Buggy 530, new 630 coming - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-01-02, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Buggy 530, new 630 coming

Called SD today, one of the 530's my parents use in there suite has been buggy for quite some time. They are having to power button reset almost daily. Finally called, went thru the usual hoops with first CSR, passed me onto tech support who assessed that the receiver needed replaced. He offered to send me a new 530 plus shipping. Asked if it was a refurb, he said it was. Asked how much to get a new 630. He offered a price of 300. said that wasn't low enough and then offered 250. I said that one still to much. He offered to pass me onto the loyalty department as they have more authority to offer a better deal. Talked to new rep. and explained our issues with the 530. She said she could do a new 630 for $99. With that offer I asked if she could do my second 530 receiver for that price. After being on hold for a few min. she came back and said she could do the second one also. I'm very happy with the deal I'm receiving, what does the community think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-01-02, 09:51 PM
Veteran

The 630 is buggier. Long thread but you can start at this post. The new firmware has made the 630 even worse.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...postcount=1667
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-01-02, 09:58 PM
Rookie

I would say this is a good deal considering you will only be paying 198$ + taxes for 2 x 630. To be honest, I am aware of the current problems with the new firmware but everything in my case has been top notch. A few hick ups here and there but nothing serious...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-01-04, 01:07 PM

Won't they be forced to upgrade all of the 5xx series once they go to MPEG4?
As a 15 year subscriber, I know I have no intention to pay for my upgrade.

Sony KDL-52XBR4,SD DVR530/630,Tosh HD-A2 HD-A30, Pana DMP-BD65, Pio VSX-1015,Energy C3,CC100,ESM-4,S8.2, Engenius WAP
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-01-04, 01:39 PM
Veteran

I don't think Shaw Direct ever voluntarily upgrades anything for free. It starts out with SD trying to make customers full price and only offers discounts when the customer threatens to cancel. SD is even trying to make customers pay for LNBF upgrades for the new satellite. IIRC, SD promised the CRTC that they would upgrade receivers to MPEG4, as part of another agreement, but hasn't done anything to fulfill that promise.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-01-05, 11:32 AM

It's a good deal compared to anything else out there right now.
Will SD do free upgrades in the future....who knows for certain?
Bear in mind when you come to a site like this you're going to hear complaints. People don't join these forums to say all is well.
My 630 is currently running smoothly along with it's 1 TB eHDD. It has been MUCH better than my 530 ever was.
Having said that in the past I've had a few problems with it, but never anything enough to make me regret upgrading from the 530.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-01-05, 12:19 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Won't they be forced to upgrade all of the 5xx series once they go to MPEG4
If they switch major channels (as is important, rather than high value) to MPEG4, then possibly they would. G1 launch holdup not withstanding, I believe their short term plans are or were to launch only new channels in MPEG4, and longer term dual illuminate Premium/HD channels in MPEG2 and MPEG4, and maybe have more modest upgrade deals, and upgrade old receivers as their fail.

They can start small with ethnic and premium channels.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-01-05, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

To add some back ground info, the 530 I used has been fairly stable for quite some time, it was a replacement from my original one. The 530 my parents use has been very buggy all along. They were having to reset daily with power button and or pulling the plug, and it was formatted back in the summer which helped but not for very long. They had enough so I called to get a replacement. Hopefully the new ones coming will be more stable for them.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 01:14 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
Maybe they are trying to expand their beta test population for the 630? I have 2x530s and a 630. I find the 530 more reliable given its known inadequacies. At least it would record what it said it would!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 01:50 PM
Veteran

My 630 messed up again on Friday evening. It's getting to be a predictable Friday occurrence. It seems that the only time it doesn't happen is when there are no new shows to record.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2013-01-25, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi everyone, thought I would return and give a update. Received my two 630 on Jan. 8th. Connected both receiver's up and then called SD to have them activated, used the call back service so I wasn't waiting on hold. I was back in my part of the house when they called. When the csr asked for my unit id which I gave her she said something was wrong, it didn't start with 000. After putting me on hold for a couple of min. She came back with the receiver was dead out of the box. Needless to say I wasn't happy, rep. apologized and said she would send a new one in which the morning. Went to my parents suite to activate there 630, no issues with there's. Received the replacement 630 on the 17th, hooked it up and called, waited for the call back service. This one activated with no issues. CSR left me with downloading the 8.26 update. Came back after awhile to see that it hadn't downloaded. Tried again to no avail. Ended up doing a power button reset and it downloaded with no issues. Figured out how to setup weekly recurring events (timers) that night. I like the new interface, have some suggestions for enhancements. Been using the 630 for the past week, no issues, even after a power bump. Sometimes my old 530 would have issues after a power bump. Seen that I received 8 free VOD rentals yesterday. Other than the first 630 was dead out of box, I'm happy with my 630. Jon

Last edited by ShuswapCanuck; 2013-01-25 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Grammar edit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in