Is SD allowed to replace shows?? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-23, 12:52 PM
Veteran

Exactly. Stations lacking equipment that can overlay warnings on an HD signal must switch to an SD signal to do so. They are probably still using SD studio equipment for internal production.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-25, 04:42 PM

Gary hearts Ricki Lake
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-25, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Well she is cuter than Montel.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-26, 07:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
They are probably still using SD studio equipment for internal production.
Shortly after Canada (mostly) switched off analog, I'd be watching the news on a couple of Toronto stations. On some remote shots the resolution was so bad, I'd swear they were zooming a signal from a SD camera. It was comparable to what you get when you zoom a letter box on SD image. I haven't seen that for quite a while though. I guess it took them a while to get everything up to HD. Perhaps some stations are slow to switch fully to HD for budget reasons.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-26, 09:38 PM
Veteran

@jamesk: Indeed some stations are slow to convert their studios to HD. CTV in Halifax still is SD for the news. Only the network programming is in HD. I'd bet that is still more common than than those of you living near a major centre such as Toronto realize. It makes talk of stations going to 4K HD a bit academic at the moment in my part of Canada.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-27, 09:26 AM

I would guess that the switching equipment they use at local stations would have to be completely replaced, and that consists of their entire "control board". It handles camera switching, specifal effects, audio, everything required to broadcast a show. And first they would invest in HD cameras; otherwise, the switcher would be a waste of money. I can't imagine the cost... 40 years ago, a cheap studio colour camera cost $50,000.

... Mike
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-27, 10:16 AM
Veteran

The entire studio essentially needs to be replaced. That's cameras, cabling, switching and video processing equipment. Since they might look grungy in HD, might as well replace the sets as well. Even staff wardrobe and makeup become a bigger issue, and more expensive, in HD. For a local station, it can easily double the cost of the HD transition.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-05-27, 10:22 AM
Veteran

Slightly OT but one thing I've noticed about HD sets is that they emphasize size and depth. Not sure why but almost every HD set looks huge compared to the old SD set. Check out the sets on HNIC and TSN and CFTO/CTV News for example. Camera angles also are also much lower which again makes the dep[th of the set more pronounced.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-06-02, 05:46 PM

I never see CBS 62 local Detroit news on Shaw Direct, ever, but ABC's and NBC's affiliates from Detroit do get their news shown (I'm not sure how much local news FOX produces, but I don't see much of it in the guide either).
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-06-02, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

CBS 62 doesn't do local news. They just carry CBS News at 6:30. Fox Detroit carries quite a bit of news though.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 2013-06-02, 10:22 PM

Oh wow, I guess after doing some researching, I've learned that indeed they don't! I had seen local inserts for "First Forecast" and weather updates during national CBS programming, and there is the public affairs show Michigan Matters produced by WWJ-TV, but even "First Forecast" is gone now. Hard to believe that a major network affiliate in one of the US' largest city doesn't produce a newscast!!!

I did see the FOX local news shown in the guide a bit more when looking through it again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in