Senior management shake up at Shaw Direct - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 2013-03-31, 01:32 PM

^^^And let's hope by then that these ridiculous companies stop trying to force their IPTV and Internet packages together. There's a small chance I may give fibe TV a chance, but there's no way in h3ll i would sub to Bell internet. More TPIAs need to start an IPTV business and allow eachother to run on their networks. Remove Bhell from the TV business!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 2013-03-31, 06:47 PM

Agreed. Fibe TV is supposed to be rolled out in Fort Erie this summer. I would love the TV service but the thought of being forced into taking the Internet with it makes me cringe. Maybe if we're lucky G1 will be launched and I won't have such an itch to switch to something else.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 2013-04-03, 01:06 PM
Rookie

Exclamation New Direction

Have no idea what direction Shaw Direct is heading in. Both Jim and Justin were sent in years ago to bring StarChoice into some form of profitability. Which they did. The loss of experience and talent with these two gone is immense. One would think that positions otherwhere in Shaw would have been a better move. But Shaw has had trouble with better moves recently.

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 2013-04-05, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Both Jim and Justin were sent in years ago to bring StarChoice into some form of profitability. Which they did. The loss of experience and talent with these two gone is immense.
While Jim met the initial goal of getting Star Choice into a positive cash flow and profitable position as soon as possible, what did he do after that?

Very little as his lack of interest or capability in making Shaw Direct a first class customer focused organization is quite apparent.

a) He thought the Benchmark for good customer service was for a Canadian to answer the phone in a timely fashion. Very admirable - but only 1 facet of good customer service. If one looks through the history of complaints on forums, it is apparent the same missteps are repeated over and over again. For example - technical issues with Shaw Broadcast Services have NEVER been addressed in a timely fashion. The audio dropout problems on CBC HD exist even today. And remember the problems on Fox Detroit HD. How many months did that go on?

b) Unscrupulous door to door salespeople. I personally warned him about lying salespeople and sales management in Ontario years ago. Yet he did nothing to remove these flim flam characters for an extended period.

c) Failure to take the time to learn the technology and where it was headed. The DSR500 was a joke with it's lack of 8PSK capability. Yet a startup satellite company (Voom) knew all about it and had Motorola add it to it's first offering - which became the DSR505. And if he had taken the time to play with DirecTV's first or second generation MPEG4 receiver, he should have seen that the 505/530 series was obsolete before deployment.

d) Failure to understand that ku slots were limited in the centre of the arc. He should have quit as soon as Jim Shaw passed on Anik F3 ku transponders. Any smart business person would have realized Jim Shaw had 0 interest in satellite and it was time to get the resume out.

e) Lying Marketing materials
Sales means presenting one's products in the most favourable light. Puffery and fancy catchy phrases are a big part. However outright lying is not: eg - "Most advanced DVR", and "No contract".

I'm not washed up yet
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 2013-04-05, 10:52 AM
Veteran

I agree with just about everything except where to place the blame. Technical problems with HD have existed since 2001 and have never been fixed. Shaw has always been reluctant to lease new transponders and add HD. Since it was acquired by Shaw, Star Choice/Shaw Direct has fallen farther behind the times with HD and technical expertise each year. Customer service also fell to the worst in the industry at that time. There is more going on than just a couple of senior managers not performing.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 2013-04-06, 12:55 AM

agreed....cost and a lack of FREE HD have me close to ending it with Shaw. A friend in the U.S. gets nearly 80 FREE HD channels if similar SD is subscribed to. And I bought Shaw for one reason only: HAFH, which includes going south in the winter. The new bird will give us no coverage in that scenario. bogus. I subscribe to nine bundles, and watch about 10% of the channels, because SD is just so 1985

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in