Possible Line Static? Started When New LNB Was Installed... - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2013-06-22, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Possible Line Static? Started When New LNB Was Installed...

We received our new LNB on June 11 and got a refurbished 630 that arrived the same day. My husband installed the new LNB. We'd had our 630 for a long time, but it had an issue that just got worse and worse and it needed to be replaced.

So, this is what happened with the new refurbished receiver, then I'll comment on the new LNB:

The new receiver's given us problems from day one. It has many issues included a delay of 15-20 seconds before it will schedule a recording, not starting recordings on time and it's just totally sluggish. When we woke up today, it had obviously rebooted itself at some point and there was a message that said our HDD was totally full due to all of our saved recordings, so we'd better do something about it NOW! Well, problem is, we had no recordings, so it was a big mistake. I tried a PVR Flush and it did nothing to help. So I did a factory reset. As it restarted, it would get to the point where it was looking for a signal, it wouldn't find it, then it would turn itself off. It did that about five times. The fifth time, I unplugged it for five minutes, then when I plugged it back in, I was able to do a factory reset.

As an aside, it appears (and I was told) a factory reset is slightly different now with the new LNB and the V-code change. Once it starts up, you have to go to channel 250 and 252 or it doesn't have a signal come in. Thankfully I knew this before doing the factory reset myself, or things might have been worse.

Anyway, we've only had this receiver for 11 days and it's clear it's a bad one. So I called today to get them to send another one.

But I'm wondering if at least a couple of these issues might have to do with the installation of the new LNB too. One of the tech support people mentioned something about static on the line. Does anyone know about this? And if we have static, what can we do about it?

The funny thing is, even my 530 that's been *perfect* now for a year or so had a weird recording issue today. So it got me thinking about it.

The new LNB wasn't on with our older 630 (the one that was returned) so I can't compare behaviours between the two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2013-06-22, 09:18 PM

You could have a bad LNB, or a few bad connectors. The line itself is usually fine, but connectors will eventually wear down. I know a lot of technicians that are made to swap out connectors (thus the reason for a service loop) each time an LNB is swapped, as it eliminates one potential issue point straight away.

My advice (as I'm sure you don't want to spend nearly $1000 on a SuperBuddy) would be to get a small section of RG6 and connect it directly to your current LNB. Bring a small TV and the receivers in question outside, and test them with a new line that you know is good.

If the issue persists, it is either a bad LNB or receiver. If the issue is rectified, it is either a bad line, connection, or multiswitch.

The other alternative would be to have Shaw come out and test it all for you. The technician will make sure it all works before they leave - so it doesn't become an issue.

Cheers.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2013-06-24, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. After writing this, I decided to plug the 630 directly into the wall and take it out of the voltage regulator. The tech support guy I spoke to suggested this and I foolishly took his advice rather than just leave well enough alone until the new receiver arrived. Well, I guess that was the last hurrah for this poor newly refurbished guy, because it just went kaput. Once plugged into the wall, the lights danced around a bit, but that was it. It wouldn't turn on. No amount of TLC was able to get it working again.

So I have to conclude that the problems I had were associated directly with this very poorly refurbished unit. But I'm sure they'll send it out again to someone once they get it back.

On a funny note, we decided to plug in one of our 505s to have a second receiver until the new 630 arrives. I had to call tech support to get that V-code. And I got the exact same tech support guy I got the first time! Has that ever happened to anyone else? I don't think I ever got the same person twice ever before...

I told him that his advice to plug the 630 directly into the wall wasn't really so great...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2013-06-25, 12:04 PM

The issue with the 630 being direct to wall is that is oddly does fix a lot of issues. I have no idea why, but I believe it's something to do with the voltage regulation that's based inside the receiver itself. I'm not very versed in receiver technology, other than the basic guts and workings.

It's really unfortunate that the receiver died. If it was killed by such a small change, you definitely got a bad one.

There's a lot of support that has been set back due to the flooding out West. You'll notice a lot of the same employees are there for hours on end after their shifts - Shaw's trying hard to keep wait times down, which means long hours and the same support technicians.

I do feel bad for you. Hopefully everything works well!

Last edited by 57; 2013-06-25 at 01:42 PM. Reason: UQR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in