stumped - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

stumped

Got a bit of a problem, wondering if any one has a suggestion. 5 receivers hooked up, a 600, 605 and three 505's.

The receiver in the living room, and the two upstairs receivers keep saying "no signal". The box is not loosing signal the TV is loosing signal from the box.

LNB has been replaced, all lines to the Multi Switch have been replaced, Multi Switch has been replaced, all connectors going from Multi Switch to the Receivers have either been replaced or connectors replaced and double checked.

Problems started when the Multi Switch was installed, since then every thing was replaced as mentioned above to try and fix the issues....no luck.

The stumper is what causes 3 TV's to do the exact same thing. Normally its the box, cable going from box to TV or the TV itself....All 3 receivers that are acting up are hooked up different, one HDMI, one AV and one Component.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-07, 08:56 PM

you could try moving the receivers around to see if the problem follows the receivers.

You didn't state if the multi switch was SD or some 3rd party
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-08, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Its a SD switch. Replaced with another SD switch.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-08, 07:06 PM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
Without breaking everything down to its most simple form (dish, 1 cable run, 1 tv, one receiver, no switch) then building permutations back up again... exactly what brand and model of switch?

If the problem started with installation of switch model A, and if the problem is actually due to a working switch model A, replacing with another working switch model A is not going to resolve the problem.

What are the total lengths of the cable runs, and is the switch powered?

Assuming it is a 4x8 or 5x8 Eagle Aspen from SD, have you got all 4 outputs from the dish hooked up to all 4 inputs on the switch?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-08, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

It is an eagle aspen, 4x8, powered switch. The 4 lines running from dish to switch are aprox 80ft.

What makes me scratch my head is that only 3 of the 5 receivers are affected and that its not the box loosing signal from the satellite, rather the TV loosing signal from the box. The receiver is not freezing up. Could a problem with the system be causing this because normally the box, TV or hdmi cable is at fault when this happens, but cant see it happening on all 3 TV's at the same time.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-08, 09:23 PM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
Are the 3 receivers with the problem all the 505's?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-08, 11:21 PM

Could be firmware in the 505's.

Winegard PR8800, YA1713, Zenith7777 Preamp, 42" Aquos 120hz, Samsung UP5000 Blu Ray/HDDVD, C/Ku Band, Directv H21, 22.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-09, 04:26 AM

It sounds like it is the multi switch. Speaking from personal experience I found that if you disconnect or connect any of the cables to the multi switch you have to disconnect any and all power to the multi switch. That means all power, including unplugging all receivers also. By not doing that I had the same problem as you, some receiver would work and some would be missing channels. I do not know if there is a way to restore the multi switch or not. I bought another multi switch. Hope this helps.

wade
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-09, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Two of them are 505's and one is a 600.

Ty Wade, so you found that with power going through the lines from a receiver that it damaged the switch as you were hooking it up?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-10, 04:29 AM

That is correct. I ruined more than one multi switch by forgetting to unplug just one of my receivers. As you know power is being fed from the receivers to the lnbf there for through the multi switch.
wade
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-11, 04:46 AM

I remember having the multi switch grounded but maybe not all the receivers.
wade
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-12, 01:03 AM
Veteran

Sure never damaged my 4x8 by connecting and disconnecting while rx's powered up.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2013-08-12, 02:59 AM

Definitely happened to me and more that once when I still had one of my receivers or multi switch powered up. No problems when everything was unplugged. Like DrSat said maybe I didn't have everything grounded properly.
wade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in