How to get new LNB + receiver warranty - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-06-20, 01:58 AM

There are usually conditions to a 3 year term - like maybe no vacation stops or at least maintaining a minimum level of programming. Telus does this on their contracts,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-06-20, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVNut01 View Post
There are usually conditions to a 3 year term - like maybe no vacation stops or at least maintaining a minimum level of programming. Telus does this on their contracts,
With Shaw, the conditions on the 3 year term are very loose. As far as seasonal suspension goes, it just pushes the contract ahead the time that it's been suspended (so if it's cut off 6 months a year for the 3 years, you will have an additional 18 months 'added' - so you are paying for 3 years worth of programming).

The minimum level of programming is Digital Favourites, which is now $66.65/month, meaning that Gold Choice, Platinum Choice, Titanium Choice, and the Ultimate Choice are all available as well.

Otherwise, there's no crazy conditions. No limbs need to be sacrificed, nor first borns.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-06-21, 02:15 PM

I think that would be the programming difference in cost that the Customer Relations agent discussed on the phone with me. Because Digital Indulgence Lite is about $50. But you can't have that with the three-year rental term. So the programming would cost more. And by quite a bit, from what you've said here.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-06-26, 12:22 AM
Rookie

Shaw upgrades every customer that calls for a free service call knock your dish out of alignment
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-07-09, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

so I called last week. First, the LNB was $50, he never indicated that it would be installed via a tech visit, basically told me I could install it myself and if there was any problems call to schedule an install appointment. At the same time I told him about my malfunctioning DSR505, he said they could replace it. I asked if I would be sent a replacment 505 or the newer DSR600, he said it depends what they have in stock.

Monday morning purolator showed up with a refurbished dsr505 () that i have yet to activate, not sure if I even will bother waiting on hold to acvtivate it. They also want me to send back the old dsr505 (i guess so they can refurbish it and send this obsolete unit to some other lucky shaw direct subscriber) What hasnt shown up is the new LNB, I assumed they would be sent at the same time and now im wondering if its even going to show up, or if a tech is going to come install it? I was going to send back the old unit when purolator shipped the LNB but the letter said if they dont get it within 10 days they will charge $199 (WHAT!!!) I guess ill call purolator and possibly have them come to my house 3 times in one week

Another thing, I just realized my new TV wont even work with the 505, it will only accept HDMI or coax, so I can use the HDMI-DVI adaptor but I have no sound. That was a waste of $16 shipping charge.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-07-10, 08:52 AM
Veteran

See if your TV supports DVI audio in. Many do.

Otherwise you need extra hardware, and may as well bite the bullet and get a 600.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-07-10, 08:09 PM

Yes, our Sharp TV is like that. One of our HDMI inputs has some audio cable inputs beside it. The TV can be set to accomodate the sound coming from audio cables rather than the HDMI cable. Maybe yours has something similar.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-07-10, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick3501 View Post
so I called last week. First, the LNB was $50, he never indicated that it would be installed via a tech visit, basically told me I could install it myself and if there was any problems call to schedule an install appointment. At the same time I told him about my malfunctioning DSR505, he said they could replace it. I asked if I would be sent a replacment 505 or the newer DSR600, he said it depends what they have in stock.
If you were in fact charged for the LNB, I'd speak to Customer Relations and ask them to waive the cost because you're installing it yourself. They will probably give you the money back, minus the shipping charge for the LNB.

As for the 600 vs. the 505, if the CSR you spoke to actually suggested you could get a 600, you should follow up on that. I don't know why they wouldn't have any "in stock," so it sounds like the CSR should've arranged for that, if that's what the CSR said. Maybe you could call and ask to have the notes read back from that call. If it supports the idea that you could've received a 600, you should say you'd prefer one of those and return the 505 without activating it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in