When Will Japanese Come to SD? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-06-09, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

When Will Japanese Come to SD?

With all the new capacity on the G1 satellite, now will SD ever consider adding Japanese language programming? It's turned into my life mission to convince some outlet in Canada to offer Japanese language programming via broadcast television. I've been asking for literally decades. It's unavailable in any way to most Canadians from a Canadian broadcaster, and yet it's illegal to subscribe to Dish from the U.S. to receive Japanese programming.

OTA: Sony digital TV, Clearstream [email protected]' high, CM-7777 30 dB preamp; FTA: New 1.2-metre Ku-band dish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-06-09, 08:43 AM
Veteran

I don't about other providers but on Bell TV,Fibe & Rogers they have a ethnic channel dedicated to the Japanese community?

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-06-09, 08:50 AM

Location: Elliot Lake, ON: Shaw Direct HD-DSR605, Toshiba 34HF83, Yamaha DVD S1500 NTSC-PAL Region Free
Angry We had TV Japan on Rogers back in 2004 but Shaw still refuses to carry it!

Thank you Cyberham,

You've helped reinforce our requests, dating back to 2006 asking Star Choice and then Shaw Direct to offer TV Japan complete with their NHK feeds. For the record, our TV Japan subscription on Rogers Digital was costing us about $15 monthly but worth every Yen!

We've also asked for Euronews English and French feeds as well as DW TV.

Shaw seems to allocate a huge amount of spectrum to PPV and other revenue maximising services but ignore the international broadcasters except for the BBC World and few south Asian services.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-06-09, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

MCIBUS: You'll need to provide more detail. In NS at my address, we do have Bell satellite or Bell fiber optic TV, but I'm not aware of any Japanese language programming offered. We don't have Rogers TV in NS. Our only cable TV is from Eastlink.

Tembo: I used to subscribe to TV Japan from Rogers or Shaw cable (?) when living long ago in the Vancouver area. It was $15/month. A fine bargain. As soon as I moved elsewhere in B.C., Shaw did not carry the channel. I think TV Japan is now only available in small areas of B.C., Alberta and Ontario.

I agree with your comment about ignoring most International programming. This is my pet peeve: if Canadian broadcasters won't offer such programming, why are we restricted from receiving it from an American provider when the signal is literally hitting me at this moment as supplied by Dish?

OTA: Sony digital TV, Clearstream [email protected]' high, CM-7777 30 dB preamp; FTA: New 1.2-metre Ku-band dish.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-06-09, 09:24 AM
Veteran

I know Bell Fibe has TV Japan and I do believe Bell TV has it as well. If you have access to Bell Fibe and you can get it, TV Japan is located on channel 745, not sure if Bell Fiber Optik carries TV Japan but I'm assuming if Bell Fibe carring it theyt may have it as well.. Not sure what it is on Bell TV. Not sure of the price either. It should be noted Bell Fibe has over 100 ethnic channels. I believe only Bell ^ Rogersoffer the largest selection of ethnic services. I'm not sure whyt SD doesn't offer TV Japan or other ethnic services, but thats a large portion of the viewing public where SD could make a KILLING as most ethnic services are expensive.

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-06-09, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

You are correct that TV Japan HD apparently is available on Bell Fibe. But Bell Fibe service is only available in Ontario and Quebec. I'm in Nova Scotia. Bell satellite does not have TV Japan according to their website. Bell appears to have a more complete international offering.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-06-09, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Japanese TV from Sony

Just discovered that Sony is now experimentally live streaming NHK World TV English via the Opera TV store accessible now for free if using a Blue Ray DVD player. Internet-equipped Sony TV support will be added in future.

See story here: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/info/info08.html

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-06-09, 11:14 AM
Rookie

Already free via computer:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/w/movie/

NHK World also has ios/andoid apps to watch live: http://http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/app/info/index_en.html

...however NHK World and TVJapan are not the same thing.

Last edited by KnowBody; 2013-06-09 at 11:32 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-06-09, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

NHK World TV is English only and provides only NHK-produced programming. This service is good for foreigners who don't understand the Japanese language. NHK World Premium is the equivalent service but in the Japanese language and is watched mostly by expat Japanese people. TV Japan is a Japanese language TV service packaged in New York City with a combination of NHK and other programming from Japan.

If reasonably priced, I would subscribe to NHK World, NHK Premium and TV Japan.

But I would not buy 50 channels that I don't want just to get the privilege of then buying these channels I do want. For example, Shaw Direct offers Oasis HD which is an excellent channel. But first I need to expand my current Digital Lite package to a higher level package (Bronze minimum) before I have the right to buy Oasis HD. In other words, it would cost me $23+ / month more than Digital Lite costs just to get Oasis HD.

Did you know New York City actually offers NHK World TV via an OTA digital Japanese channel? And they have NHK World HD via cable too. I guess I have big city envy.

I have watched NHK World provided free on the Internet but you must either dedicate a computer permanently connected to your big screen TV, or you must connect your computer to your big screen TV each time you want to watch NHK. The first method is expensive; the second is inconvenient.

Since I have a Sony Internet-capable TV that already receives youtube and many other sites directly from the Internet by pushing a few buttons on the TV remote, I'm excited that soon Sony may offer directly to TV what is now being offered to blue ray players: NHK World.

I don't enjoy watching TV on a small-screen PC. And watching TV on a tiny-screen smartphone is a clever marketing scheme to sell phones that is of zero interest to me.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-06-10, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

So I figured out how to interface my old laptop with S-Video output to a composite video input on my TV. I am now watching NHK World English from the Internet on my big screen. The quality is quite good. I feel good I have increased my arsenal of free programming and added a new channel that is interesting to me.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-06-11, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

When on the west coast, 58W was what first interested me in satellite TV reception. At that time, I accummulated enough satellite equipment including two 10-foot mesh dishes to tackle the task of receiving that satellite at just a little higher than 7 degrees elevation. In BC, trees are a problem so I never had the right situation to install the dishes. Here in NS, elevation of 58W is 38 degrees and I would probably need an 8~10-foot dish. But I'll probably be satisfied with the Internet signal now that I have it connected to my big screen.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-06-14, 11:02 PM

Location: Elliot Lake, ON: Shaw Direct HD-DSR605, Toshiba 34HF83, Yamaha DVD S1500 NTSC-PAL Region Free
Smile CRTC Approves addition of NHK World TV (English Service)

In Decision 2013-289 handed down 14 June 2013 the CRTC has approved NHK World TV for carriage in Canada. Although the application was submitted by Telus the approval is effective for all BDUs and DTH providers.

Here is an extract:

Addition of NHK WORLD TV to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution

The Commission approves an application to add NHK WORLD TV to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution (the list) and amends the list accordingly. The revised list is available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca under “Broadcasting Sector.”
Introduction

1. The Commission received an application from TELUS Communications Company (TELUS) to add NHK WORLD TV, a non-Canadian English-language service, to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.

2. TELUS described NHK WORLD TV as a 24-hour 100% English-language news channel consisting of news and information reporting on Japan’s politics, business culture and entertainment, as well as world news and Asian lifestyle programming. Its target audience is the large number of Canadians of Japanese descent, with family in Japan or with work interests in Japan. The applicant stated that the programming broadcast on this service would also likely be of interest to a wide range of Canadian adults, as is the case with the other 130 countries around the world receiving NHK WORLD TV. Its programming will be sourced from Japan.

This is very different from TV Japan as the service is a 24hour English service from Tokyo much in the line of BBC World.

Come on Shaw Direct; we really need this!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-06-15, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Tembo for this news. This is so ironic it's almost spooky. June 14 is the day I terminated my subscription TV service since I determined I no longer need their service (at least with their current pricing model) considering the available alternatives. I wonder how the CRTC determined in their lofty wisdom that NHK World (English) is "OK" but NHK Premium (Japanese) or TV Japan (Japanese) is not "OK" for Canadians to view. The latter two services are what Japanese speakers in Canada would want to view. The concept of a government department determining what broadcasts you can view is so ridiculous. It makes you laugh out loud until you remember they are spending your money to do this.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-06-15, 08:42 AM
Veteran

I tend to find when it comes to Ethnic services be it of the language of that ethnic channel or if its "english" but aimed at that ethnic group the CRTC seems to approve it. While its up to any provider to provide it thats another matter.

But since its been approved I can;t comment on the other prtoviders but I'm guessing Bell Fibe might carry it since their carring

TV Japan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in