Old Starchoice dish on apt balcony: HD Options? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-05-09, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Old Starchoice dish on apt balcony: HD Options?

Hi, I'm renting an apartment which has an old Starchoice dish (round) on the balcony. It was installed by a previous tenant. Can I buy a new Shaw Direct receiver like a HDDSR 600 ($49) and connect it to the old SC dish?

Currently, I am on a 5+ year old Motorola HD receiver that has been problematic lately. I could replace it with a new Shaw HD receiver (not Direct) DCX3200...$129 from The Brick.

PVR would be nice, but I'm too cheap to pay the difference.

I've never operated any of these small dish before (used the large 8 footers with Direct TV in the early 90's).

Thanks.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-05-09, 11:10 PM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
The old round dishes can only hit one satellite.

For HD, the most likely answer to your question is - no. For a new ShawDirect subscription I doubt they would even set up an account for you on a 600 with that dish.

For Standard Definition, you might be able to find an old 200 or 300 series SD box for sale used, and ShawDirect might fire it up for you.

There is a snowballs hope that you could get PBS HD channels on that dish with the right FTA receiver, if you live far enough south, and with the right view of the sky. But that's all you'd get.

If you have sufficient arc of the sky, and wanted to spend ~ 250.00 for a motor and FTA receiver, and like to mess with technology, head over to the FTA forum and do some reading there.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-05-09, 11:34 PM

Call Shaw and tell them your situation. They may come and hook up a new E Dish with the new LNB. It may cost you nothing for the upgrade, if you have the receiver to go with it.

Winegard PR8800, YA1713, Zenith7777 Preamp, 42" Aquos 120hz, Samsung UP5000 Blu Ray/HDDVD, C/Ku Band, Directv H21, 22.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-05-09, 11:37 PM
Veteran

Shaw will replace the dish at no charge and provide a new HD receiver at next to no cost after credits. Existing customers are getting deals that are very close to those of new customers. The 630 PVR will involve some cash outlay but it's worth it for the recording and time shifting capabilities.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-05-09, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies.....a new dish is out of the question unfortunately. I have listened to my landlord grumble about the existing number of dishes that previous tenants (some still are in use) have installed over the years.

I think that I will just go with a new Shaw Cable HD box. 5+ years on the old HD one isn't too shabby.

Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-05-10, 09:34 AM

You already have a dish - it's not like you are adding a new one, you are replacing it. If your landlord questions it, tell him that the old dish stopped working and you are just replacing it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2013-05-12, 04:55 PM
Veteran

Or get a used 3400 for cable. Around $150 and I've had good luck with them. Just do the homework.
I may have 2 coming up. Since gateway/portal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in