Samsung 8500 Plasma Connection to Shaw Direct - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-01, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Samsung 8500 Plasma Connection to Shaw Direct

I just purchased a Samsung 8500 plasma TV and would like to set-up the Samsung remotes for Universal control of the Shaw Direct HDPVR630 satellite box, but the set-up screen does not recognize Canadian Postal Codes (only U.S. zip codes). Does anyone know a way around this.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-01, 03:27 PM

Call Samsung for Technical Support
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-01, 04:01 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I don't believe this works in Canada. Most people use the remote from their provider to turn the TV on/off and if they want more functionality than that, they purchase a Harmony or similar programmable remote.

Many TV remotes don't have the capability that the STBs need - for example to access the recordings list, etc.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-09, 09:59 AM

Why not do it the other way around and set up the Shaw remote to the TV since the STB is used usually more than the TV would be. I have 2 Samsung TVs and that's how I have them set up.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-09, 11:30 AM

@ d_source

That's the best idea I've heard all day.

Excellent response.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-10, 12:12 PM

This does work. In your main setup for the tv, you would enter in your Canadian postal code. Make sure to put a space in after the first three digits. If there is no space, it won't recognize it. But with a space, no problems. I've had no issues pulling up Saskatoon on my F8500 and syncing the remote with Bell, and I have seen Shaw Direct on the list as well.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-18, 03:10 AM

Slice why does the tv have to know where you live for the remote to work???
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-12-18, 11:08 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I assume the TV has to provide a list of service providers for you to select, so that it will control the STB you choose. The problem, as discussed earlier in this thread is that the TV remote seldom has all the buttons required to control a STB, especially a PVR where you need buttons like "list" and "settings", etc.

Also, since the TV becomes more of a monitor for most people using a provider, the provider's remote becomes more important than the TV remote. The provider remotes can usually be easily programmed to turn the TV on/off and adjust the TV's volume. If you're using the smart TV functions though, then you will need to switch remotes or purchase a programmable remote like the Harmony.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2014-01-16, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

My apologies for a tardy response. Very busy holiday and business season so only checked the forum today. Thanks everyone for the input. Yes the best thing to do is sync with the STB remote which I attempted to do but it would not recognize my Samsung 8500. Will attempt again this weekend.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2014-01-19, 11:58 AM
Veteran

They don't "sync". Programming the Shaw Direct remote is purely one way.

You tell the remote to emulate a TV remote based on the code you give it. The remote just needs to have a code compatible with your TV.

That remote was designed/programmed in 2009/2010, so may not work with some newer TVs.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2014-01-19, 12:18 PM

This thread is about having the TV's remote control other devices, not using the SD remote. I believe that the newer smart TVs operate in a different manner and the TV is sending the signals to the STB via HDMI-CEC. That is why you choose the STB/provider in the TV's setup, instead of setting up the TV's remote to control the STB directly, or programming the STB remote to control the TV directly. If the STB is not in the "database" then a firmware update of the TV may be required, or as mentioned in post 6, the information needs to be entered into the TV correctly. The STB also needs to be HDMI-CEC compatible and obviously connected via HDMI.

HDMI-CEC also needs to be enabled in the TV - it's usually on by default. However, HDMI-CEC can be an issue for some people, as discussed in point 4 of the following HDMI Issues FAQ:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

As I mentioned earlier though, a lot of times the TV's remote doesn't really have all the functionality required by a PVR, so it's often better to use the STB remote since it has all the required functionality and have it simply turn the TV on/off & control volume. The "problem" with this is that many people are now using the smart functionality of their TVs (Netflix for example) and therefore need to use the TV's remote for that. If you've got a number of devices a Harmony remote may be a better choice to control everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in