Signal jumping all over - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2013-04-21, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Signal jumping all over

Hi there,

The installer came and put a new dish on the house with the newer LNB and replaced the old LNB on my RV dish with the newer LNB.

Now I can only get a signal that jumps around at best. It jumps from 0 to 95 or anywhere in between sporadically. I've got it on channel 299. When a plane flies overhead the signal vibrates all the way up and when the plane is going away and then gone the signal winds back down to 0 and still sporadically spikes back up.

What could be wrong with it? I tried putting the old LNB back in and that wouldn't work. I guess the chip in the receivers were upgraded and are not able to be backward compatible.

If someone could give me advice please as I'm headed out camping Tuesday.

Thanks,

Gordon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2013-04-21, 10:42 PM

There's a number of possibilities;

Try checking signal strength using Ch. 252 and Channel 700.

Ch.252 is used for the new TRIPLE XKu LNB.

At the house, did the Installer use new cable or existing cable from an old satellite installation? If they used existing cable, make sure there are no splitters or switches installed inside.

There should be a single cable straight thru to the receiver.

Was it a Shaw Installer or a private installer? If it was Shaw, he/she should've confirmed good signal before he left.

If it was a private installer, they may have misaligned your dish.

Are you sharing an account with someone? If you are, the Primary Account holder may still have the older DUAL SAT LNB's on their dish. That means that ALL the receivers on the account, including yours, will be programmed for the older LNB.

Did you try the receiver in the RV? Same result or does it work?

Is your receiver a Dual-Tuner (two input) receiver? If yes, are there TWO input cables? If not, make sure a splitter is not being used.
Dual-Tuners MUST HAVE two input cables.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2013-04-21, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok, will try the channel 252 as you are right that I have the Triple Satellite Quad XKU LNB.

On the house ShawDirect's subcontractor installed the 3 receivers with new lines, total 4 with 1 receiver being HDPVR 630 which gets 2 lines.

Yes, a single RG-6 cable from satellite to my RV receiver.

While the installer put a new dish with the new LNB on the house and all works fine on the house, he put the new LNB in my older dish. So, I took the DSR 600 and put it on in my garage to test as I did the old setup with the old LNBs a month ago when I got all this used equipment. Got the old one lined up quick and working. Just the new one not quite. So, once it's tested and running properly in my garage with the satellite on a tripod in the driveway I'll be all set for camping.

Thanks,

Gordon

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2013-04-22, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I did the 252 channel, called ShawDirect support and the tech said aim the dish's elevation up to 10 degrees higher. Caught the good signal! All's working great now, ready for camping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in