After 14 years - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-03, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

After 14 years

I've moved on.
I upgraded my internet (and phone) to Aliant FibreOp last fall.

After fighting to upgrade my receivers last year (and being told at the time that I would be good to go for the new satellite) then finding out about the new LNB that I would have to install and pay for, I decided to do a little price comparison with Bell.

Not only am I getting more for less, but my locals are all HD, the picture quality is much sharper, better on demand, upgraded internet again, and a whole home PVR.

When I called SD to cancel, the best they would offer me was the 650 and 20 dollars off my bill. When they asked why, and I mentioned FibreOp, he all but gave up trying to keep me.

I never thought I would give up satellite, but, so far, no regrets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-04, 08:26 AM

Plus, you'll never get rain fade or sun outages ever again!!!

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-04, 05:15 PM

I gave up on Shaw Direct about 6 months ago to get cable. We get more HD channels with Basic Cable then SD was offering at the time on the DI lite package. I was also getting fed up waiting for the satellite (which I realized was launched). Plus, I volunteer at the local community cable station.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-18, 04:26 AM
Rookie

Smile It's a shame we lost you.....

...as a customer (for Shaw Direct) but at the end of the day it's really all about your viewing pleasure.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-18, 08:28 AM

If holding market share is important to SD, I suggest their executives sit down and determine what kind of a barebones package they can put together for a VERY LOW monthly fee. Digital Lite was that idea, until price crawl brought it up to $40/mo. There is a segment of the population who can only justify a low monthly TV fee. These users are discovering the low-priced alternatives to conventional pay TV such as OTA, FTA, online streaming. Some users would be happy with a barebones package that doesn't include time-shifting or dozens of cable channels, and will be maintained for a long time at a low monthly fee. This is what some percentage of people with little discretionary spending money require to keep them as subscribers.

Motorized 1-metre Ku dish Avenger PLL LNB: 5W to 107W continuous.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-18, 11:22 AM
Rookie

I agree completely. But it's up to the execs to make that call; not the front line workers.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-20, 07:37 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danster View Post
Plus, you'll never get rain fade or sun outages ever again!!!
Perhaps rain fade, but sun outages effect everyone, be it bell SAT & Fibe, Shaw Direct & cable or just cable.It all depends on how your provider receives the channel.

I Slap Your Face So Hard You'll Turn Into A Clown!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-20, 07:41 PM
Veteran

The bottom line for me is still that Shaw Direct refuses to carry too many specialty stations and HD stations. They had the opportunity to correct that with the new satellite but it's still business as usual (as it has been since Shaw purchased Star Choice.) The Shaw clan seem to have a chip on their shoulder about carrying services that originate in Eastern Canada and shortchange TMN customers by refusing to carry the full suite of channels in HD. Until the Shaws get over their prejudices and decide to become a true national service that treats all broadcasters and customers equally, Shaw Direct will remain a second rate service. They also need to fix some of the technical issues with the channels they carry. The same issues (or types of issues) have been there for over 10 years with no sign of resolution.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-07-21, 09:20 AM

Quote:
The bottom line for me is still that Shaw Direct refuses to carry too many specialty stations and HD stations.
That has been Shaw's goal since getting control of Star Choice: "Pay More; Get Less"

Never figured out why as Shaw stock price hasn't gained as much as competitors in the last 10 years despite all the share buy backs. Seems the only big winners are the Shaw clan and cronies.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-09-06, 10:48 AM
Rookie

As for "specialty channels", I (personally) think we carry more then enough. I know we recently introduced "Salt & Light" (a religious channel). While it may not appeal to you personally, it was a big deal. That day we had hundreds of callers requesting to have it added on. Then there's "HiFi", "EQ" & "RAD X" ;not sure what the programs are like on these channels as I haven't bothered to watch them (I stick with my usual stations like Bravo, Retro, AUX, DejaView, and once....TVTropolis [they axed that station; damnit!!!!]). My point being, I just think there's a lot of other stuff to watch. But that's just me (personally). But of course I'm sure some dullard out there will be quick to label me as a shill because I happen to work for Shaw Direct, so me happening to think there is a positive side to ShawDirect must be because I'm an employee. Whatever.

As for there being technical issues that are still prevalent, keep in mind that it's not just the provider who can contribute to this. It can (and many times is) caused by the station themselves. So in other words, there are some channels where even if you switched to Bell or Telus or whomever....that exact same station (on another channel number) would have the same problem(s). Not always the case, but it does happen a lot.

I don't know about you guys, but I've noticed that AUX (it's a music video station) is always pixelated. ALWAYS. Very annoying. I've never escalated this matter because I usually watch it when I come home at the end of my shift and the last thing I'm going to do is call in and talk to a call center. I'll make a note of reporting it today though.

Side note : I'm kinda excited as we just received word that the new HD menus are out in beta testing (for employees only). I've heard they're pretty "slick".
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-09-13, 11:13 AM

ShawDirect_TSR - What's the word on whole home? How far away is this?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-09-14, 07:56 AM

I’m guessing once the HD menu/guide is released this will complete the 6.xx series units other than bug fixes.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-09-14, 09:49 AM

paddy - why do u say that?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-09-14, 12:56 PM

When will the new HD menu/guide be released? I'm thinking not very quickly,because with the new tv season launching right away that Shaw will not launch it in case it has bugs in it and people may have problems with recording shows. So I'm saying don't look for it until next summer. All we ever get is the carrot that it is being tested and looks pretty slick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in