Any Shaw Direct Exchange Program coming? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 2013-06-03, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Location: Elliot Lake, ON: Shaw Direct HD-DSR605, Toshiba 34HF83, Yamaha DVD S1500 NTSC-PAL Region Free
Angry Any Shaw Direct Exchange Program coming?

After reading all the 2011 postings re the exchange program that BEV ran to phase out and replace current MPEG2 receivers I cannot help but wonder if this is a possibility with Shaw Direct.

If they really want to eliminate mpeg2 distribution and 5xx receivers then surely they are going to have to offer subscribers replacement equipment in order to retain them.

Not even sure if they can switch any pre-existing mandatory carriage signals to mpeg4 as long as some subscribers cannot receive them.

Are we going to see a general mail out to subscribers perhaps.

Not everyone is going to be willing to purchase new equipment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 2013-06-03, 08:28 AM

Well maybe.
I could see an opt-in program of sorts. Put out inserts or notifications where customers need to sign up for replacement program to get a 600. If customer does all the leg work (fill out form, connect new receiver, dispose of old receiver) it could be a free upgrade. But many people may feel uncomfortable doing that, so a $50-$75 charge to have someone come out with new equipment to do a swap. You would only be going after customers over 3 years since any new accounts would already have new equipment, so only accounts in good standing should qualify.

SD could 'de-commision' the old receiver when the new one gets activated so it never gets sold or used again. That would cover all older receivers except the 530. Not sure what they could do there. Could be a case-by-case depending on the number of 530s still out there.

Rogers did something similar last year when they got rid of analogue with new free simple cable boxes they sent out for older TVs. My aunt asked me to come out to hook up. She was fine with Rogers needing to upgrade their infrastructure and did not feel slighted or put out, but did not want to have to connect any cables herself.

The question is, How eager is SD wanting to go mpeg4?

Another benefit would be they could stop transmission of all SD channels with HD counterparts and just channel map the HD channel to the old SD slot. That would probably free up more space than a move to mpeg4.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 2013-06-03, 11:53 AM
Veteran

There will not be any swap-out program. SD is a business concerned only with profit. They are willing to make that profit without an exchange for service.

You need to negotiate on your own if you want a receiver swap.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 2013-06-03, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchoice View Post
There will not be any swap-out program. SD is a business concerned only with profit. They are willing to make that profit without an exchange for service.

You need to negotiate on your own if you want a receiver swap.
Agree. SD had (has) some "hidden" programs for some time but it's case by case, you need to negotiate. I doubt there will be any free exchange. I remember I was able to get in the last 2 years a 630 for half the listed price (then) and exchange an old SD receiver for a 605 for $50 probably more than a year ago. I tried to get one more exchange (have 2 505 sitting around) but with no success ( was ready to pay the $50 fee then).
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 2013-06-03, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Location: Elliot Lake, ON: Shaw Direct HD-DSR605, Toshiba 34HF83, Yamaha DVD S1500 NTSC-PAL Region Free
Shaw Direct's Upgrade Offer

Thanks for the comments folks.

Last week before we all learned details of the new channel listing and what was and was not included, a Shaw Direct CS made the following upgrade offer to me (no mention of the DSR600 model as it has no componenent output):

" I can offer you a free dish upgrade, and one of the following 2 receivers options below, keeping in mind using component cables with either of these 2 receivers will not cause a downgrade in the resolution of the HD picture.
Option number 1: Try to find a DSR605 at a retail store like Future Shop, Best Buy etc pay the upfront price of $199.99+ tax and I will apply either a lump sum credit of $125.00 to your account, or a monthly discount of $10.00 off for 12 months.
Options number 2:Purchase a new HD DVR630 for $149.99+ tax (normally $399.99+ tax), charges will be applied to your account and they do not 2 lines from the dish, but I can offer you a discounted install of $50.00+ tax normally $99.00+ tax. "

She also gave me a detailed explanation of why the DSR505 plans to upgrade to MPEG4 capability could not be followed through with:

"We had been informed by our software developers that the DSR505 would be upgradeable, and is why we had informed our customers of this. When the receivers were tested with the new software download they had way too many issues, and were unable to handle the new software update. It was not feasible to continue to try and force this download and spend more time and effort trying to get this to work on these receivers. Instead the company decided to invest in building a whole new line-up of receivers that are far more superior with more memory capacity. Plus the DSR5XX series were built with DVI connections, which was the latest and greatest video connection at the time, but right after they were built HDMI came out. So it was decided that a new receivers would be built to include HDMI connections, as well as many other software enhancements. Since then we have been assisting customers upgrade to newer models."

I haven't yet figured what to do as it appears that once I switch to a 6xx box I will lose acces to WNED PBS Buffalo, currently on advanced ch 81, but missing in the"new" SD channel list.

It certainly looks like replacement/upgrade is only on a per-customer basis but right now there's a lot of info still lacking from SD.

I'm tempted to accept the DSR605 offer while there is still stock available as I want to retain the component outputs (which are sure to disappear on future models)!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 2013-06-03, 08:34 PM

Tembo you will want to update your ird. If you can find a 605 cheap on ebay then fine , but they seem to be offered at 199. Even with a converter from hdmi to component (50 ish) you are looking at 250 ish for what you want to achieve. Get the 630, has the outputs you want and has the pvr.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 2013-06-03, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks frenchhomer

We have an excellent source for brand new DSR605s for $199 and Shaw Direct is offering us a lump sum credit of $125 on our account when they activate it for us.

No specific offer from them re installing the lnb for the new bird.

However they did offer installation of a 630 for $49.99 including lnb and second feedline.

Right now our inclination is to "grab" the 605 while they're available.

BUT, can you or anyone with a 605 or 630 please tell us if PBS Buffalo is stilll coming through on advanced ch 81 - and is there anything on classic ch 365 - which should be PBS Buffalo?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 07:38 AM

I get "PBS B" on ch 388 (Classic). I assume that's Buffalo, because it's a different feed than the PBSEHD. I don't watch PBS enough to be able to tell you which actual channels they are.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 09:25 AM

From the list , it should be: http://www.mcquarrieweb.ca/TVGuideWe...cation=ADVEAST

I will check at home, I have both 630 and 605 with the new LNB. I don't see any reason why a channel, if available on an older receiver not to be available on a newer one.

630 is my first DVR, but after using it for a while, I hardly could live without it . Depends what you watch , but if you like TV series is gold.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 09:29 AM
Veteran

I too have 388 on my 605/Classic G1 new HD lineup as PBS-B. I am not subscribed to it though.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Wink Thanks for the info folks.

Looks like Buffalo's staying so I'm going to get a 605 tomorrow!

Classicsat, are you sure you're not subscribed to Buffalo?

From when we joined SC/SD in 2006 it seemed that everyone selected Buffalo and Spokane feeds because Detroit and Seattle were the HD feeds.

Even now when selecting services a choice must be made as to which feeds are chosen.

But maybe with all the chaos surrounding the new channels some are coming as freebies for now.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 08:06 AM

Tembo - I have 6xx receivers and have PBS Buffalo on ch 81 adv. What you should note is that when I signed up, I requested the Detroit feed, so Shaw gave me the HD and SD versions of the Detroit PBS feed. Ch 81 was PBS Detroit in SD. I learned after that I could switch my programming to the Buffalo feed. The only difference was that the SD version on ch 81 became PBS Buffalo instead. If your not getting the Buffalo feed, it may be b/c you may need to call in and have them switch you to it like i did.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 08:32 AM

I just called in. Since I upgraded my 530 to a 630 last year, but kept the 530, they're not giving me a deal to upgrade it again (or an SD to a PVR). They want $300 for the 630. But I am getting one (for now) 600 to replace one of my really old 400-series SD boxes for $50. Plus $50 for the LNB (installed).
Again, while she didn't say so, I'm sure I'm not getting a decent PVR deal because I already upgraded once.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 10:59 AM
Veteran

I am sure I don't subscribe to Buffalo.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 04:33 PM
Rookie

I suspect that there might be an increase of used equipment on the market from the 'South of Canada' crowd due to the recent changes. I know that I'm waiting to see where NFL ST goes this year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in