HD On-Screen Guide - Page 17 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #241 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-04, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSM View Post
If you try to backup to a USB key from other than the Owner user, it will not work and there will be no error messages. It seems you must do Backup and Restore from the Primary User (default is Owner, although you can change the name). This is documented in the receiver help text, but trust me, it's easy to miss.

I produced a backup on a 605, I'm now going to copy it to a 630 to move the definitions.
Yes it will you just have to press the enter button (OK) a few times to get it to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-04, 05:06 PM

I set two favorites for the guide. One I called "Favorites "and the other "Best Channels". Now if I am in either of those two setting it will not allow me to record from the guide.(nothing happens when I hit "Record". I have to go to the "Owner" setting, find the channel in the guide and then hit record. Am I doing something wrong or have I got setting wrong? Also when i am in my favorites I cannot change to a channel that is not in that favorite list. Is this normal?
Thanks for any input
post #243 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-04, 07:32 PM

Lester I posed this question below to SD. I will post an answer if/when I get one from SD.

Got the new guide. Set up two users, lets call them User A & User B. I have a problem changing between users. Example: I set up a different favourites list for each user. If I have channel 1 set up in User A & I'm watching channel 1 & want to change to user B I cannot. I have to have channel 1 set up in user B too, or else I'm locked out of user B. What gives?

post #244 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-04, 09:25 PM

I think I found the answer to the problem of recording in the various favorites. I went into the settings in "permissions" and set them to "owner". Now I can record in all of the favorites. Still no solution to changing to channels which are not in the particular favorite you are using though. It is a total inconvenience to have to go through the motions of changing to a different guide every time one wishes to see a program not in the particular guide you are using. This new guide is a convoluted affair and many people are going to have great problems with it. I play around a lot with computers and often help people with their computer problems and I had difficult in some aspects of this guide.
post #245 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-05, 12:02 AM

I had the same problem as Paul C above- my solution is to press GUIDE again - now I get the guide for the new user and can scroll to pick a channel.

John
post #246 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-05, 11:37 PM

New Guide opinion

The couple of issues that bother me, is the fact that they moved the mini picture and info in a vertical mode, thus cutting the guide to half a screen, this makes absolute no sense.... should have left it like before with mini picture and info along top and guide along bottom..
perhaps they could squeeze at least another 1-1/2 hour of viewing to give us at least 3 hours preview at a time which is very possible if guide is right across whole page.. i think that with this setup, you would get 4-5 channels shown at a time, and say if you hit quide a second time, you would lose the mini picture and info screen to view more channels (8-9), hitting quide could toggle between the two views,,,

Also hate the lack of or very minimal info they have for shows, even compared to shaw cable... and I hate the fact you have to keep hitting info 2 or 3 times to flip through the info screens, and often with part of the first page of text carried over to page 2??... I think they could have the mini picture in top left, the part info they show to the right, as they do now... and then why not have the whole screen open up when you hit info... displaying everything on the screen at once time...even if you lose the picture during this screen... then you could hit info again to exit back to guide.....

not a big deal, but I also think they should have the radio/movie channels listing totally separate on it's own guide,,,,,

there is more good/bad, but overall i do like the look and the addition of the logos make the whole guide look so much more professional....

ps.. the search function and the search for VOD is horrible slow, terrible.....
post #247 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-06, 12:43 AM

Well the guide looks "prettier" But it has lost some functionality, such as:

The actual guide grid is way too small
The duplicated channels in the favourites lists clutter the fav list up with useless info.
Moving from one user to another is a pain.

The duplicated channels & changing users are software bugs, & don't let SD tell you otherwise. You would have thought these bugs would have been picked up in the Beta stage. But hey, it looks pretty! & that's what counts.
post #248 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-06, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball View Post
I had the same problem as Paul C above- my solution is to press GUIDE again - now I get the guide for the new user and can scroll to pick a channel.

John
Thanks, works for me too! Just kinda clunky, not like the old guide which would change favs seamlessly.
post #249 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-06, 08:11 AM

I really wish that the NEW icon was Red and on the guide like the old guide
post #250 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-06, 12:33 PM

RE: Lester
I sorta had the same problem. I created a new user with "owner" rights. I pressed the red record button (for a channel I was viewing, not via the guide) on the remote and nothing happened. I remembered your post and changed the guide to original owner. I then noticed the red record light being lit on the 630.

It may have been that it took waayyy to long to actually start recording, but actually worked from the second user with owner rights. I dunno ???
post #251 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-06, 12:39 PM

Grayed-Out Channels not gone from guide

I removed a lot of channels from my second "user" with owner rights,

The problem is that they continue to appear in the guide just grayed-out.
I still have to flip thru lot screens with non-favorite channels.

On the old guide, the channels I removed were actually removed from the guide.
post #252 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-06, 01:00 PM

The old guide was ugly, but functional. The new guide is less ugly (but ascetically poor) and less functional. Sad, Shaw had an opportunity to shine on this.

Last edited by 57; 2014-08-06 at 02:55 PM. Reason: OT parts
post #253 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-07, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljoball View Post
Setting a timer has a new feature to select a program title on ALL channels, as well as 'just' one channel. Finding it is a but clunky as you have to create the timer then go back and edit it to ALL channels.
Sorry John what does that mean?? If you tell the rcvr to go to a show on all channels wont it keep repeating the same pgm over and over in different time zones???
post #254 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-07, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDRiley View Post
AND WHY, AFTER ALL THIS TIME, can we not get EPISODE INFORMATION? This is pure laziness. It's like Sirius/XM: Yes, I know it's The Diane Rehm Show, but why don't they display who they are interviewing? The info is available.
Mike is that a talk show? Sometimes they don't have info for talk shows soon enough to get it into the guide. We have the new guide now and it has ep info for regular TV shows.
post #255 of 402 (permalink) Old 2014-08-07, 09:11 AM

Shaw passes along the episode information they receive from their supplier (Tribune??). I don't think they edit the information; SD's software merely inserts it into the guide.
SD's supplier is dependent on what information from the producers of the show decide provide.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in