HD On-Screen Guide - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 402 (permalink) Old 2013-06-03, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy209 View Post
I'm using Bell and CID only works 1 out of 20 calls.
That's weird. There's got to be more to it, because I am not lying when I say it works 100% of the time. I'd be here bitching like the rest of you if it didn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 402 (permalink) Old 2013-06-04, 08:13 AM

Thanks Snickerdoodles. I just checked those setting on my ATA using the Obitalk website and your right, they were already set properly. Going to post the Q in the voip.ms thread.
post #18 of 402 (permalink) Old 2013-07-06, 09:22 AM

Is their any news on the HD guide coming? I believe if it doesn't come before the new tv season in the fall,we won't see it come anytime soon. I don't think that they will take a chance of the new guide having glitches and people not being able to record their shows. I know chances of big problems are minimal, but don't big updates usually come in the off season of new fall tv shows?

post #19 of 402 (permalink) Old 2013-07-29, 01:20 PM

^^^ Bump! ???? HD guide?

Just saw Bell's new guide at a friends house, not sure how new it is, buts nicer than SD's.

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
post #20 of 402 (permalink) Old 2013-07-29, 01:25 PM

I saw the guide at a conference for Eastern Ontario with Shaw. Honestly, I have no idea when it will launch, but you shouldn't hold your breath for anything insane. It's a welcomed change, but it won't change your entire viewing experience - it's a guide, after all.

The one thing that you should be looking forward to is the 700 series line of receivers. From what I've been told, we'll be looking at whole-home PVR systems this coming fall. For anyone that doesn't care about whole-home PVR systems, wait out a bit and brace yourselves for some insane deals on 630s!
post #21 of 402 (permalink) Old 2013-07-29, 02:22 PM
Veteran

I don't mean to put a negative spin here, but I wouldn't count on Shaw Direct coming out with anything decent. They have never released a product with their own in-house software to date that works well. The 530 and 630s are proof of that and on the cable side, they have had a lot of issues with the gateway and the HD Guide for the DCX3510 and 3200 receivers.

Shaw needs to stop trying to create their own firmware and start purchasing firmware from a reputable vendor. Just my opinion.
post #22 of 402 (permalink) Old 2013-07-30, 08:56 AM
Veteran

Motorola does not make firmware, nobody except Shaw does for 5x/6xx receivers. The few other users of that series receivers use the Shaw firmware.

It might be different if Pace is going to be making the 700 series.

IMO, they should try and network existing receivers, but would understand if they want to have a chip that recodes MPEG2 to h.264 (for efficient networking at least, maybe even storage), and quad tuner.
post #23 of 402 (permalink) Old 2013-07-30, 09:25 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Motorola does not make firmware, nobody except Shaw does for 5x/6xx receivers.
That doesn't mean they can't hire a reputable vendor to develop the firmware.

I would imagine that the next generation of receivers will be Arris
post #24 of 402 (permalink) Old 2013-07-30, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
I would imagine that the next generation of receivers will be Arris
Since Google sold the Motorola home division to Arris, that is a pretty sure bet. Hopefully Arris will rework the Motorola designs for better performance and reliability. If they just tweek the existing designs that would be less than adequate.

SD & Arris appear to have a long way to go just to match the STB features of other providers.
post #25 of 402 (permalink) Old 2013-09-22, 07:42 PM
Rookie

Where's the New HD Guide...

Now that the HD Channels are in, VOD is working, etc. Where is the HD guide... It would be a nice to get it in the next few weeks wouldn't it?

Anybody have any news on the subject? Are they still working on it or have they dropped it....

Last edited by 57; 2013-09-22 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread.
post #26 of 402 (permalink) Old 2013-09-22, 08:23 PM
Veteran

It is being beta tested by SD employees right now. There were pictures posted in this forum for a few hours back at the beginning of the month but they have been removed. Maybe another month or two before it hits the public. Three or four. lol Looking at the pictures back then I wouldn't hold out much hope for anything special. It still appeared to only have an hour and a half of programming. The PVR list still looked the same as it does today.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #27 of 402 (permalink) Old 2013-09-24, 11:54 PM

if this is the same guide that shaw cable has using then you guys are better off without it
it still has tons of bugs and missing features
post #28 of 402 (permalink) Old 2013-10-11, 12:16 PM

Any news yet on a release of the new guide?
post #29 of 402 (permalink) Old 2013-10-12, 08:30 PM

Since it is all most the middle of October I have sent Shaw Direct an Facebook message asking when the HD guide is coming out and they said 'There's no official word as of yet.'
As for being behind, I see that Bell just launched a new guide for the ExpressVu system. My uncle said it was very buggy at first and it made the receiver freeze a lot but then it sorted itself out. Let's hope Shaw's new guide won't make the DSR 6xxx units act up once they launch the guide but I'm sure a patch will launch if there is issues.
post #30 of 402 (permalink) Old 2013-10-12, 10:37 PM
Veteran

Shaw has been very slow to release "bug fixes". In all honesty, their current guide is ugly but it does work. I wouldn't want them updating until they are sure that it has no major issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in