Video On demand issue with Asus rt-n56u router - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 2013-09-08, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Video On demand issue with Asus rt-n56u router

Long time watcher first time poster. I just replaced my D-Link routers for an Asus rt-n56u and I have since lost VOD access. If I switch it back to the D-Link (even with factory restored settings) I can access VOD with no issues but as soon as I throw the Asus in the mix I lose access. The receiver (dsr-605) gets an IP address and I can see it in the ip table but I cannot access VOD, I have done a receiver reset and uplugged it for 10 minutes (as recommended) but still no VOD. There is so little useful info on the service and requirements on the Shaw Direct site, no port info or any useful t/s info. Anyone have any suggestions? I have been considering dropping my sat service maybe this is the straw that will get me to finally give up Shaw (even though I don't believe this to be an issue with Shaw Direct) or live TV altogether.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 2013-09-08, 10:51 PM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
Can you run the speed test in the setup for the VOD on the 605 that reports if Shaw thinks you have SD or HD speed, then trying to play a movie fails?

Or, you can't even connect to the Shaw on Demand servers to do the basic setup in the menu bar if you are using the Asus router?

Maybe do a ShieldsUP run from one of your computers with the D-Link plugged in, then swap routers and run the same test from the Asus.

Compare what ports are open.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 2013-09-09, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

everything comes back with Not Available. The speed test just runs and eventually the screen goes black with no results. However I would have been surprised if it would have worked considring everything else failed. I will try ShieldsUp tonight and see.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 2013-09-09, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Everything comes back the same for ShieldsUp with both routers. One odd thing however is that with the asus I got an IP address from Ontario were as with the D-Link I was getting a Shediac IP (which is where I'm actually located). I cloned my mac from the D-Link to the Asus and now I get my normal IP address but I still can't access VOD everything is still not available. I don't get it. Could Shaw have blocked me because of the geolocation inconsistency?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 2013-09-10, 12:01 AM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
Who's your ISP?

When you say you got your "normal IP address" did you move from Ontario to Shediac recently and did you have a static IP assigned on the D-Link?

I'm not sure cloning your MAC address onto a different router is going to help you.

If you're using a static address that is not on the correct subnet, you may find some services are still working OK but I could see traffic from/to your 605 getting confused.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

I'm with Rogers (dynamic IP for both d-link and asus), and somehow with the asus plugged in I was getting an IP that showed a geolocation in Ontario. I have never lived in Ontario. My router is a refurbished rt-n56u, so I wonder if Rogers didn't have the Mac for the router stored in their mac table? I still can't access VOD.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 10:40 AM

I'd be curious to see what happens if you patch your 605 directly into your Rogers modem temporarily without any router involved.

It should eliminate or support the geolocation theory, and prove whether VOD works at all on that box.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

It does work with the D-Link, just not with my new Asus.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 2013-09-11, 06:55 PM

If I was in your shoes I'd be asking myself exactly how refurbed is that Asus, and why was it returned in the first place.

Back when dinosaurs ruled the earth I had a goofy network issue where I was installing part of a batch of Ethernet cards that all had the identical MAC address burned in to them.

Might be time to ask why the router isn't acting the way it should, rather than why VOD isn't working. Return the router if you can.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 2013-09-12, 06:56 AM

Just a thought, but many have better results using the third party Merlin firmware for Asus routers. It's worth a shot..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in