Shaw Direct Channel Moves - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 2013-05-19, 10:48 AM
Veteran

How about new lineup - Advanced and Advanced Plus. The latter only for 6xx series receivers connected to an X-Ku dish.

Advanced will be dropped for it. Classic will be kept with only important additions. Maybe, just maybe add new channels to Classic at 1000, if possible, to capable receivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 2013-05-20, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

The Chronicle Herald has a new TV Guide, and claim that they cover Shaw Direct (they don't really, but that is a topic for another thread). The only Shaw numbers that they supply are the Advanced (Standard Definition) Lineup. That got me thinking that Shaw Direct actually has 4 sets of channel numbers. A channel like NBC (Detroit) actually has 4 sets of numbers. You know where I'm going here don't you...NBC standard advanced lineup, NBC high-def advanced lineup, NBC standard classic lineup, and NBC high-def classic lineup. This would be true for every channel that has a high definition equivalent.

The thought of us actually having 4 sets of channel numbers for each channel makes the classic and advanced system seem even more asinine. Just give us Standard and High Definition channel numbers, start fresh if you must, but do away with this 4 sets of numbers fiasco.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 2013-05-21, 01:36 AM

I don't think it's that hard to figure out in the 3 digit line-up 200s are HD 300s are networks,400s sports, 500s specialty and 600s movies you're looking for CTD SD you go to 300 and search the guide.....what's so difficult here?

post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 2013-05-21, 03:51 AM

Then there are the channels that they choose to put on two different channel numbers for whatever reason. Off the top of my head here, Peachtree, TLN, EA2 and a couple more. This was on the classic lineup, not certain about the advanced lineup.

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 2013-05-21, 10:02 AM

Not sure why those channels you mentioned need 2 spots, it just takes up room for a new channel and it isn't because of time-shift both are the same
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 2013-05-21, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawguyg View Post
I don't think it's that hard to figure out in the 3 digit line-up 200s are HD 300s are networks,400s sports, 500s specialty and 600s movies you're looking for CTD SD you go to 300 and search the guide.....what's so difficult here?
Yes, it does sound simple, so why did Shaw change it??? What you are describing is what you and I have, the Classic Channel lineup. But my neighbours across the street have the Advanced lineup. For example, Global BC is channel 5, CBS Detroit is channel 77 and 327 HD, SportsNet West is channel 120 and 315 HD, TMN is channel 232 and 346 HD. Peachtree is 220 on the Advanced lineup..

I agree that the classic lineup is simple but Shaw thought that new customers would find it too complicated ( :-) )and so tried to make the advanced lineup seem more like a cable one.

We do not need both systems..I'm sure that we will be able to handle any channel lineup that Shaw comes up with...just give us one or the other!
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 2013-05-21, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawguyg View Post
Not sure why those channels you mentioned need 2 spots, it just takes up room for a new channel and it isn't because of time-shift both are the same
Well it doesn't use up any of the valuable bandwidth, only a channel number. The channel is still just on a single transponder position. But, I don't know what the logic is to having a channel appear on two different channel numbers. Maybe to group a channel with other similar channels when the channel is available in two different theme packs but the channel lineup is such a mess already what difference does it make!

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 2013-05-21, 12:33 PM
Veteran

Telelatino is on two channels because it use to be a stand alone ethnic service but is now included in the essentials package. When the channel moved to the essentials package, they mirrored the channel with the other essential channels. They did the same thing with Encore Avenue 2, it use to be a premium channel then later moved to essentials.

Peachtree has always had two positions. I believe the channel is only available in the Prime Time package and has always been that way.
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 2013-05-21, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaMan View Post
Peachtree is 220 on the Advanced lineup..
It's 270 and 161 on the Advanced lineup. There is no 220.
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 2013-05-21, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae_collector View Post
Well it doesn't use up any of the valuable bandwidth, only a channel number. The channel is still just on a single transponder position. But, I don't know what the logic is to having a channel appear on two different channel numbers. Maybe to group a channel with other similar channels when the channel is available in two different theme packs but the channel lineup is such a mess already what difference does it make!
I suspect the bolded part is right.

The way DirecTV handles HD - show SD and HD versions right next to each other with the "same" channel number and an option to hide SD duplicates - is far and away the best way to handle things, but I have no idea if the software on the 6XX boxes can do it.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 2013-05-22, 02:53 AM

To me the advance line-up is completely screwy, Ok I get it's like an old cable box until you run into 3 digits and then that's over. and if you had a really old tv it's done after channel 13
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 2013-05-22, 09:23 PM

There's nothing more screwy about the advanced lineup as their is the classic lineup. The advanced lineup is exactly like cable as even digital cable starts at 2 (or 1 if you include the barker channel) and goes up from there into three and (in Cogecoland at least) four digit numbers, which is probably what they were going for.

Last edited by 57; 2013-05-23 at 12:35 AM. Reason: UQR
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 2013-05-25, 11:21 AM
Veteran

Does anyone know if the French PPVs are still in the 790s or did they go to the 900s as well?

Also wanted to confirm the locations of the following French Channels

TFO
Teletoon Retro

I believe TFO moved to 732 and Teletoon Retro remained on 769 however some online sources show these channels reversed.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 2013-05-25, 03:17 PM
Veteran

Yes the french PPV channels are on 790, 791 and 792. Retro is on 769 and TFO is on 799. There is nothing on 732.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 2013-05-25, 04:42 PM
Veteran

Thanks for the updates. I'm guessing TFO is probably going to move to 732 at some point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in