Surround Sound Issues on KIRO-TV - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-01, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Surround Sound Issues on KIRO-TV

Is anyone else having surround sound not coming through at all on KIRO-TV, CBS Seattle, Channel 327 on Shaw Direct? I've noticed the problem for a while now, about midway through the NFL season (start of November). On WWJ-TV, CBS Detroit, the sound was fine, even during the same game shown across both affiliates.

This has continued for other shows and sports telecasts on KIRO-TV. I've emailed Shaw Direct, and they state they can't find any problems really. This problem is there on direct CBS broadcasts (no simsubs).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 11:00 AM

what is the problem, exactly? out of phase? distortion....explain please. of course, on SD channels it would just be a stereo mix, correct?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned the specific problem... the problem is there is no surround sound! The front left and right speakers have (had for NFL games) the announcer coming through, as well as the center channel (but the announcer should only come through the center channel), and the rear speakers had no sound coming through them at all.

This is on channel 327, the HD channel. Other stations come in fine, so I know it's not my setup.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 04:07 PM
Rookie

I reported this problem over a year ago. No answers as to why this is. I get no dialogue in the center channel (where it should be) it sends the dialogue to the FL & FR speakers. so annoying that I haven't recorded anything on Kiro for more than a year!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 07:28 PM

ah, so you must not be using the "classic" lineup, as I am, which would explain why you have HD on channel 327.

My Kiro is on 290, and I record with both a 630, and via a 605 to a HTPC, and surround is properly distributed to all channels. Letterman, Hawaii Five-O, etc., all produce quality surround. Maybe it has something to do with the lineup? I assume that you haven't told your receiver to send center channel to FL & FR (I can do that with my Yamaha)? Are you getting a 5.1 indicator light of some kind on your receiver's panel?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 11:49 PM
Rookie

I have a high end Onkyo that I use. The display shows DD 5.1 but no dialogue from the center. I have my Onkyo set up to use discrete channels. I have no problem with the Eastern CBS HD feed, or any of the other HD channels (East and West). It is only with KIRO TV Seattle HD. It happened when I was on the classic lineup and still continues with the advanced lineup. I have tried different surround settings such as: neo, THX Movie, THX Cinema, THX Ultra 2. No success. I gave up a year ago and have been recording off the east feed only for CBS
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-05, 12:33 AM

bizarre. I'll record letterman tonight and have a listen, but it's likely it will be fine, from channel 290.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-05, 12:58 AM
Rookie

every CBS primetime show I've tried on KIRO HD has had the dialogue come out of the FL & FR speakers instead of the center speaker. It is bizarre. I've recorded the same show / episode on cbs east and then recorded the episode on cbs west 3 hours later. The east feed always gets the sound right. I get the main dialogue come through the center and not the Fl & FR speakers. My onkyo is set to process the DD 5.1 signal the same way every time. It's a royal pain. I work afternoon shift, so I record 5 hours of TV a night Mon-Fri. It would sure help my recording setup if I could get the KIRO feed to uotput the DD 5.1 signal properly.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-05, 03:40 AM

sorry to break the bad news....Letterman tonight is 5.1, all channels reporting for duty on ch. 290, CBS Seattle. The surrounds are a little weak, but center channel is loud and clear.
maybe there's something wrong with your channel map - it's the only thing that makes sense.

PS...I listen in straight 5.1 - no surround effects or stadium nonsense, so I know it's good. Yamaha RX-V871 receiver
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-05, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

I have a nice Onkyo receiver myself, and I don't have any problems with any other US networks on Shaw Direct, including WWJ-TV - CBS Detroit.

But I did just receive an email from Shaw Direct, indicating to me that the problem has been fixed. Maybe that's why you're hearing things properly TVMaster. I'll have to check it out myself.

I haven't tuned into this channel in a while, as I'm in the eastern time zone, and NCAA basketball (and of course golf) hasn't been regionalized on CBS of late, so I've been just watching CBS Detroit on the weekends for sports (whereas the NFL did have quite a few regionalized games). But I'll check it out this weekend for sure, if not beforehand myself. Hopefully the problem has been fixed.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-05, 02:46 PM
Rookie

I recorded letterman last night and the 5.1 was processed properly I'll record NCIS on both the east and west feeds tonight to ascertain if the problem with the west (KIRO) feed was fixed. I hope so (fingers crossed)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-05, 04:36 PM

that should be interesting....I wonder if Kiro plays tape for Primetime, and takes a feed for Letterman. record both pre-news and post Kiro news programs
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-06, 03:21 PM
Rookie

I recorded both feeds of NCIS last night and am happy to report that KIRO's feed had the proper DD 5.1 channel configuration I guess they fixed it some time recently. I will try a couple more shows just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2013-03-09, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

I finally got to check KIRO-TV now during the NCAA Basketball game, and the surround sound is coming through properly now!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in