universal remote that works with HDPVR 630?? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-06-06, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

universal remote that works with HDPVR 630??

I am in an environment that seems to have troubles keeping the remotes in working condition I cant keep ordering new ones from Shaw due to cost so I was wondering what inexpensive universal remotes have others found to work well with the 630 including PVR guide functions etc.

Dave
VE3DVY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-06-07, 03:10 AM
Rookie

Any Logitech Harmony remote will work. I've been using Logitech Harmony remotes for years with no problems
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-06-07, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Of course a harmony works but the cheapest is more than the Shaw remote. I'm looking for a less expensive alternative. don't care if it has the UHF IR only is just fine.

Dave
VE3DVY

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-06-07, 07:23 AM

Most el-cheapo programmable remotes will work with the Shaw equipment, but you'll find that there may not be direct replacements for some of the common buttons (you'd have to go through the menu system), or that the replacements won't be labeled the same way.

Depending on what it is about your environment that kills remotes, maybe investing in a somewhat higher-end & more robust model will keep you from constantly replacing cheaper ones.

Brad.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-06-07, 09:22 AM
Veteran

Get one of (or stock up on) the better OneForAll remotes (Most of the Cable remotes are, as are some Radioshack(US) and a couple RCA brand remotes). You can program many or them with a PC interface, meaning you can set on up and clone it, or custom program another model. It is mostly an an unofficial enthusiast thing rather than official thing. The enthusiast community has all sorts of codes. I have been using them as my go to remote for a decade or so, starting with the Cinema7, currently using the 8820.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-06-07, 09:56 AM
Veteran

The OneForAll option can be rather daunting for non-technical people. I tried it and gave up after realizing how much time and effort was involved. (I still have a new remote and the programmer sitting in a box.)

Good programmable remotes are generally expensive and the cheap ones are generally limited in functionality. If price is the main consideration, XS Cargo has several "learning" remotes for under $12.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-06-07, 10:12 AM
Veteran

Yes the learning curve is a bit high, but is easy flying afterward.
You don't need to learn everything though.

But myself, with a fundamental knowledge of the subject, and built my own interfaces (rather than buy the pre made one), and learned what I needed pretty fast, and get a custom upgrade running and the remote configured the way I like in 15 minutes. I would call myself intermediate.

I will appreciate some do not wish to get as technically involved in the subject as JP1.x programming may need.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-06-07, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoes View Post
Of course a harmony works but the cheapest is more than the Shaw remote. I'm looking for a less expensive alternative. don't care if it has the UHF IR only is just fine.
You can get the Harmony 300 for around $30. It's well worth it, as the Shaw remotes have never been able to control all the functions of my televisions and I have not found any other universal remote that can fully control a Shaw box other than the Harmony remotes. The computer-based setup is fantastic. I use a 300 for my bedroom TV and a 650 for my living room and wouldn't have it any other way.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-06-07, 02:22 PM
Veteran

I think the issue is that, for whatever reason, remotes don't last long so even $30 or $40 is too much money. That's an expensive dog chew toy.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-06-07, 08:21 PM

My one year-old son threw my first Harmony 650. It it still sitting, broken, inside a drawer. I can't bring myself to throw it out. It was a $65 lesson to never leave it within his reach. Believe me, I know this all too well.

The point I was trying to make is that for $30 the Harmony 300 is a much better remote than the Shaw Direct IR remote for $25. You're not going to find anything for less money that works worth anything, and cheap "Learning" remotes are a pain in the ass to deal with - if they even work at all.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-06-07, 08:46 PM

Motorola "VOOM" remotes do everything you need for a 600 or 605 - including menus and guides. I don't have a 630, so I can't say if any functions would be missing for that box. These remotes can often be had for less than $15 on ebay and elsewhere.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-08-10, 11:46 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickerdoodles View Post
My one year-old son threw my first Harmony 650. It it still sitting, broken, inside a drawer. I can't bring myself to throw it out. It was a $65 lesson to never leave it within his reach. Believe me, I know this all too well.

The point I was trying to make is that for $30 the Harmony 300 is a much better remote than the Shaw Direct IR remote for $25. You're not going to find anything for less money that works worth anything, and cheap "Learning" remotes are a pain in the ass to deal with - if they even work at all.
Agreed the 300 is a good remote. Picked one up today at a Walmart that was blowing them out at 19.99 (went to several WM's but only one had them at all). Think I may even pick up a 2nd one for gift or future use as it seems they aren't making this model any more. How can you go wrong for $20?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in