Tuner 1 signal - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-06-08, 01:01 AM
Veteran

New lnb is the next step. Should be done, no question. Was it really changed? Was it really new?
Used to have IBM techs play games with returned parts, etc. etc. years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-06-08, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphy670 View Post
I think I may be switching providers as nobody can figure this out.
I suspect at Shaw Direct would like you to let them have a crack at it before you call them to cancel because no one on the forum could figure it out for you!

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-06-08, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

This is the second xku in a year that was replaced. I did call shaw both times and go through the same troubleshooting steps. They placed the service calls. I am just not destined to have 2 pvr,s I guess.

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-06-08, 10:36 AM

have you tried a different multiswitch?
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-06-08, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

I don't have a multi switch. Just 4 lines off the dish. 2 to each PVR.
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-06-08, 11:21 AM

that's a weird one.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-06-08, 12:53 PM

Your troubleshooting in Post #1 was clearest. The connector on Cable 1 (before you changed cable connections) at the dish is most likely causing the problem. The fact that you can get good signal into both tuners sometimes indicates the LNB is probably OK, unless it has a damaged connector inside giving an intermittent connection at times (highly unlikely). Far more likely is the connector at the dish end should simply be cut off, thrown away, and a new connector installed. That's the fastest, most reliable way to solve the problem.

OTA: Sony digital TV, Clearstream [email protected]' high, CM-7777 30 dB preamp; FTA: New 1.2-metre Ku-band dish.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-06-08, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

I changed the connector at the dish last night. I will try changing the cables around at the dish today and if the problem goes back to tuner 1 then I am sure it is another bad LNB.
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-06-08, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Well today I tried another connector at the dish. Got 93 for a couple ours then right to 0 again. Spent 2 hours trying to speak with tech support. Never did get through and they no longer have a call back feature. I'm starting to loose faith in this service. I have been with star choice (shaw) for over 18 years. Not sure what to do now.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-06-09, 02:34 PM

Hi. I do Bell and Shaw installs. Been doing it for 11 years.

I read this thread with interest, because I had a similar issue with a Bell dual-tuner receiver at a customer's home.

I was at the guy's house three times, and I coudn't figure it out.

Tried new cable ends, new LNB , same intermittent problem.

Then, I thought about the receiver itself.

So I went home, got my Bell single-tuner HD receiver and hooked it up at the customer's home. I told him to use it for a couple of days, while I took his home.

My receiver ran flawlessly on his dish & cables.

His receiver continued to have the same intermittent signal problem at my house.

Conclusion - bad tuner in the receiver.

The cause of Ralphy670's problems is, IMO, a bad tuner in one receiver. It is causing electrical issues within the coax cables, causing the LNB to get messed up, which in turn is affecting his second receiver too.

Take one receiver offline for a day or two, and monitor the behaviour of the 2nd receiver.

If Receiver #2 is working flawlessly, then Receiver #1 requires replacement (or vice-versa).

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your progress.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-06-09, 03:30 PM

Excellent reply. Ir proves that troubleshooting can be tough. And this proves why, when an installer goes to a house a second time for the same problem, they should probably replace everything involved. No customer should need to go through what ralphy670 is describing.

OTA: Sony digital TV, Clearstream [email protected]' high, CM-7777 30 dB preamp; FTA: New 1.2-metre Ku-band dish.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-06-09, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

So today I went on the roof and switched the 2 cables around. The problem went from tuner 2 to tuner 1. Tuner 2 now is at 0. I decided to see if I could get any kind of signal by playing with the port. When I apply pressure on one side of the port the signal jumped to 98. As soon as I let go it went back to 0. Seems like a weak solder inside the LNB. I can make this happen every time by applying pressure.

I too thought the receiver may be having the issue but I am leaning more towards the LNB now. I have a service call in with shaw but have to wait until the 26 th. I will keep posted.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-06-09, 11:20 PM

17 days is a LONG time away.

Try this, have someone watch the 2nd receiver.

Jiggle the faulty LNB connector and see if this is affecting BOTH receivers simultaneously.

If it is, don't rule out a faulty cable.

IMHO, it can't be the LNB because you just had it replaced after experiencing the same Tuner 1 signal problem.

As part of the service call, I would request that the entire length of the cable giving you problems, be replaced too.

I'm confident it is either a Receiver problem or a cable problem.

Don't give up on Shaw because you are having a technical issue.

The cause will eventually be found, and you'll have years of trouble-free service.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-06-10, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

I agree it's a long time away. I took my basement receiver and moved it upstairs and moved the upstairs receiver downstairs. The basement receiver was working excellent with no issues at all previous to me moving it upstairs. Now that I have moved it to the main floor it is having the exact same issue and the receiver from the main floor which is now in the basement is working flawlessly. I don't believe it is a bad tuner unless both my receivers are screwed.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 2013-06-10, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Well it has been 4 hours or so now since I swapped receivers. The problem is still on the main floor receiver and the basement is now working perfect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in