Third party dish - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-02-22, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Third party dish

I have looked and can't seem to find an answer to this question. Can you use a dish other than the official Shaw Direct dish to get Shaw Direct Signals? Just want to move my dish and don't want to take the old one down till the snow melts. Have some old Oval Fta dishes around and an extra Shaw LMB, was wondering if I could uses one of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-02-22, 02:18 PM

yes it would work. Just needs to be of similar size and dimensions to the original dish for best results
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-02-22, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Oh ok cool.. Give it a try..

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-02-23, 09:34 AM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
When you say oval, are you talking about FTA dishes that are kind of egg shaped vertically?

It can be done, but it is not as simple as mounting a ShawDirect LNB on a random dish if you want to get both satellites. The two different quad LNBs for the elliptical dishes are purpose built for the 4 degree separation. You will also have challenges just mounting the quad lnb on the arm of most FTA dishes.

If you don't have a ShawDirect elliptical or a similar dish you may want to get an adjustable multi lnb mount and use two individual Ku lnbs, then use a switch. Although I assume you don't need the size of dishes, search for posts from Danny001 about his multidish install.

Or, considering that 60e dishes with quad lnbs are getting close to free these days, just pick up a spare that works off Kijiji.

Last edited by envirogeek; 2013-02-23 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Pudgy finger trouble
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-02-23, 02:52 PM

If you are going to attempt installing the Shaw LNB on the elliptical dish, make sure the length of the arm is 17 3/4 inches long.

This is the length on a 60cm Model 60E dish.

Ive seen homemade Shaw dishes bastardized from parts that did not work because the arm used was the wrong length.

Good luck.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-02-24, 11:02 AM

Further more, the only time I could NOT get a Shaw Model 60E dish to work was when someone purchased a used Shaw dish from Kijiji.

I spent almost 3 hours trying everything I could think of and nothing. So I left to finish my other calls, and told the customer I'd return tomorrow.

On day 2, I asked the customer to call the seller. I asked the seller where he got the dish, and he said he built it from spare parts!!!

Then I thought the focal length may be incorrect betwenn the dish and the LNB. I measured the arm length and it was over 20 inches long.

I went next door and asked the neighbour's permission to measure his Shaw dish, he said yes, and it was 17 3/4 inches long.

So I took my customers dish down, cut the pole to 17.75 inches, reinstalled the LNB, and had a 85% signal in FIVE MINUTES!!!

It took me about 4 hours to solve this problem, all because of someone's ignorance.

I have never tried using a basic FTA elliptical dish to get a Shaw signal, but as long as the arm length is 17.75 inches, try it out.

Because the elliptical's surface area is smaller than a Shaw 60E dish, you may not obtain an 80% signal.

Also, use Ch.299 to setup your dish on the first satellite, and be sure to Skew the elliptical dish correctly, or you won't get a signal using Ch.299

Also, use Ch.700 to tune in the 2nd satellite.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-03-03, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

I measured the dish arms I have. None of them are the right lengths. Thanks for the info. I would have driven myself nuts trying to figure that out.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2013-03-03, 11:14 AM
Veteran

It's not arm length that is critical. The LNB must sit at the focal point of the dish. That can be different for different brands, sizes and types of dish. For a multiple head LNB, the spacing must be correct for the distance from the focal point. That's all in addition to getting the skew and elevation and direction correct. It's a lot more complicated than it appears at first glance.

I recommend getting a used Shaw Direct dish. Just make sure it is branded with Shaw Direct or Star Choice. Ask the seller if it works and when it was in use last. There should be lots of them for sale cheap. A few years ago, I couldn't give one away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in