Adding 3rd (used) receiver - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-01-05, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Adding 3rd (used) receiver

We have Shaw 630 HDPVR for our main 42" HD TV and a 600 HDDSR for bedroom TV.

We recently switched from old analogue to new HD flatscreen for bedroom.
Old analogue TV is sitting idle. We could just dump it, but it could be useful in our home office so we could multitask . It only receives one channel clearly with rabbit ears

I could call Shaw and have them install a 3rd receiver, but a bit costly. Used receivers, both HD and not are advertised on Kijiji and elsewhere.

My Questions:

- I would apparently have to call serial number in to get used receiver activated. Can I do this just with the serial number or do I have to have receiver hooked up? (Don't want to pay for receiver until I know it can be activated.)

- Some receivers for sale are older non-HD units. Has there been any change in technology and are there any models of receiver that will not work or should be avoided?

Another idea:
Given we have PVR in same side of house as office and we would not want to watch TV in both places at same time, is it possible to run separate outputs from HDPVR 630 and have them both work without any changes in setup?

Composite output would go to old analogue and HDMI to HD TV? (Composite run would be about 50ft)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-01-05, 11:19 AM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
Topic has come up before.

Good way to reuse CRTs in seldom used locations for occasional viewing.

1) Run composite/analog outputs from 630 (yellow, red, white) into old VCR. If you don't have or can't find an old VCR you can pick up a cheap modulator at Princess Auto, or a more professional one from other sources
2) Send channel 3/4 out onto coax cable
3) Run coax into old CRT
4) UHF remote with the wire antenna installed on 630 can be used to change channels
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-01-05, 11:56 AM

As a private installer who does Bell, Shaw, etc... here is my suggestion.

Install a new cable from your dish to the office, be sure you use RG6 coax (NOT the smaller RG59).

Look for a used Shaw receiver on Kijiji.

BEFORE you purchase it, ask the seller for the receiver serial #.

Then call Shaw to verify the receiver is legitimate (not a Rental, not stolen, and does not have a balance owing).

Shaw will also be able to tell you whether or not that receiver is still supported by them.

If Shaw states that the receiver is good, purchase it from the Seller, and install it yourself.

Once it is hooked up, and you verify it has a satellite signal, call Shaw to add it to your account and they will activate it for you.

Good luck.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-01-05, 12:12 PM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
???

Adding a sat receiver is certainly an option but "adding a ton of cables"?

1 run of RG6 from the dish to the new receiver location is different from 1 run of RG59 or RG6 from the 630 location?

Both solutions require 1 more piece of electronics, with similar cable connections.

And, the modulated VCR approach may be able to reuse existing coax runs already in the walls.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-01-05, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the posts - Both worth considering.

I had thought I would have to run new and quite long composite cables all the way to the office from the PVR. But as it is, I still have the Cogeco coax running from the home cable entry point to the vicinity of the PVR. I also have another unused coax (was feed to cable modem) running from the same entry point to the office near to where we would put the TV.

If I brought cable in from dish, I could use short section of new outdoor wire and connect to the existing coax feed to office. Probably cleanest install if I can find a cheap receiver.

I don't have a VCR, but if I can find the modulator (need more info!), then I could use both sections of abandoned coax to also reach the TV.

I didn't understand use of modulator/VCR

- A small wire antenna came with the 630. Are you saying I should install that and then I can change channels from other room? Using same Shaw remote or another? In other words, what is a UHF remote
- If both TVs are on, would they both work normally? (or be on same channel?)
- Is it the modulator where channels 3/4 can be chosen to send out signal?
- This Princess Auto unit is Stereo. Is that a problem seeing our TV is not?

Re existing wiring - It is RG-59 and was used for our Cogeco cable service (internet for one, TV for other). New Shaw wiring is all RG6.

ADDED: I found manual for modulator at The Source. http://downloads.thesource.ca/151/15...als/manual.pdf
Question: Our TV does have A/V input as well as coax for antenna. Not stereo - Just white/yellow. It was previously connected to HDDSR 600 using a two wire connector. How does two-wire connect to 3-wire A/V? Is modulator needed or is it just convenient to use it so existing wires can be used?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-01-05, 06:58 PM

A CRT TV with only two RCA jacks is usually 80's/90's vintage, 1 jack for video, 1 jack for mono audio. You will not require these connections if you connect over coax. You will need them if you connect another ShawDirect satellite receiver like a DSR600.

An RF modulator typically has a yellow RCA jack for video, with red/white for audio.

The modulator is an output convertor, so in your case it would connect to the corresponding jacks on the back of the PVR 630, then convert the composite video from the yellow to a coax cable output also combining the red/white into mono audio.

Yes, the 630 should have come with a UHF remote which allows you to change channels from another room if you connect the small antenna - https://secure.shawdirect.ca/english...600_manual.pdf.

The CRT would stay on channel 3 or 4 just like back in the day when we used VCR's for tuning cable channels.

From what you described of your existing in wall cables, your path would be as follows,

PVR630 -> RCA cables -> VCR or RF Modulator -> short chunk of coax -> wall plate -> unused Cogeco in-wall cable -> home cable point entry area -> barrel connector to other piece of former cable modem coax in-wall -> wall plate -> short chunk of coax -> TV in office

Running long composite cables and audio cables would not really be of much benefit if the TV is not capable of stereo audio.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-01-06, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks enviro for the detailed explanation. I think I now have it straight!
Seems choice is used sat box vs modulator.
Sat box would give us independent channel selection. Not THAT important at present.
Modulator route would act as a sort of relay from PVR. Same channels both rooms.

No used HD boxes on kijiji here at present, but some non-HD units in $20-$30 range. (Iam just about to sell/give away my non-HD Cogeco cable box for $15.00!)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-01-06, 10:08 AM
Veteran

Quote:
- Some receivers for sale are older non-HD units. Has there been any change in technology and are there any models of receiver that will not work or should be avoided?
Yes, definitely.
First is the move to 8PSK carrier modulation. Second is to MPEG4 video coding.

To get 8PSK, you need a 209, 319, or HD receiver other than the DSR500.
To get MPEG4, you need a DSR6xx series receiver.

Up to now, nearly no SD channels have been pulled from QPSK in favor of 8SPK.
A few SD channels have been added in 8PSK the past few years. A number of local channels have been added in MPEG4.

If I were in your position, I would look into getting A/V from your 630 to the other TV with an RF modulator, or straight composite video and Cat3 with RCA plugs for audio. Just use one if your TV is just mono. If your other TV is connected with HDMI, you might be able to use a Y combiner with no ill effect. Or get another DSR600.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-01-06, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

classicsat, thanks for the useful info. I have asked a couple of sellers on kijiji which non-HD models they have. For the new feed-in option, I would have to buy the used receiver plus a section of outdoor RG6 and one connector.

For the modulator option, I don't need much other than the modulator. Maybe one or two connectors and perhaps a 6ft RG59/6 extension.

With modulator option on 630, am I correct in that if both TVs turned on, we would get same channels on both TVs? Just wondered if somehow seeing there are two receivers in 630, that one could output to (HDMI) and one to Composite?

Last edited by 57; 2013-01-06 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-01-06, 12:27 PM

Two tuners (inputs) in 630, yes. Two different sources output on two different cables to different displays simultaneously, no. Very, very few Pvrs offer that feature.

1 choice of source material can be viewed at one time, output to all connections.

Depending on the content and your resolution settings you would typically see letterboxed content on the composite output when viewing high def wide screen content on the HDMI connected display.

No choice of different channels with the modulator "dumb terminal" method but you have full functionality of the pvr. With the 630 two channels can be theoretically recorded while viewing previously recorded content.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-01-06, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

OK thanks I realized that the dual output was a long shot
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-01-06, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

I have found a few receivers locally:
- older Starchoice/Shaw non HD in $20-$30 range
- PVR (no model no.) $50.00 (but I only have one connection available)
- DSR-505 - $40.00

Does the DSR-505 look like a reasonable option?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-01-06, 03:29 PM

PVRs need 2 runs of cable from the dish. With 2 PVRs and a 600 you would have 5 lines requiring a switch.

If you want to view any HD channels you don't have in SD with your subscription the 505 is a good choice. Multiple outputs including coax which would be OK for your CRT.

You'll have to determine for yourself if standard def gives you the channels you want. Of all the ShawDirect boxes I have owned, the 317 was probably my personal favorite.

If SD channels are sufficient, a 317 or 319 for 20 to 30 bucks would be a nice choice.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-01-06, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response! One PVR should be enough for us. The 505 sounds like it might be a good option, especially if we decide later to get a better TV for our office.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 2013-01-06, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

As it turned out, the $40 505 owner lives way out in country. Further than I wanted to drive today.

I had another offer - A 205 for $10.00. Considering the use on old CRT TV, would that work?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in