Information" on channel 105 says that the interactive weather is no longer available on this receiver, so I called Shaw and the CSR stated that it is available on older silver receivers until November, unless the complaints continue. So call or contact and voice your concerns with Shaw if you want it to stay.

Can anyone confirm that the Interactive Weather is still available on older receivers as part of the programing package?

#33 ·
We have been a customer of Star choice/ Shaw Direct since 2009 through a sales rep we went with the Ontario Extra Value package at $38.98 in 2012 I added the single channel OASIS for $4.99

Last night July 31, 2014 having not watched OASIS since 2013 I called to cancel the channel and was told I was in fact subscribed to the HD Extra package at $6.99 and that I would lose all the included HD channels the package offered such as H&G, TLC A&E History, Food, & discovery.

I mentioned the all the stated HD channels were already included in the Ontario Extra Value package?
My actual channel loss would be AMC-HD & the OASIS channel, I didn’t make any changes as I really enjoy the single AMC-HD Channel but the single channel is not worth almost $8 with Tax

I am certainly at a loss as what to do as my $38.98 Ontario Extra Value package now totals $70.00+ any ideas?

The Rep suggested switching to the Digital Advantage package as being grandfathered to the OEVP offers no advantage and appears to have no value at all, in fact the DV package was offered for less cost . . . Just not sure what I will do, may be its time for a change, all input would be very much welcomed, moe

#34 ·
We have been a customer of Star choice/ Shaw Direct since 2009 ...........I am certainly at a loss as what to do as my $38.98 Ontario Extra Value package now totals $70.00+ any ideas?
You might ask to speak to Loyalty Retentions and make it clear that you are in discussions with Telus Optik, Rogers, Bell etc.

Have some real world numbers from these other providers and then see if SD will offer something of value to keep you as a customer.

#37 ·
Hey D_source, I switched for the same reason, but we are still in the mid $60's and I want to be in the high $50's

We always had the HD versions of the channels right from our install date?

I was just under the impression if you subscribed to the equivalent standard definition channel the HD versions were included; in 2010 for some reason StarChoice/SD removed the HD GOLF channel from our package.

The CSR’s suggestion of going with the Digital Advantage package at -$4.00 Less per month than my current cost stated we would only loose the OASIS CH. And retain all other HD Ch.’s including AMC-HD.

Its been 5 years and in that time providers & HD channels have exploded, so I have sent inquiries to all possible providers including contact with my SD salesperson.
Our habits have changed, kids are all now at U and we only watch HD channels and in checking other than the Networks we only watch (5) of the specialty Ch's

#38 ·
Thanks schmuly for confirming 105 is still working on the dsr530. A friend of mine who has a dsr600 but not on a XKU band mapping is also getting the interactive weather. They don't have the new guide, nor the new lnb.

#40 ·
Hi moehunter. You must have been one of the lucky ones b/c i've never had the HD channels (H&G, TLC A&E, Food) unless I added the HD extra subscription. I'm positive it's not included in OVP. If you had them for free, that's awesome for you.

The equivalent HD channels if you sub to the SD channels were not for all, just for some. The specialty and sports were always extra.

How are you in the $60s after taxes? Do you not pay the mutli receiver fee? All I have on my account is OVP + multi fee + tax and i'm over $70. I'd love to be high $50s at this point as well. Alas, i may just end up leaving Shaw soon anyways.

Before making that switch you shoul dget an up to date list of what the 2 subscriptions offer and make a direct comparison. You may lose more than what you think you will lose. If they are very close or identical, they would still just be offering OVP. There's a reason they grandfathered it and came out with a different package. I have found the CSRs at Shaw to be very rude and unwelcoming over the past while. Almost to the point to where it seems like they are trying to screw people over. I wouldn't trust them at all. Oasis is an extra on both BTW.

#41 ·
The others are correct that you lose the HD versions of those extra channels if you drop HD Extra. At one time I explored switching from the B.C. version of the grandfathered Value Package to the new Digital Advantage, only to realize that it also dropped all the time-shifting channels. That might not matter as much to you in Ontario though.

We called it quits several months ago when our package went over $70 even with all the cuts we could make. We found we were watching internet TV more than half the time anyway when we sat down to watch TV. In turn that made us notice more the endless repeats and excessive commercial time on the Shaw Direct channels. We ended up cutting back to just a basic TV package (major networks and local stations) with Shaw and then with Telus, which serves our needs just fine.

#46 · (Edited)
  • All English or Bilingual programming packages that previously contained TSN will now include TSN1, TSN3, TSN4, and TSN5, so no changes are required to receive the new channels in SD.
  • HD versions of the above channels are included in HD Sports and HD Combo.
  • Packaging for TSN2 has not changed. If you don't currently receive this channel, subscribe to the Sports bundle. If you get TSN2 in SD and subscribe to HD Sports or HD Combo, you'll also receive it in HD.
Source: http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/tsn/

#45 ·
thanks, I'll have to check - last I remember the only thing I did was discontinue some pick-and-pays I had. Otherwise, no changes. My account is old as well - 13 years with essentially no changes. I never added extra HD channels (Food, AE, AMC etc), just what's included with SD

#47 ·
I have 2 questions

- Is there still a la carte menu, I remember some time ago SD had this menu and called a la carte and it was about only 5 channels for solo subscription not like the pick 2 or so. It included BBC World News, BET I think and a few others for $1 each.

- In order to get the WGN, WPIX, KTLA, and WSBK, only without a movie package is there that option ? I think there was but I never found it on the SD programming guide on pdf they have on their website.

#51 · (Edited by Moderator)
TSN 2 HD: "the no-ocho"

My subscription is Digital Lite along with an additional $4.99 for "HD Sports Bundle" (i.e. only TSN HD for Digital Lite subscribers) and $1.00 for the HD US Networks timeshift.

Until recently this $4.99 only got me TSN HD, not TSN 2 HD.

Now TSN comes in flavours 1 through 5. Strangely, I now get TSN 1, 3, 4, and 5 in HD.

I'm wondering what's so special about TSN 2 HD that I'm not allowed to have it? Especially since I now get 4/5 of the TSN HD channels.

Also, at some point recently I started to get the Sportsnet channels, but not in HD.

I'm hesitant to call a CSR about all this because I like getting more TSN's, and the Sportsnet additon, though in SD, is a nice perk.

#54 ·
According to Shaw Direct it will last for all the TSN 1,3,4,5 channels currently being received on the following basis:-

How am I affected?

If you previously received TSN SD, you will now get TSN1, TSN3, TSN4, and TSN 5.
If you previously received TSN HD, you will now get TSN1 HD, TSN3 HD, TSN4 HD, and TSN 5 HD.
If you subscribe to TSN2 SD, you'll notice the channel number has changed. Otherwise, there are no changes to packaging or availability for TSN2 SD or HD.
Source: http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/tsn/

Thus:
- a typical Digital Lite customer who always received TSN in SD, once the SD and HD free previews are over, will receive TSN 1,3,4,5 in standard definition only.
- Bortman, having added the HD Sports Bundle to the Digital Lite package, will receive TSN 1,3,4,5 in both SD and HD.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.