HD On-Screen Guide - Page 21 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #301 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-20, 04:07 PM
Rookie

Thank you both.....I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't overlooking a setting.....

As you said, it does go away.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-21, 01:51 AM
Veteran

You can get rid of the welcome banner by selecting "single user" in the "Switch User" area.... Menu>>Switch User

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #303 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-21, 08:48 AM

post #304 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-25, 09:20 AM

Full-screen option would be great as long as that means more hours not just bigger font.
post #305 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-25, 10:33 AM

Well, it's been almost a month since the update. Everyone in my family, including myself, prefer the old guide. But there are a few things that could be improved (in my opinion).

1 - Info button - full screen info with 2nd press of info button returning to where you were.
2. 90mins doesn't bother me as much as others, but it should span the width of the TV for easier reading.
3 - colour contrast. Just seems harder to read than the old one.
4 - Should be an option to remove TV station logo - I use 6 line large, and that does remove it.

Basically to please most of the people, all they had to do was expand the on screen from 90min to 120 or 150min. What they focused on was more programs/rows per screen.

I do like the menu that pops up to allow you delete the program you have just watched.
View in mini guide seems like a nice feature.

But the biggest thing for me, is the poor implementation of the info button/screens. Other than maybe show and episode title, you do not need any program info in the main guide screen.
post #306 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-25, 02:09 PM

Shaw Direct overwhelmed?

Cant get through to website re new crappy guide
????
1) Always starts up in owner profile -changeable? (because wont allow edit channel favs???)
2) Nasty to change users all the time!

3)duplicate channels a nuisance!
post #307 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-25, 06:35 PM
DHC Supporter

I have complained about the duplicate channels before, never got a clear answer.
post #308 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-25, 10:36 PM

I never realized that Shaw Direct had a Facebook page but just found it and had a look see. Of the dozen or so entries I looked at from users they all were very much unhappy with the new guide. This goes along with my sentiments too. The loss of favorites and the new user system is a common complaint. The new color options for the guide in my opinion are a disaster. I will admit that my eyes are not as good as they used to be but I have great difficulty reading the guide in its present coloring in either of the two modes and especially the highlighted portions. Yes there are some improvements and I appreciate them but it is still very slow. I really hope that SD reviews the color scheme and bring back a decent favorites. Also get rid of all those dupiicate chanells
post #309 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-26, 08:25 PM

Found how to set default user when on screen to select user highlight chosen profile & go to perferences - There you will find set as default user
post #310 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-27, 12:36 PM

New guide = recordings trashed

Returned home from vacation and have the new guide on my 630. Great! Right? Ya except all recordings from a few days into my vacation are trashed. (So I can guess the exact date when my guide updated) Everything shows as recorded but you click it, the preview screen goes blank for about 10secs then returns to the PVR list. What a joke as usual and I am not surprised one bit. At least most of them are on VOD. Oh what a turd that is too. Why is it that Netflix and PS3 have zero problems streaming yet Shaw's amazing VOD craps out half the time. Another happy customer here great job again Shaw.
post #311 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-27, 02:27 PM

Slow searching

I see I am not alone on this one, I find it incredibly slow to do a 'Title Search' with the new guide.
They recommended that I just do an AC reset and pull the plug for a moment. I find that hard to believe that will speed up the searching.
How are you guys doing on this?
post #312 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-27, 03:52 PM

Im not blaming you- but perhaps if the s/w was downloaded prior to your departure, the recordings would be safe. Mine did need a manual reboot after the d/l but since (touch wood) has been solid.

As for the 'searching' again- no issues. I find it quick to load and have had no complaints.

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive

Last edited by Ouser; 2014-08-27 at 03:53 PM. Reason: addition
post #313 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-27, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robman50a View Post
... I find it incredibly slow to do a 'Title Search' with the new guide.
They recommended that I just do an AC reset and pull the plug for a moment.
The processor has not changed, but the amount of data it has to sort thru has changed. The search used to be only on the title, now it searches for key words in description, title, and everything in the guide.

I don't think that the Search is incredibly slow. I can wait since I know that the machine is doing some heavy lifting.

The recommendation to perform a hard reset is laughable; of course it doesn't hurt...
post #314 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-27, 06:56 PM

Would be nice to customize the search to tell it what to look at.
post #315 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-09-07, 11:00 AM

Has anyone notice that the smart recording is not very smart at all?

I have noticed when adding new recordings that the dvr does not set to record them because of conflicts that should not be there and to fix it I have to tweak with the priorities.
I would suggest folks to check their recordings to make sure if you have a N/A for a recording that indeed there is no episode to record.

It has happened to me before and today happened to me again.
I set up to record the show Dominion for all New episodes.
This show is on Showcase on wednesdays at 10Pm Est and again at 2am if I am not mistaken.

The dvr would not pick neither timeslots to record because at 10PM it would conflict with the AMERICAS GOT TALENT. (Because of the duplicate channel map it shows as its being recorded on the classic and new channel map).
But I dont think that is the reason as for wednesday the show records till 11:01.

So I decided to then tape all shows for DOMINION instead of just NEW because it was on again later but now as new and it would still not pick it up.

I had to change the priority to higher than AGT for it to actually record the two shows.
It then set to tape DOMINION at 10pm and AGT at 11Pm.

I had this same issue a couple weeks ago with other shows so there is a problem with the "intelligence" of the code.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in