Looks like SD is removing Spokane option from new subscribers in east! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-06-21, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Location: Elliot Lake, ON: Shaw Direct HD-DSR605, Toshiba 34HF83, Yamaha DVD S1500 NTSC-PAL Region Free
Question Looks like SD is removing Spokane option from new subscribers in east!

Discussing with some friends the good and bad about SD, we noticed some changes.

New subscribers must now first select their province.

Then their US network feeds. Previously they could select EAST or WEST and then either feed from their selected region. Things have changed however.

Those in the West may choose between Seattle or Spokane and those in the East choose between Buffalo or Detroit.

HOWEVER, the problem is obvious when it comes to timeshifting!

Those in the west may choose between Buffalo and Detroit.

Those in the east have no choice and only get Seattle!

We actually discovered this by accident while trying to find SD bilingual packages.

(Those of us in the east currently subscribing to Spokane will have to be careful and hopefully have our choices grandfathered. In reality I have no idea how this may affect existing subscribers who want to modify their programming)

Last edited by Tembo; 2013-06-21 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Heading typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-06-21, 11:33 PM
Veteran

Shaw Direct doesn't carry Buffalo feeds anymore other than PBS Buffalo.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-06-22, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Location: Elliot Lake, ON: Shaw Direct HD-DSR605, Toshiba 34HF83, Yamaha DVD S1500 NTSC-PAL Region Free
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSat View Post
You have to pay an extra $5.04 for the Time Shift bundle if you want out of market U.S. locals along with Canadian locals from across the country. We should be lucky to have this option as US providers don't allow this at any cost.
Thanks Dr. Sat,

We always have included the Timeshift Bundle as one of our themes to access a second US feed. Although we're in Ontario we have the WEST feed with SPOKANE as our primary choice with EAST Detroit with PBS Buffalo as our TIMESHIFT selection.

As best as we can tell this will be grandfathered along with our Canada wide included TIMESHIFT channels.

However, the point I was making was that new SD subscribers in the east no longer appear to have any option to select the Spokane feeds. They are just stuck with Seattle for both HD and SD!

This may be the thin edge of the wedge in an attempt to phase out Spokane.
I sure hope not! Many of us find Spokane programming better than Seattle, just as so very many prefer PBS Buffalo over Detroit!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-06-22, 10:29 AM
Veteran

I think this is just an error on the website; there is no reason to stop providing this choice, unless there is a plan to remove the Spokane feeds. It's not like we really need them, though some people likely do watch the local news. Transponder capacity needs to be as efficient as possible, so I say remove them, do a bit of shuffling and then convert the transponder to mpeg 4.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-06-22, 10:41 AM
Veteran

IIRC, the days of Spokane on Shaw Direct were numbered until they could get a microwave/fibre feed, a few years ago.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2013-06-23, 10:32 AM

classicsat: I remember the same discussion a couple years ago with speculation that removal of those channels from the satellite would free up slots for two or three HD channels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in