xKu LNB Change - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-06-09, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

xKu LNB Change

Hello.

I have 4 receivers on my sd account.

3 in the house, and one in the detached garage.

I had an installer over and he changed the LNB on the house to the new xKu LNB and all house receivers are working. He noted that the receiver in the garage was on its own satellite, and the LNB is the old quad on that one. He had said that once he switched out the house SD would change the v-code on all my receivers.

True they did, and all receivers in the house work fine.
The receiver in the garage now reads no signal.

I am assuming this is because the LNB is still the quad.

My question is this.
Will simply switching the quad LNB to a new xKu solve the issue, or will there need to be more programming to the receiver?

Thanks
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-06-09, 10:37 PM

You are correct, your garage receiver should work if you get a xKU LNB. If you dont want to buy a new lnb you can phone in and ask them to send the old Vcode down for that receiver only. I did this and they agreed to do it. The second dish needs to be on your same property as your main dish - I told them my garage was too far from my house to run a wire from my main dish and I did not care about the new channels. Expect a long wait time to get through to someone as everyone is calling in right now. Good luck.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-06-09, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Awsome.

I had called them, and the csr gave me a "one time exception" and is sending me the xKu LNB free of charge..
I just wasn't sure if I had to do the whole channel 700 for one hour thing...

Thanks for your help

Last edited by paulzy123; 2013-06-09 at 10:47 PM. Reason: more details

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-06-11, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzy123 View Post
Awsome.

I had called them, and the csr gave me a "one time exception" and is sending me the xKu LNB free of charge..
I just wasn't sure if I had to do the whole channel 700 for one hour thing...

Thanks for your help
You're honestly quite lucky that they did that. Now that they've rid the HAFH for 2nd Home, xKu LNB tracking is massive within Shaw.

I'm surprised that they allowed you to get that. Quite awesome, really.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-06-13, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Lucky that when we had Star Choice install the installer put up two dishes and made note of it in is billing to SC. Now Shaw Direct has those notes, and since its all on one address they were able to grant an exception.

Paul
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-06-13, 01:26 PM

Is Shaw tracking outside sales of lnbs? I see a number of internet companies advertising
the new ones for an obscene price.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-06-13, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo617211 View Post
Is Shaw tracking outside sales of lnbs? I see a number of internet companies advertising
the new ones for an obscene price.
They are, as a matter of fact. I wouldn't be buying any of them, as Shaw has quite a few tricks up their sleeves for tracking cheaters (apparently).

Not saying it's an immediate threat, but for the price, it's certainly not worth the trouble.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-06-13, 05:31 PM

Bought XKu LNB and 600 receiver on US ebay last month (cost about $150 with shipping). Did self-install and called Shaw from a Canadian payphone to upgrade account from 505/quad. No issues (other than beng on hold for 90 mins.) Receiver numbers were obviously needed, but no questions were asked about the LNB other than to confirm it was an XKu. Service is working fine on all 3 sats.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-06-13, 10:22 PM

I'm a 10 year Shaw Direct Customer with 2 DVR 630's. I got the new KXu LNB for free. Thats the good news. The Shaw Direct installer got the LNB installed with no problems. Then the fun started:

He did a factory reset on both of my 630's. (Not sure why)
The remotes were on different address. That was lost when he did the factory reset, & he did not seem to know how to get the different address's back on each remote. I did that after he left. (His solution was to remove the remote antenna from one of the 630's, so it would not pick up the signal from the other remote. At one point I was asked if I ever took the remotes outside to use them. Yeah, I use them to control my gas BQ ! lol)

One of my 630's has an external HD Expander. I lost all my recording on that machine.

For the next half hour or so he was on the phone to Shaw Direct. When he hung up I asked him what was wrong. He said he could not get the Firmware "Target Version" to load. There was nothing in it. When I told him my "Current Version" was 9.22 & that was up-to-date, & that no target version would be coming probably till the fall he left!

During this long drawn out process my Channel numbering got changed, which I actually don't mind. My channels now start at 001 which SD list as Classic on their website. Funny I thought that starting at 001 was advanced. I must be wrong I guess.

Well at least everything is working ok, minus my recordings!!
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-06-14, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulC View Post
I'm a 10 year Shaw Direct Customer with 2 DVR 630's. I got the new KXu LNB for free. Thats the good news. The Shaw Direct installer got the LNB installed with no problems. Then the fun started:

He did a factory reset on both of my 630's. (Not sure why)
The remotes were on different address. That was lost when he did the factory reset, & he did not seem to know how to get the different address's back on each remote. I did that after he left. (His solution was to remove the remote antenna from one of the 630's, so it would not pick up the signal from the other remote. At one point I was asked if I ever took the remotes outside to use them. Yeah, I use them to control my gas BQ ! lol)

One of my 630's has an external HD Expander. I lost all my recording on that machine.

For the next half hour or so he was on the phone to Shaw Direct. When he hung up I asked him what was wrong. He said he could not get the Firmware "Target Version" to load. There was nothing in it. When I told him my "Current Version" was 9.22 & that was up-to-date, & that no target version would be coming probably till the fall he left!

During this long drawn out process my Channel numbering got changed, which I actually don't mind. My channels now start at 001 which SD list as Classic on their website. Funny I thought that starting at 001 was advanced. I must be wrong I guess.

Well at least everything is working ok, minus my recordings!!
That's definitely one rookie of a technician you had! I do feel bad, as he shouldn't have had to reset it unless it was literally the only thing to do.

I'm glad that everything is working for you though.

P.S; The advanced channel lineup's programming starts at channel 002, so that's an easy way to figure out what lineup you're on.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-06-14, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeTech View Post
They are, as a matter of fact. I wouldn't be buying any of them, as Shaw has quite a few tricks up their sleeves for tracking cheaters (apparently).

Not saying it's an immediate threat, but for the price, it's certainly not worth the trouble.
FWIW, people more knowledgeable than I am on the matter strongly disputed this point (regarding the xKu's ability to be tracked) in the HAFH thread.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-06-15, 10:59 AM

Having cracked a few open myself, I'm pretty wary about it myself. They're really not that insane of a technology.

Last edited by 57; 2013-06-25 at 01:39 PM. Reason: UQR
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-06-25, 01:52 PM

I just installed the xKu LNB and now I'm only getting some of the channels. I'm assuming I'm only getting channels from one of the satellites. The customer service person said that I will have to realign my dish but I question if this is really what I am supposed to do or did the service rep not program the receiver correct.

Do you have to realign the dish or should the channels automatically be there once the receiver gets the new v-code?
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-06-25, 11:03 PM
Veteran

Call back and select technical service, not customer service. The tech guy will want to go through a bunch of channel tests starting with Channel 700 to see how the signal is on each of the birds. If you didn't bump the arm to much you shouldn't have to realign. The channels should automatically appear when you get the right V-code. He will ask you if the v-code changed on your receiver. Also make sure he changes the v-code on all your receivers if you have more than one.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 2013-06-26, 12:11 AM
Rookie

You could always say your garage is over 200 feet from your house and they will change the V Codes back to 4352 I think.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in