Firmware Version 09.15 - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 104 (permalink) Old 2013-02-15, 03:30 PM

Well, maybe they should based on rules mandated by the movie studios, but I can tell you it's never been a policy of Shaw to charge people more than once for a PPV movie regardless of how many times it's been viewed even after the initial 48 hour window. Like I mention in the other thread, Shaw confirmed in writing that they don't. I just now got confirmation from Shaw Direct twitter that they have NEVER charged people for multiple views off a PVR regardless of when it's recorded.

Quote from Twitter rep- "That's definitely not right. We've never charged for people watching PPV after 48 hours if it's saved on their PVR."

I guarantee you will not find one person who was charged more than once for a PPV movie, unless they ordered it again by accident or something. There is no way for Shaw to police this anyway, as lots of folks don't have their receiver hooked to a phone line.

And because of this, this is why you now see the new firmware making recordings expire after 48 hours.

I've watched PPV movies multiple times and it shows up once in the ppv order history, on the day I ordered it, and I'm hooked to a phone line.

Anyway, I've said all I'm going to say on the subject as it's getting off topic to this thread, I just don't like when people mislead others with info that simply isn't true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 104 (permalink) Old 2013-02-16, 04:31 PM

No lockups so far.
post #18 of 104 (permalink) Old 2013-02-16, 05:49 PM

2 days and no failures, lockups or reboots. Keeping my fingers crossed. I do have a question: when you reboot or start up from power off what do you see after it's finished? Mine goes to 5:00 then 5:01 then the clock resets to the proper time. Is this normal?

post #19 of 104 (permalink) Old 2013-02-16, 06:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Mine goes to 5:00 then 5:01 then the clock resets to the proper time. Is this normal?
I believe this is normal. I've seen it a number of times. Other time zones have different times. If the time doesn't switch back to the correct time, it's frozen and needs to be unplugged or sometimes needs to be replaced.
post #20 of 104 (permalink) Old 2013-02-16, 06:14 PM

it's frozen and needs to be unplugged or sometimes needs to be replaced.[/QUOTE]

Mine did this back in Dec and 10 reboots couldn't fix it, so I called SD and they said a replacement was necessary. About a month ago I tried again and left the PVR at 5:00 and it came back after about 3 mins. I'm hoping this update will fix this plus the freeze ups and reboots.
post #21 of 104 (permalink) Old 2013-02-17, 12:58 AM
Veteran

It's sometimes a good idea to reset to factory defaults and/or unplug the unit for several minutes after an update. This is because data in EEPROM or carried over between soft resets can become corrupt. Disks can also become corrupt. I had two phantom recordings appear after the update. It must have included some kind of disk check.
post #22 of 104 (permalink) Old 2013-02-17, 01:00 PM

It's completely normal for it to display 7:00 or 7:01 before changing to the time received from the satellite data. If it doesn't change from 7:01 and remains locked up:

1. Unplug eSATA, satellite connections
2. Reboot
3. Enter Options, then 49886
4. Preserve DVR recordings and accept
5. When box reboots, connect up again and reboot again
6. Go into the Options, System Status
7. Go online and get a receiver refresh
8. Watch for Trip Count to increment and the map to be reloaded
9. Reset all your system settings to what they were.
post #23 of 104 (permalink) Old 2013-02-17, 02:28 PM

I had a lock up last night. Watching a recording and the program stopped. I couldn't get the PVR to work, but changing channels worked fine. I rebooted and everything was OK.

Millstone: I will try your suggestions today and see if this helps. I don't mine an occasional lockup as long as a reboot will work. I noticed my last reboot came up with a blank screen before the clock.
post #24 of 104 (permalink) Old 2013-02-17, 04:45 PM

Picture Froze

Picture froze today. Front panel reboot fixed it. Had this happen a few times before 9.15 as well.
post #25 of 104 (permalink) Old 2013-02-18, 02:46 PM

That happens to me ALL THE TIME.
post #26 of 104 (permalink) Old 2013-02-18, 06:38 PM

Im finding the remote is not responsive as it used to. There is a noticeable delay between a key press and the reciever acting on it.
post #27 of 104 (permalink) Old 2013-02-18, 07:17 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Make sure you don't have any IR interference as discussed in the following thread. This can come from the TV or other sources. Sometimes firmware adjusts the sensitivity of the IR receiver in the STB.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64463

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #28 of 104 (permalink) Old 2013-02-18, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochato View Post
Im finding the remote is not responsive as it used to. There is a noticeable delay between a key press and the reciever acting on it.
I and others had slow remote response before this update. Not always slow. Sometimes OK , sometimes slow and sometimes real slow
post #29 of 104 (permalink) Old 2013-02-18, 11:34 PM

The remote used to be alot more responsive with 8.26.
With 9.15 it takes several seconds for the info window or the guide to show up.
FF and FWD take several seconds before the unit aknowledges the key press.
So yes something has changed with this firmware.
post #30 of 104 (permalink) Old 2013-02-19, 08:03 AM

I had timers set for 1 am a couple of nights in order to tape the Westminster Dog Show... so as soon as my receiver was targeted, I forced the download so that it wouldn't happen at 1 am when I was recording.

Download went fine...proper update number appeared in the settings.

However the following day when I went to watch the opening night of the dog show, the entire first 30 - 45 minutes showed up in red on my recording. Hmmm.... about the same amount of time as the download might have taken that night if I had not forced it earlier? There was certainly no local weather issue... but the rest of the recording had intermittent pixilation.

I've since found a couple of recordings with intermittent audio dropouts... and Family Guy from Sunday night had some visual pixilation as well.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in