Change over to new LNB - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-04-05, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Change over to new LNB

I thought that this was a simple task,take old one off, put new one on...there is a little more to it. In coversation with tech support today I find you need to call so that you can have "channel mapping" done to the receivers.There was no instructions with the LNB (there should be). I guess in a place where you can have an installer do it for you they would know all about the "mapping thing". Where I live it's do it yourself or pay $$$ pr klm both ways to have a service call. Thoughts?

I changed back to the old one when one receiver had no signal...bad weather has come in so next nice day change over will be done...and call for "channel mapping"

Last edited by sawguyg; 2013-04-05 at 05:08 PM. Reason: spelling error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-04-05, 08:39 PM

FYI

Why are you installing the new Triple xKu LNB?

It is not necessary unless you will ordering new channels that are offered on the new satellite, which will not be operational until approx. June.

Both LNB's (the old Dual and the new Triple) look very similar, but are completely different.

If you are going to use the new LNB, follow these instructions;

Install the old Dual Quad LNB. Put your receiver on Ch.299, go to the signal strength meter on your receiver, and confirm you have signal of at least 80.

Now, remove the Dual Quad LNB, install the Triple XKu LNB, and then call Shaw and tell them you have installed a Triple Quad XKu LNB.

They will send the correct V-code to your receiver, which will allow it to use this new LNB.

Who is the Primary Account holder (the person who pays the bill)?

I ask this because, if you are the Account holder and change the LNB to the new one, anyone else using a receiver on your account at a different location, will also need to install a Triple XKu LNB.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-04-06, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

I had issues with losing some of my HD channels, not really total pixalateing but bad dropout. Tweaked the dish,installed new cables,bypassed the ground block etc etc nothing was working SO why not try the new LNB. I don't have anyone else on my account but my household and I will be getting the new channels when available but this was trying to fix an issue.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-04-06, 09:28 AM

"I ask this because, if you are the Account holder and change the LNB to the new one, anyone else using a receiver on your account at a different location, will also need to install a Triple XKu LNB."

Not strictly true... I had my home switched out before my HAFH, and all we had to do was tell SD the UA numbers of the receivers at home to target those directly. Then when the HAFH was serviced they targeted those receivers.

Just FYI

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-04-06, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

I have 2 receivers but they are in the same house both are hooked to the same LNB (duel now,triple later) My original point was I just thought there should have been a simple instuction paper in the with the LNB,once you put it on the dish you need to call! I was frustrated with all the changes I had done to fix the pixalation issue and none of them working. (As I have said before, an installer is not available in our comunity) Ouser what is HAFH?
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-04-06, 11:43 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-04-06, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks 57 I guess that's for folks that have a summer house/cottage at the lake...my summer house is also my winter house.. and my cottage at the lake would be a tent (but I hate camping....audible gasp) lol

Last edited by sawguyg; 2013-04-06 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelling
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-04-06, 03:07 PM

I would like to see someone on this forum, maybe 46FD04, produce a YouTube video on replacing your old Shaw Direct LNB to the new Triple Quad XKu LNB. It would be very helpful.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-04-06, 03:57 PM

Honestly, it couldn't be simpler to do - no video needed.

You remove the 1 screw holding it in place.
Remove the lines from the old LNB & discard it.
Replace the lines with the new LNB.
Screw it back into place with the 1 original screw.
Call SD and tell them you have replaced your old LNB with the new xKu.

I've done 3 of these with no problems...I'd be surprised if it took you more than 5 minutes (excluding calling SD).

Hope that helps, PM me if I didn't explain myself well enough.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-04-06, 04:14 PM

Sounds easy. I won't be changing it until Spring, but it does sound simple. Thanks.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-04-06, 06:13 PM

Can someone please confirm if it is possible to have two dishes with one having the new triple Lnb and the other the 'old' LNB or not?

I have two dishes because I have two DVRs and and an old 405 and at the time it was cheaper for me to buy an used dish than a new LNB with more outputs.

This also leads me to my second question, my second dish looks like this:

Can it take the new lnb as well or not?
If it does what kind of dish is this? 65E, 75E, other?
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-04-06, 06:44 PM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
The answer to your first question is - maybe. Do you watch any high definition television?
Most likely the answer is - no.

To answer your last questions, the dish in the picture looks like an older 24 or 32 inch dish with stacked LNB. That LNB in combination with the other dish (which am assuming is running to your 405) may have saved you some money in installation charges once upon a time because you could avoid running some additional wire.

You don't really have to change your LNB to the new triple unit unless something is driving you to make a change to your programming or your receivers.

The new triple LNBs are designed to work with the corresponding 60 or 75 cm elliptical dishes.

Some questions which have bearing on a change for you are,

Do you still want to run 3 or more receivers, with two of them being DVRs?
Do you want to add more receivers?
Are you planning to move or need to have TV at a recreational location?
Are there any channels you want to subscribe to right now where ShawDirect has said you will have to upgrade your receiver?
Are the existing DVRs 530s?

You may want to call up ShawDirect and tell them you are thinking of going to Bell, then negotiate for upgrades on the receivers and a new clean install of a single dish. A switch may also be necessary depending on the number and type of receivers you want to use in future.

Last edited by envirogeek; 2013-04-06 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Clarification re: switch
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-04-06, 06:59 PM

That picture is not of my dish but I do have one exactly like that with the same LNB.

My other main dish is a 75e that I ran my two dvrs (they are 630) so I know I can just swap the LNB but the 405 that I have does not need HD stuff so I dont plan to upgrade it to the new LNB now and maybe do it at a later time if needed.

Thats why I am curious to know if I would need to replace the dish or just the LNB if I decide to swap the lnb on the 75E dish because I dont want to lose the 405.
Thats all I want to know.
Thanks
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-04-06, 07:15 PM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
From what you have stated so far, there is no need for you to change anything at all - today.

There is no benefit to anyone to change to the new LNB at all right now for programming, and there may never be a need for you personally to change to the new LNB.

That will be driven by your personal decisions about programming and receivers.

Do you really need to keep the 405 specifically, or do you just need to keep a standard definition box that can be connected with a single line?

I think it is difficult for anyone to predict right now what ShawDirect might do in future when they don't seem to know themselves.

If I had to put a dollar on the line my opinion is that if at some point in the future you find yourself requiring a new XKu LNB on your existing ShawDirect elliptical dish you will be forced to give up your 405 for business reasons from ShawDirect, not for technical reasons.

You may want to start figuring out where to put a switch and start looking for a good deal on a 600.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 2013-04-06, 09:17 PM

@sawguyg,

Thank you for the explanation.
Please check the older Dual LNB.
Has the white plastic cover fallen off?
I've seen a rash of these the past year, and eventually the water gets in and destroys it.
If the cover is still on the LNB, do you have trees growing that may be interfering with the signal?

If the issue is not trees, and the cover is still in place, maybe the LNB itself is just getting old and starting to fail.

I've seen older Bell and Shaw LNB's that are failing, giving weak signal strengths.

So, as I said before, if you want to install the new Triple LNB, then make sure you have good signal using Ch.299 (at least 80) with the older Dual LNB first.

Then exchange the LNB's without moving the dish.

Call Shaw, tell them you've installed the new Triple LNB, and they will send the correct v-codes and maps to your receivers.

It may take 15 mins for the receivers to start working again after Shaw has Refreshed your receivers.

P.S. I just thought of something else.
Do you have a Model 60E dish, or a Model 75E dish???
There two different Triple XKu LNB's, one for the Model 60E and one for the Model 75E.
You MUST use the correct one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in