Shaw Direct No Speak English - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-06-02, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Shaw Direct No Speak English

Has Shaw hired reps who used to work at Bell? I have come across many reps recently with heavy accents and a poor command of the English language. This makes them very difficult to understand. It used to be that when you called Shaw Direct, 99% of the time you would get a rep with fluent English. I realize that they have a call centre in Quebec but I am originally from Montreal - I am not talking about French Canadian accents.

If I didn't know better, I would guess that they now have call centres offshore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-06-02, 08:29 PM

IF they don't yet, I'm sure they will eventually. Seems to be the MO of most companies now days.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-06-02, 08:46 PM
Veteran

Perhaps those temporary foreign workers that take the place of unavailable Canadians??

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 11:06 AM
JCM

When you are asked if you want English (push 1) or French (push 2). Push 2 and you will get a Quebec operator and then ask for an English (most are bilingual) operator.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-06-05, 10:37 PM
Veteran

There are no non-Canadian call centres, but if you think of the diversity in Montreal, Mississauga, and Calgary, it shouldn't be surprising that not all agents speak the best English.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-06-06, 08:29 AM

I could care less where the person is from, but if they cant communicate with me when COMMUNICATIONS is essentially their job description, I look elsewhere. I think it's awesome though that a Punjabi customer from Mississauga can get excellent customer service from the person on the other end. I digress.......
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-06-07, 10:17 AM

It's as simple as asking for another operator. If you cannot get over the fact that Canada has immigrants, maybe you should just live in the country on solar power - because the world is definitely not for you.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-06-07, 11:01 AM

As JCM said push 2 for french, when the op comes on say you meant for english, 99 percent the op has good command of english and will help you. I used that trick with dell in the past, no offence against foreign accents but I find they are hard to understand.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-06-07, 12:03 PM

I find French Canadian accents far harder to understand than many of the "foreign" accents I encounter on the phone.

Last edited by 57; 2013-06-07 at 04:10 PM. Reason: UQR
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-06-08, 07:36 AM
Veteran

^^^^
Try watching some British TV shows. You wonder if they're speaking "English". ;-)

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-06-08, 09:04 AM
Veteran

To be fair, if these individual arrived in Canada with the last little while, and they came from a country where they spoke very little English, its unfair to say they can't speak English. I could say the same thing about people from Australia, New Zealand.; They speak with accent and its sometimes hard to understand them as well.

There working at job that pays somewhat better then mini wage. So to say they shouldn't work at it because there skills of speaking English are not the greatest is unfair. You could say the same thing about those working at Tim Horton's, other establishments that serve the public.They have right to work at job that pays way more then minimum wage just like anyone else that has better speaking skills then they might have.

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-06-08, 11:16 AM

Location: Elliot Lake, ON: Shaw Direct HD-DSR605, Toshiba 34HF83, Yamaha DVD S1500 NTSC-PAL Region Free
What a fascinating but sadly very true topic

Well folks you do all realise that this subject is oh so touchy!

BUT, sadly the problem is not always where the call centre is located or where the person was born, it is very often their lack of ability to communicate CLEARLY in English or French, AND, so very often the call centre employees really don't have a clue as to what they are talking about.

The fault however is not the immigrant in Canada or the call centre employee in somewhere like New Delhi who is trying to make a living but is being employed (directly or indirectly) by a cheapskate Canadian company - and we all know there are lots of these; we deal with them daily!

One call centre employee off-shore that I had a very productive discussion with actually thought our household Electric supply current in Canada was 400VDC!!!

For the record, I came to Canada from Ireland in 1965 - and people here still have trouble understanding my accent!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-06-08, 02:29 PM
Veteran

Really, if you are difficult to understand verbally, how does it make sense to employ you in a call centre? Seriously lets place people in the right jobs that they are able to do. How does it help to employ people who can't do the job? Not good for the company, not good for them when they have irate customers.
BTW MCIBUS there is their, then is than .
If I cannot understand someone who is supposed to communicate with me as a major part of their job and I speak one of the official languages, who is that unfair to?? Both!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-06-08, 02:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
its unfair to say they can't speak English
The other side of this coin is when an employee is unable to communicate effectively with a customer. What does this do to business? If the employee doesn't understand English well enough to take your order, what's the outcome?

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 2013-06-08, 02:53 PM

Location: Elliot Lake, ON: Shaw Direct HD-DSR605, Toshiba 34HF83, Yamaha DVD S1500 NTSC-PAL Region Free
Well gzink,

I've never worked in a call centre or in customer service - I knew my limitations - and at 72 I'm happily retired from the GTA rat race!

But the problem we face nowadays is not always just lack of CS reps ability to communicate verbally in English.

They just have very little knowledge of the business or products they are representing. All too often people are parachuted into jobs such as CS at Shaw with minimal training or understanding of what they need to do or be able to handle.

It's a no-win situation for everyone; irate customers, frustrated employess and then corporate management who have no idea why customers are mad at them!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in