Is SD allowed to replace shows?? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-16, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Is SD allowed to replace shows??

And I don't mean sim-subbing. I've noticed that NBC Detroit airs The Ricki Lake Show at 10am and SD will replace the show with an infomercial like Montel Williams ad for his blender and when ABC Detroit is airing Right this Minute at 12:30pm SD will replace the show with an infomercial. WHY? Rogers Cable customers get the actual shows on these channels but SD customers get an infomercial. This goes on every day even though the IPG says we are supposed to get Ricki Lake and Right this Minute. I don't think its the channels that are doing this substituting. I believe it's SD. These infomercials usually have Canadian web addresses.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-16, 08:27 PM

Bell TV often replaces the local news on WCVB (ABC Boston) with a 30 minute infomercial.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-17, 02:03 PM
Veteran

Has it always been this way? Is it possible that it's due to a publication ban on something?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-17, 02:50 PM
Veteran

Original question......is it allowed?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-17, 09:56 PM
Veteran

No. It's not allowed. Canadian BDUs are not allowed to air commercial advertising. Except where stipulated by simsub and blackout rules, they are required to broadcast the original programming. In a few cases, they can fill BDU designated advertising slots with ads for their own products. It's possible that the station itself made a programming change, a simsub was applied incorrectly or that a Canadian station incorrectly requested a simsub. Note that BDUs may monitor simsubs and to make corrections when they are incorrect or the Canadian station has technical issues. From what I have seen, SD does not do this and available staff are often not qualified to correct simsub errors. First, make sure that the issue is with SD and not the originating station. Many Rogers areas do not get Detroit network stations, they get Buffalo instead. If this is a regular occurrence that can be traced directly to SD, file a complaint with the CRTC.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-17, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I'm referring to Rogers Cable in Ottawa which gets its US stations from Detroit. These are not 1 minute or 2 minute ads but in the case of the Ricki Lake Show it is replaced by a full one hour infomercial for Montel Williams blender. It aired again today and as I've said before it airs every day in place of Ricki Lake. The IPG will indicate that a NEW edition of Ricki Lake is supposed to air but when you go to watch it, it ends up being Montel Williams selling his blender again.

I do realize that Global stations which are owned by Shaw air Ricki Lake in the afternoon but I'm under the impression that sim-subs can only occur if Global is showing Ricki Lake at the SAME time as Detroit. But they are not. So I ask if Shaw can replace NBC Detroit's feed with something else?

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-18, 10:36 AM
Veteran

I definitely sounds as if a simsub is being incorrectly applied. SD is required to correct this in a timely manner. Ask Jim was a good way to resolve such issues. I don't know if this is still available. By timely, I mean no more than a day after being notified. If they don't correct it, file a complaint through the CRTC's online process.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-18, 11:20 AM

This is an ILLEGAL SIMSUB by Shaw Direct to your postal code. File a complaint on the CRTC website.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-18, 01:59 PM
Veteran

Uh, I understood that a station can ask a BDU for a sim-sub if they are airing the same program within a two or maybe three hour time frame before or after its showing on the other channel? I can remember some weird but apparently legal instances of this on CityTV many years ago. For various logistical and other reasons including PR issues it is a rare occurrence but it can happen. (Am I wrong?)
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-18, 02:57 PM
Veteran

Yes, stations can request a non-simultaneous simsub. In practice, this is rarely done. However, the show in question must be replaced by the same show (at least 95% identical), not another program. Using an infomercial is a clear violation of CRTC regulations.

Where a copyright conflict exists, stations may request a blackout but that doesn't allow substitution by infomercials either. The originating broadcaster may supply replacement programming under these circumstances. It's possible that the Detroit station supplies the feed and substituted an infomercial in response to a blackout request by a local broadcaster. Blackouts typically apply to non-OTA stations and rarely apply to OTA stations unless it is to protect local OTA broadcasting rights. I doubt it would be requested by an Ottawa station unless it is an independently owned network affiliate or non-affiliated broadcaster.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-18, 03:57 PM
Veteran

OK so its not a simsub thing at all. Could it be because of something in the Riki Lake contract held by either the American or Canadian station?
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-18, 04:14 PM
Veteran

I'm just saying that, under some circumstances, it's possible the station is doing the program substitution. However, I would think that Rogers would have the same substitution. This case requires more investigation before the exact cause can be determined. Like the OP, I would be looking at SD's role in this first. It's basically up to them to provide the correct signal.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-20, 10:17 AM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
I have noticed that they are sometimes tardy is switching from a sportscast back to the local feed, sometimes delaying it by half an hour or more. I have even seen them switch back to Detroit and then reverse it after about the length of a commercial break. I figured it was a failure of their simsub technology rather than any overt plan.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-23, 01:30 PM

Last night during the Fox broadcast of the MasterChef premiere, every few minutes a crawl across the bottom displayed weather/storm warnings. When this happened, the picture went almost SD. Does this mean a Canadian feed was being overlayed by a U.S. feed? After the crawl, the HD picture resumed.

... Mike
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-23, 01:49 PM

Saw the same thing on shaw cable...
I think it is a more of a function that the local Rochester station does not have the ability to overlay weather warnings onto their HD broadcast, but only their widescreen SD. So they do a temporary flip off the signal for storm warnings.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in