HD On-Screen Guide - Page 22 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #316 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-09-08, 11:31 AM

I had this same problem, and decided that a factory reset and re-activation were in order.

After I did that, I now have no problem with my smart recordings and the duplicate channels aren't interfering with the recordings anymore.

It seems as if the reformatting allowed the new guide to reinstall more cleanly.

YMMV

Last edited by 57; 2014-09-08 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #317 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-09-08, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
I never realized that Shaw Direct had a Facebook page but just found it and had a look see. Of the dozen or so entries I looked at from users they all were very much unhappy with the new guide. This goes along with my sentiments too. The loss of favorites and the new user system is a common complaint. The new color options for the guide in my opinion are a disaster. I will admit that my eyes are not as good as they used to be but I have great difficulty reading the guide in its present coloring in either of the two modes and especially the highlighted portions. Yes there are some improvements and I appreciate them but it is still very slow. I really hope that SD reviews the color scheme and bring back a decent favorites. Also get rid of all those dupiicate chanells
The reason you see most people as not liking the guide on facebook, is because only people who are upset or don't like it, will post. People who REALLY like it might too, but for the most part people who are indifferent (most people likely) don't bother to post about it in facebook or twitter, or here. It's like the 630 complaint thread here. If you went based on that, you'd think that EVERYONE hates it and it's the worst piece of hardware ever made. But in reality, majority of people don't have any issues, or maybe a rare reboot, but nothing that would make them upset. Just saying this for people who assume that all SD customers hate the new guide and should listen to their customers.

Having said that, I hate that the duplicate channels are included in the favorites system. HATE it.

Last edited by johnnucleo; 2014-09-08 at 04:25 PM. Reason: i can't spell
post #318 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-09-08, 04:09 PM

I have never had any real problems withe the 630 other that an occasional reboot and I prefer the new guide over the old one and yes hate the duplicate channels too

Last edited by 57; 2014-09-08 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed

post #319 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-09-08, 04:33 PM

the duplicates issue is definitely an oversight by SD. There is no reason at all for the system to include two mappings of channels in the favorites selection. It can't be that hard to code the firmware so that only channels manually selected by the user are included, and not every other mapped channel location that corresponds with that station.

SD should have just turfed the old mapping from the get go when they added the 3rd satellite. I get that they left it because people had timers and series recordings set to those old channel #'s, but just make the change and deal with the aftermath right away. Most people with the original channels in their timers, probably STILL have those channel #'s in their timers, so waiting to delete the old mapping is not helping anything. It's just delaying the inevitable annoyance experienced by SOME customers.
post #320 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-09-08, 10:43 PM

I appreciate the point of view you make. There are however other things about the new guide that stink. For example they have gotten rid of the favorites and replaced it with some sort of ownership scenario. How useless. If you try to use this as a type of favorites and lets say you are in one of your chosen ones you cannot change to any channel that is not in that favorite without going through an elaborate procedure of changing your favorits (come owner). Why the heck did they not leave the favorites as it was in the previous guide. Another thing about this guide although I admit it is the same as the old guide is if you want to add or remove a channel from the (Ownership come Favorites) it is quite the task. For example if you want to add or remove say channel 501 you cannot type in the number you have to start at number 1 and work your way up to 501 by paging up. A tedious procedure.
post #321 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-09-09, 10:54 AM

Couldn't agree more that the new favorites system is terrible.
post #322 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 02:56 PM

I too find 'search' incredibly slow compared to the last guide.
Additionally, whether it's the new guide or the new software, the reboot time for a front-panel reset seems to take at least twice as long as it used to.
If I had a recording in progress and needed to reset, I lost about two minutes of the recording.
Now, I lose about four minutes while the guide data loads, scheduling data loads, etc.
Anyone else notice this as well (DSR630)?
post #323 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-09-10, 03:11 PM

I too find 'search' incredibly slow compared to the last guide.

Additionally, whether it's the new guide or the new software, the reboot time for a front-panel reset seems to take at least twice as long as it used to.

If I had a recording in progress and needed to reset, I lost about two minutes of the recording.

Now, I lose about four minutes while the guide data loads, scheduling data loads, etc.

Anyone else notice this as well (DSR630)?
post #324 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-09-17, 03:27 PM

Just to add one more complaint about the new guide. I carefully programmed three different sets of Favorites to support my viewing habits. Shaw then put out an annoucement of changes to TSN channels. The announcement and new TSN channels all ended up on my favorites. And as someone above pointed out deleting specific channels from a favorite list is annoying because you can't use the keypad to directly go to that channel.
And one more vote against duplicate channels.
post #325 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-09-17, 06:56 PM

Red face no data

Anyone else lost the data beyond tomorrow?

Or is it just me?

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
post #326 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-09-18, 09:45 AM

Seems to have remedied itself...

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
post #327 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-09-18, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouser View Post
Seems to have remedied itself...
It sounds like it just updated itself and brought in a new weeks worth of new listings.
post #328 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-09-18, 10:10 PM
DHC Supporter

Has anyone had problems with losing their preset timers for shows, one day they are there and the next you have to reset the timers for certain programs.
post #329 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-09-20, 09:15 PM
DHC Supporter

CSR said to leave it on overnight so it can get the Guide update, dont know why that would make a difference, it still is hooked up and plugged in.
post #330 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-09-23, 09:08 AM

Can someone confirm if the maximum number of timers is 128 for the 630?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in