Shaw Direct New Channels Discussion - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-12, 09:07 AM
Veteran

See my previous post.

A good deal of subscribers still are SD, or rely on those SD channels.
Shaw Direct will need to switch all those receivers to 600 models before they can shut off SD.

The new satellite will be available soon, so they can start with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-12, 10:32 AM

I don't think they'l ever shut down standard def TV there are to many people that don't have HD....some of us are HD starved but some people don't care about it.....I have a very good friend that is like that............I think he's nuts...LOL
post #93 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-12, 01:36 PM

A standard def TV can still use a 600-series receiver and display HD channels, it just ends up being displayed at the TV's lower resolution. Shaw could save a lot of transponder bandwidth by eliminating the SD channels and replacing them with just HD, but they'd need to ensure everyone who has an older receiver gets a new one. That would be expensive and time consuming.

post #94 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-12, 02:12 PM
Veteran

The needs of Shaw Direct customers doesn't drive Shaw decisions about what goes on Satellite, it's the needs of Shaw Broadcast customers. This is why Shaw Direct's existing HD channels on Anik F1R and F2 will remain MPEG-2. It's also the reason why SD channels aren't going anywhere any time soon.
post #95 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-17, 04:10 PM

The Shawdiect people are saying May 29 is slated as the official date to launch the NEW CHANNELS. If anything changes they will let us know.
post #96 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-17, 06:55 PM
Veteran

The thing I don't get is if they know they are launching channels on May 29th, why not just tell us what they are? Why keep it secret till May 29th? I'm sure people would like to know what they will be getting and where to find the new channels. It makes no sense at all.
post #97 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-17, 07:06 PM

They said not all contracts are done for the channels......but if we are getting HD channels that we already have in SD......should be no reason why they can't give us those listings.
post #98 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-17, 07:32 PM

Older contracts have to be renegotiated - they didn't include automatic HD rights for SD channels. That's a fairly new provision.
post #99 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-17, 11:58 PM
Rookie

speed channel

From what I have seen speed channel is going and fox sports 1 is coming, will we be able to receive?
post #100 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-18, 08:15 AM

For what it's worth, a few weeks back I was told by a retention CSR that after the long weekend customer's will be receiving a mailer discussing the new channels, etc. we will see if this happens.
post #101 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-19, 02:39 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGzW0nTfCqQ
I know its a little random, but in this video, one can see that they are considering Slice as an HD channel. I wonder if this means that Shaw Media will be launching some new HD channels now that they actually have enough room to carry them.
post #102 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-19, 08:13 PM

^ I watched the commercial and the Slice logo does not have HD on it as the Food and History does.
post #103 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-19, 08:33 PM

Telus has been adding lots of HD channels again lately but does not have an HD version of slice. So it may not yet exist in HD.

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --
post #104 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-19, 09:03 PM

This is all speculation, but maybe because of the fact that the HD logo hasn't been created as of the time of the commercial. I think that on the 29th, more shaw channels like Slice, Lifetime and H2 will be released in HD.
post #105 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-19, 10:32 PM
Veteran

I wouldn't count on the Shaw Media channels launching on May 29th. If you look back in this thread, there is a tentative list of HD channels that are being added and it doesn't include any additional Shaw Media channels.

Also just so everyone is aware, I believe May 29th, Shaw is just adding the LPIF channels and possibly some HD locals to come into compliance with a CRTC ruling regarding carriage of the LPIF signals. They have to be available by June 30th. The specialty channels probably wont start becoming available until well into June.
Closed Thread

Tags
chicago , fox 32 , shaw replaces wgn , wgn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in