Which channels will go on the new satellite? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-02-02, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Which channels will go on the new satellite?

I am sure that it is no shock that every person in Quebec I spoke with this summer who had Shaw, told me that they only had Shaw because Shaw can be received in Florida, where many Quebecers spend their summers. It really seems that for every 4 Bell dishes you see, there is one Shaw.

Also, there are many more French HD channels on Bell, such as TV5, Addik TV, Evasion, Historia and Tele Quebec. Other than being able to use the service while vacationing in the states, I see no advantage to having Shaw if you are Francophone.

Since the new satellite will only cover Canada, as well as few bordering states, if they were to put the French HD on the new satellite, would it really get them any more subscribers in Quebec when so many already have Bell?

It seems that, if they were to move some of the channels that they are required to carry to the new satellite and put all of the French channels on the current satellites, they could change the situation and make themselves the #1 provider for Quebec.

It would be easy to have one of each network , one from each time zone, on the current satellites, move the others to the extended KU band, and put all the new French HD channels on the current satellites. This would make Shaw a real star choice for Quebec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-02-03, 09:02 AM

I don't go to Florida, don't watch French channels so I have no dog in this fight but I wonder...why a carefully directed side-lobe cannot be set up from a Canadian TV satellite when it is being built and tuned up to intentionally cover Florida and perhaps Arizona where Canadians go for their vacations.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-02-03, 03:46 PM
Veteran

Because they don't have the right to use that band in the US as I understand it.

OH BTW previous post. "where many Quebecers spend their summers." Winters??

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-02-03, 11:58 PM
Veteran

Restricting coverage also provides better service for Canada. If the satellite has half the coverage area, it doubles the signal power within the coverage area for the same power output. Improving signal levels is critical for providing more HDTV channels on existing satellite space since error correction for weak signals consumes bandwidth. In any event, if I had a second address in Florida, I would be more likely to bring US satellite north than to take Canadian satellite south. Canadian subscribers to the south are probably a very small portion of any Canadian BDU's income.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-02-04, 09:22 AM

ExDilbert - actually my parents spend their winters in Florida and although they get much more channels down there, they still miss the Canadian news since there is no mention of Canada when watching news in the US. They feel completely out of the loop while they are away.

But it's a give and take: 3 months of -20C + Canadian news or 3 months of 85F and no mention of Canada.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-02-04, 09:38 AM
Veteran

The US greatly uses that band for terrestrial microwave, that is why G1 cannot cover CONUS. That band is not officially allocated for satellite downlink in the Americas, so Shaw sought and got an exemption to that, on the condition theri satellite be limited to Canada, and other things.

As for what may be on that satellite:

Broadcast stations not yet on Shaw Direct (which they must by June).
Probably mostly SD.

CTV2 HD (Atl, Ont, Alb), CHCH HD, Miracle HD, CBCNN HD, All West Canadian nets. Specialty channels not yet on, probably HD only.

They might, for real, add matrix channels.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-02-04, 01:27 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Broadcast stations not yet on Shaw Direct (which they must by June).
Probably mostly SD.
CTV2 HD (Atl, Ont, Alb), CHCH HD, Miracle HD, CBCNN HD, All West Canadian nets. Specialty channels not yet on, probably HD only.
I pretty much agree with that assessment. Most of the new channels will be Canadian OTA channels that are not currently carried due to lack of space. Add to that any specialty channels that Shaw wants to add for CANCOM contractual carriage or other reasons. Shaw's choice of HD channel carriage has always baffled me. For example, why have an HBO time shift channel when so many other unique channels are missing?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-02-04, 01:45 PM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
I suspect HBO is an example of where what ShawDirect shows to consumers is driven by Broadcast Services satellite space priorities.

http://www.shawbroadcast.com/Documen...ort_jan8_e.pdf
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-02-04, 02:06 PM
Veteran

I have a hunch it's driven by favouritism for services owned by west Canadian companies and those required for CANCOM feeds. (Is that now called Broadcast Services?) For example, why does MC have so many HD channels and TMN so few? That could also explain the HBO situation.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-02-07, 02:32 AM

dsource can you gt your parents set up with Shaw??
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-02-07, 12:00 PM

Bayguy - They may eventually switch to Shaw when back home in Canada, but I doubt they'll be able to take adv of home away from home program in Florida b/c they have a condo down there so it's doubtful they'll be able to setup a dish and also doubtful they'll be able to point a dish in the correct direction. It'd be a lot easier just to get internet for 3 months and surf for news online.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-04-25, 09:25 AM

What is moving to the new satellite?

I have not ordered the new LNB, but would if I thought a lot of HD channels were moving, especially the sports channels.

I may have missed what Shaw's plans are for this new sat does anyone know where I can find out, if in fact they have put out a press release?

Last edited by 57; 2013-04-25 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-04-25, 09:39 AM
Veteran

The only thing that might move to the new satellite is the PPV sports packages. Everything else that is currently on Anik F1R and F2 will probably stay where they are.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-04-25, 12:14 PM

Just curious why they you think they would move the PPV sport packages to the new bird? Would that only be UFC type PPV events or would that include NHL CI as well? I order NHL CI every year and would love for them to send me the new LNB free of charge come next fall and automatically get all the other benefits as well.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 2013-04-25, 06:12 PM
Veteran

If they already are MPEG4, they aren't moving any time soon.

The only thing known for sure to be going on G1 is the locals they need to add as part of the LPIF program.

A few days ago someone posted a list of HD channels they could add, which would be on G1 of course.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in