There is nothing close to release I would wait for. You should be fine, and should get updates, if any, until the next thing comes.
Of you have a quad already, it will work for a few additional channels, but for the most channels and least grief from Shaw (they really want the X-Ku deployed), you should upgrade. If you are going to have a Shaw Direct contractor run the second coax for the DVR, they will most likely change the LNBF anyways.
I will say in passing you are late, as there were sales this past summer, and I kind of regret not getting a DVR then (I did get a 600 for $49), plus most of the G1 channels were in preview.