time to buy 630? .. and other questions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-12-29, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

time to buy 630? .. and other questions

I'm a longtime SD customer and currently have a DSR 505. I'm considering getting a HDPVR 630, but I'm looking for some opinions.

1) Is now the time? Or, should I just wait for the next edition of SD's PVR? That is, is the 630 just too unreliable?

2) If I do get a 630, should I do the hard drive upgrade before I plug in/set up the box?

3) Do I need to have the newest LNBF?

Right now I have a homemade PVR and I've never had luck with getting the computer to control the DSR 505, so I have to manually sync the timers with my PVR. That's getting pretty tedious.

The $399 price of the HDPVR 630 is a little high, so I'm looking for some reassurance before I commit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-12-29, 01:50 PM
Veteran

1) Yes buy it. Sometimes it goes on sale at the Big Box electronic stores so check them out. You can also rent the 630 for 10 bucks a month if you are worried about a next generation model coming out shortly. There had been talk of a 730 but so far that has just been talk. I think SD is a year or two away from releasing a new PVR. The box itself works well its just their software they load on it that makes it buggy but SD is usually good about replacing defective units. They keep promising a new HD guide but it keeps getting delayed and delayed.

2) Do it after you've activated the 630. You can also attach an external hard drive to it if you don't wanna fool around with the insides.

3) This is up to you. You can take a look at this channel list... http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/pro...c-channels.pdf and any channel with the blue square will require the new LNB and most will require an extra monthly fee too.

Anyhoo... I would definitely buy one or see if you can buy a used one on Kijiji or someplace. It's about the only way I watch TV these days... all recorded shows.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-12-29, 02:53 PM
Veteran

There is nothing close to release I would wait for. You should be fine, and should get updates, if any, until the next thing comes.

Of you have a quad already, it will work for a few additional channels, but for the most channels and least grief from Shaw (they really want the X-Ku deployed), you should upgrade. If you are going to have a Shaw Direct contractor run the second coax for the DVR, they will most likely change the LNBF anyways.

I will say in passing you are late, as there were sales this past summer, and I kind of regret not getting a DVR then (I did get a 600 for $49), plus most of the G1 channels were in preview.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-12-29, 09:17 PM

Futureshop has the 630 on sale today (2013-12-29) for $299. Although the website shows out of stock they are showing stock here in Edmonton. Check to see if it's available where you are.

Bob

Last edited by 57; 2013-12-30 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-12-30, 02:47 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
Just be prepared for a hassle to keep it running well. It is not a consumer product because it requires too much knowledge to keep it running.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-12-30, 09:38 PM

Just 'cause it reboots all by itself in the middle of programs, loses recordings, and other nice things is no cause to mean mouth such a nice device in beta.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-12-31, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

On Sunday I pulled the trigger and bought the 630 at a Futureshop in Ottawa. I looked online: $399 at Best Buy, $299 at Futureshop.

When I got to Futureshop a sales rep brought me to the display with the shaw stuff ... the 630 was marked $399. I told him I only came in because it was listed for $299 on their website. He gave it to me for that price. I wish I would have told him it was listed for $150!

I didn't get the X-Ku. I've do my own installs since I'm an unofficial hafh subscriber. I'll have to track down an X-Ku on my next trip. My channel package is Digital Lite + HD US networks timeshift + HD Sports Bundle (which only gets me TSN HD), so I don't know that I'll see much benefit from the X-Ku at this point, but might if/when I change programming down the road.

I'm hoping I didn't just buy a $300 brick. I can't say I didn't know what I was getting into.

Thanks for all your insights!

bm
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-12-31, 02:28 PM
Veteran

You may be 1 of the 1,000's who have no serious complaints.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-12-31, 06:54 PM
Veteran

I got rid of my 630 a few months ago but found it to be fairly reliable, as BDU PVRs go anyway. It's way better than the Rogers crap I have now. Bell's PVRs were really bad for few years as well but are fairly decent now. The 630 was a mess when first purchased but the worst bugs were worked out by last winter. My experience was that weak signals could cause problems. A 75cm dish and a reboot after bad weather fixes that.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-12-31, 08:38 PM

Bortman, before keeping that one you bought, I'd call Shaw Direct since you're a longtime customer and see if you can make a better deal with them for a 630. Contact customer relations specifically. I have a 630 and a 530 still and I called some months ago to see if I could just exchange the 530 for the 630. They wouldn't do that. But I *did* get a good offer on a 630. Although I didn't take it. You might do better if you contact customer relations.

And by the way, if I'm not mistaken, you should be getting the U.S. networks timeshifting for free if you have the HD Sports bundle.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-01-06, 02:25 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
When I called to check the serial on my last 630 off craigslist, they offered me a "new" one for free. Just had to pay an extra $5/mo for 36 mos. I said no thanks, $150 now is cheaper than $180 on a 3-year commitment.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-01-07, 10:55 PM

Thanks jbobh for the info about the pricing at Futureshop.

They have the 630 on sale through to January 16th for $299. I picked one up this evening.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in