505 vs 600 compatability issues with dish? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-04-01, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

505 vs 600 compatability issues with dish?

Hi, everyone. Despite being a hand-on guy and above average knowledge on modern digital technology, I'm not a satellite user/subscriber so I'm reaching out here - haha.

So, my mother lives in Salmon Arm and has a cabin on an island off the coast. She recently changed providers in Salmon arm to Shaw and the guy came out and changed her dishes and left three receivers that are all active. (weird thing: I thought she used to be with Starchoice as I recognized the on screen menu on her TV from when I last was a customer and it matched my 505 receiver. But she said the sat dishes were changed on her house when she received the new receivers).
Anyway, she wants me to install one of her receivers on her place on the island which currently has a sat dish. I spoke with a tech guy here in quesnel who explained it shouldnt be a problem, just plug and play so to speak. He did however mention something about the old dishes versus new ones and used a three letter acronym to explain the difference. I cant recall what the acronym was but nevertheless, Ive gone ahead and hooked up the new receiver. Nothing. I then hooked up on of her old 505 receivers that hasnt been active in at least 2 years and I got 'something', but not a program or anything. The tech guy stated that the 505 should work as well if it was active and if not I could go online and activate myself (using mom's account info) and something about resetting it on line as well.
So anyway, it would appear to me that the dish is aligned and getting a signal but there is a compatibility issue. Iam posting links to several pictures i took of both the 505 and 600 set up screens as well as the dish and hoping I can get direction from some of you on my next step. Thanks.

the 505 receiver hooked up:

The new 600 receiver that is active hooked up to same dish:

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-04-02, 10:22 AM
Veteran

The tuners are the same.

The LNBFs on the dishes are different, in that the new dish is X-KU, which tunes existing RF channels on different frequencies than the old style LNBF.

She needs Shaw Direct to change the V-code for the receivers she will be using to a standard non-stacked LNBF.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-04-02, 10:37 AM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
The short answer is that unless you have exactly the same equipment in both locations you will have to jump through hoops to make things work. Assuming that the old round dish is still aimed correctly it is only looking at a single satellite, and will only get channels from one satellite.

Was the Quesnel installer perhaps saying something about a V-code? It's plug and play if you have the same equipment in both locations, nowhere near that with different dishes.

The easiest approach is as follows,

1) Identify what kind of dish and LNB Mom has in Salmon Arm.
2) Get the identical dish and LNB for the cabin, installed and properly aimed/wired there. Best way to get this done with official assistance from ShawDirect is to get the second dish through the "Home Away From Home" program.
3) Add all of the possible receivers that may be used in either location to the account. Then you can move them back and forth at will.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-04-02, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you both.

The tech in Quesnel was in fact referring to the LBN, which is about the point when my eyes glazed over.

so..new dish required to make the 600 work. check. But, will the 505 work if activated on the existing dish or is something else standing in the way?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-04-02, 11:54 AM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
It is important to specify which "existing dish" you are referring to.

Once activated on an account, the 505 can work electronically at either location.

The 600 can get some channels that the 505 will never be able to receive regardless of the dish or LNB.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-04-02, 12:02 PM
Veteran

You don't "need" a new dish at the cabin. Having a new dish with XKu installed will just make it easier to take receivers back and forth, as you don't need to call Shaw Direct and have V-codes changed.

Plus, if you get a new dish/LNBF the same as at home, you get all the HD and other channels, and when G1 comes online, those channels too.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-04-02, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

"You don't "need" a new dish at the cabin. Having a new dish with XKu installed will just make it easier to take receivers back and forth, as you don't need to call Shaw Direct and have V-codes changed.
Plus, if you get a new dish/LNBF the same as at home, you get all the HD and other channels, and when G1 comes online, those channels too. "

This is all good stuff!

To clarify, "existing dish" meant the one currently not in use at the cabin; the one in the photo.

I would prefer for convenience sake to NOT change the dish and just change the V codes on the 505 receiver. This MUST be done via Shaw? Is there anything I can do in advance to make the call easier? What info is req'd?
Mom has only one TV at home but three working receivers (one is not HD nor have an HDMI output however - don't ask me why), so there will not be swapping of receivers on a regular basis. I will set up the one on the island and leave it.

But I am curious, you've mentioned that some channels will not be available on the 505. Why would this be (since this is an HD receiver) and which channels would they be? And finally, what is the G1 you refer to?

Thanks again!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-04-02, 05:45 PM

Today, the dish at the cabin will only get standard definition channels on 1 of the 2 satellites ShawDirect currently delivers service from, Anik F1.

Also, as it sits today, the technical differences between the 505 and the 600 have no impact at the cabin. Channels that are delivered as MPEG-4 cannot be received on a 505.

http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/doc...ineup_1012.pdf

Some day in the future they will also deliver services from Anik G1, which is why your Mom had to not only get a new dish, but the newest LNB. Other threads have long discussions about G1.

Practically, you'll want to consider how often someone will be at the cabin wanting to watch TV. Having different equipment will require calling ShawDirect when at the cabin so they can enable the correct settings to receive service on the older dish. This will have to be reversed when Mom returns to Salmon Arm.

Adding yourself to the account so you are allowed to call in to make changes will make things easier, and setting up a password so you don't have to validate account information every time will also help.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-04-02, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Ahhh! Having to call Shaw each time is impracticable obviously. I was under the impression they could both work simultaneously. Clearly, a new sat dish is the way to go.

But really? Do I have to call Shaw or is it not simply a matter of running down to the electronic store and buying a new dish? Are they aimed differently?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-04-02, 07:41 PM

See post #3

:-)

You may as well be totally above board and sign up for Home Away From Home. You're not really going to do much better walking in off the street somewhere and buying a ShawDirect elliptical dish with the new XKu LNB.

Let them know that Mom has two locations, give them both service addresses, tell them you will have to self install, get the dish shipped to Mom's, self install the dish at the cabin, sell any boxes you don't need, maybe even get a few bucks for the old dish if you advertise it for FTA.

The new dish at the cabin will be aimed slightly differently than the old dish but unless it is just squeezing past some trees or a mountain top right now you should not have too much trouble planting a new dish in the same location. Download the self install PDF from the ShawDirect web site.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-04-02, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

You have been terrific!
Thanks for the guidance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in