Signal with one reciever but not another - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-04-20, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Signal with one reciever but not another

Hello,

I'm really not sure where to begin with this issue. I just moved into a house which has Shaw Direct Satellite. I had Shaw Direct at my last house. Easy, right? Figured I could simply plug in my receiver to the line and everything would work. But, it doesn't. The signal is at 15 (which I think it will go to no matter what). The receiver is DSR505 and it worked perfectly about a week ago at my last place.

The funny part is that I don't think the dish it out of line. I had the guy that was moving out's receiver here while originally testing, and it got full signal. His receiver was a HDDSR600. Worked perfectly. Mine, signal of 15. I've tested them within minutes of each other.

I'm curious what the potential issues here could be. Is there something obvious I'm missing? The dish he had installed is the exact same as my old one. Does the eye differ? Is there a different satellite used for the older receiver? I've called Shaw and they seemed very puzzled. Said it didn't make sense. (Duh, that's why I'm calling you). My call got dropped before they came to a conclusion. I figured I'd make a post here to see if anyone had any ideas!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-04-20, 05:53 PM
Rookie

can you type options, 6,4,7 and report the network data status (or map status) ***-4***
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-04-20, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

wow. it just randomly started working! No idea why.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-04-21, 10:04 AM
Veteran

It could be your receiver has been unplugged for some time, and not had security updates. Left plugged in, it eventually got them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-04-21, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Actually, seemed to be a signal issue after all. Just noticed this morning that some channels have 12 signal (don't come in) and others have 90+. Seems odd to have that much discrepancy.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-04-21, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Any known issues that would cause this discrepancy in signal?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-04-21, 10:34 PM

@ thinkpad

VERY IMPORTANT - you need to find out which LNB you had at the old place, and see what you have at the new place.

It sounds to me that one location has the older DUAL SATELLITE QUAD LNB, and the other location has the newer TRIPLE SATELLITE QUAD LNB.

Your receiver is currently programmed for the LNB at the old location.

If I'm correct, and the new location has the other LNB, you will have to call Shaw and ask them to reprogram your receiver for the LNB being used at your new place.

Also, FYI, when your receiver is connected to a dish/LNB, you will always get a signal of 15 - 20 to start with, which confirms the receiver is connected to the LNB with a good length of cable.

When you disconnect the Satellite Cable from the back of your receiver, the signal will drop to 0 - 5
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-04-22, 02:39 PM
Veteran

It sounds like an LNB issue to me as well. Either defective or incompatible. Shaw should be able to fix any incompatibility by sending a signal to the receiver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in