volume difference between channels - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2013-03-10, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

volume difference between channels

There is always some difference in volume between channels but it seems that this volume difference seems to be getting bigger. change channel and I need to jump on the volume turning it up or down.

anyone else notice this?

Dave
VE3DVY

Last edited by dmoes; 2013-03-10 at 10:47 PM. Reason: clarify question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2013-03-11, 11:51 AM

I am sure we all noice it to a greater or lesser degree. This mandate to control the volume levels between program and commercials is like the "do-not-call" list. The law is very clear on both issues but the government does not care one hoot about enforcement. I hang up in less than 2 seconds when there is no one to respond to my 'hello'. If you are calling me then you are right there, if you are selling duct cleaning from some grubby hellhole in a far off galaxy then you are history. If your commercials are annoyingly loud then I carve one more notch on my promise to only watch pre recorded programs and nothing live. Memo to program providers and commercial purchasers: Stop stepping and sitting in your own doo-doo.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2013-03-12, 11:42 AM

When we had Shaw Direct, I noticed the volume difference between channels. We have cable now, and the same thing happens.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2013-03-20, 09:39 PM

Yes, this has been an issue for years with Shaw Direct. I have found going through the audio menu can help, depending on your setup. For example, if you use your TV speakers, then pick TV in the audio section.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2013-03-21, 04:07 AM

As a long time Shaw Direct user I have noticed that some of the channels are now starting to use AGC automatic gain control.
While it works great for those over loud tv ads,but the program part will pump all the back ground sounds when nobody has any speakings parts.
What it needs is a more balanced volume touch.
It is not great,but it is a step in the right direction.
I notice that the movie channels HBO and Movie Central play the sound much quieter.Not an issue until you switch back to a regular channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in