HD On-Screen Guide - Page 26 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #376 of 402 (permalink) Old 2015-03-11, 12:06 PM

not sure if this feature was there before or not but...

if you press the down arrow while just regular watching, you'll get a small status update banner indicating signal strength, hard drive space and a few other things
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #377 of 402 (permalink) Old 2015-03-11, 12:06 PM

Checked at lunch and my 630 was targeted but not my 600's. Left the 630 to download and will play with it when I get back later
post #378 of 402 (permalink) Old 2015-03-11, 12:25 PM

The only thing I can find new that I like is the double-click Guide button to see a full-screen guide. Such an obvious choice that took so long to implement.

... Mike

post #379 of 402 (permalink) Old 2015-03-11, 01:45 PM
Veteran

One flaw I'm noticing with the new update is channel surfing. The channel banner is hit or miss when pressing the channel UP/DOWN button to go up or down the channels. Sometimes it shows up and sometimes it doesn't. Very odd.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #380 of 402 (permalink) Old 2015-03-11, 02:48 PM

Just discovered something else: transparent onscreen displays. So now I can actually see through the too-long info banner into the CNN or CJOH news banner. And the video is visible through the Guide INFO box. Wonder if there is a transparency setting now somewhere?

... Mike
post #381 of 402 (permalink) Old 2015-03-11, 08:03 PM

No need to always double-click the Guide button to get the full screen guide.

Goto: Options --> Preferences --> User Settings & Appearance --> Guide Width

Now you can set it to full screen permanently.
post #382 of 402 (permalink) Old 2015-03-11, 08:26 PM

Good point, sir; but unless I'm searching ahead to see what's on much later (like, this past Sunday, since the time change, which left us Shaw East users two hours behind!) I personally still often like to see the show description in the right, while surfing.

... Mike
post #383 of 402 (permalink) Old 2015-03-11, 10:10 PM

I like that it announces starting and finishing recordings.
post #384 of 402 (permalink) Old 2015-03-11, 11:03 PM

Yes, you're absolutely right about the show description, Mike. I hadn't played around with the new guide long enough to realize how much I missed it.
post #385 of 402 (permalink) Old 2015-03-12, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJoe View Post
I like that it announces starting and finishing recordings.
I dislike it. There is no need to be reminded that it started or ended recording a show... Its intrusive and imo useless.
post #386 of 402 (permalink) Old 2015-03-12, 03:15 PM

Have to say that I too like the pop-ups, though there should be an option to disable them for those that want it. Still waiting for my 600's to be targeted!
post #387 of 402 (permalink) Old 2015-03-12, 10:37 PM

I like the full screen guide. I use the guide to find programs to set up recordings and the lengthened time shown along with the skip forward one screen is just what I need. I wish that when the picture was taken off the screen, the sound would be muted also.

One would think that with these new "alerts" being put in, they would have added an alert for when there was a conflict with 3 things being scheduled to record and it isn't going to record one of them. That is a feature that is sadly lacking! Whenever you have a number of things being recorded at the same time, particularly if some of them last more than an hour, you have to go check that there are no conflicts and even then, the machine makes changes after you check.

I don't know if this feature was there before but I discovered that when adding time to finishing late you can add 10 minutes by using the FF button.
post #388 of 402 (permalink) Old 2015-03-13, 08:25 AM

I don't mind the recording announcement, but it only need to be up for 2 seconds or so. I haven't timed it, but it seems to be up for about 10 secs.
An option for on/off would be nice though.
post #389 of 402 (permalink) Old 2015-03-13, 05:15 PM

One thing I have noticed with the update is there seems to be a bit more delay in the unit responding to commands. I have several sequences programed into my Harmony remote that worked before but I have had to add delays at certain places to get them to work now. For example, I have a sequence to turn closed caption on and off. When I used it the with the update, it missed one of the down commands and I ended up changing the language. Inserting a delay after the second OK fixed that but then I discovered I needed to put in another delay before the EXIT to get back to the regular picture. It works now but a 9 step sequence has become 11 steps and takes a few seconds longer.
post #390 of 402 (permalink) Old 2015-03-14, 04:32 PM
DHC Supporter

Yup experienced that my self a bit more delay in responce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in