Shaw Direct New Channels Discussion - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #211 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-29, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny001 View Post
LOL Tree House, do you really think 5 year olds care if Toopie and beenoo is High Res
Lol, true but being a HD snob it's hard to see sd channels on my system. Plus the organization of "kids shows" is easier if all in 1 spot for JR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-29, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonzie1 View Post
after dealing with the facebook rep for over half a day it feels like, the retention agent is giving me free install for the lnbf
Nice. I got a 630 and 605 for free, but had to pay for the lnb. Guess gotta figure out what you wanna fight for...I put up a fight, and told them to send me the boxes to send back my old receivers.
post #213 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-29, 05:18 PM

Location: Elliot Lake, ON: Shaw Direct HD-DSR605, Toshiba 34HF83, Yamaha DVD S1500 NTSC-PAL Region Free
Where is PBS Buffalo going, currently on ch 81?

Anybody noticed or care that Shaw Direct is trying to drop PBS Buffalo, again???

I was just about to buy the PVR630 - then I saw the new channels being added.

Apart from a whole bunch of broadcast chs now being duplicated in HD, no HD Newsnet, no HD Newsworld, no BBC World HD, and STILL no PBS West HD.

Looks like all the current HD channels are also going to be MPEG4, so anyone using 5xx receivers can probably say goodbye to their Canadian and US HD broadcast channels.

post #214 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-29, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayguy View Post
Hi goalsgo yes we just got Shaw about a year ago when we lost BEV b'cuz of their new bird so all our Shaw equip't is new. 75 dish and xLNB.
Thanks! Hopefully some larger dish can pull in the signal for you. Looks like Florida is out of range with the 75 dish as well.
post #215 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-29, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp01 View Post
Danny - can you see the new satellite up there?

My package is the Ont Value Package. With a few exceptions, I cannot get Cdn locals out of province, it's been that way for years. Now I can get all of the HD equivalents. eg CTV WinnipegSD/ReginaSD are grayed out but I can get those in HD. This is pretty much consistent across all Cdn locals.
Well I checked this out on a 75E I installed on the weekend and according to my Super Bud meter I'm getting similar EBNO and signal strength as I am to F1, so looks like G1 is attainable up here
post #216 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-29, 06:50 PM
Veteran

WNED is definitely missing in both guides, can anyone confirm if WNED is indeed removed?
post #217 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-29, 09:23 PM

Location: Elliot Lake, ON: Shaw Direct HD-DSR605, Toshiba 34HF83, Yamaha DVD S1500 NTSC-PAL Region Free
Thumbs down Buffalo PBS, WNED on advanced ch 81

I'm still getting WNED on ch 81 on my DSR505 as well as the "usual" HD channels between 300 and 328.

However, WNED is definitely not on the new channel list.

Anyone else using the 5xx series experiencing this?

Is it perhaps possible that while the 6xx series boxes are receiving the new channel mapping the 5xx series boxes are still receiving the old?!!!

Just a theory since everyone using the 5xx boxes would be losing all the broadcast HD, Canadian and US, that are being migrated to MPEG4.

I really can't see all Shaw Direct's customers using 5xx series being willing to just be downgraded from HD to SD signals; no way!
post #218 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-29, 09:37 PM
Veteran

The existing HD channels that you received prior to today are staying in MPEG-2 for the time being. Shaw can't just switch these over to MPEG-4 on a dim as there are many cable systems served by their commercial distribution arm; Shaw Broadcast.
post #219 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-30, 06:56 AM

We DO NOT want WNED in HD .. because then SD would have to follow CRTC rules. - 1 PBS station/time zone + 1 out of market.

What would work is Spokane PBS in HD. Then we could have 4 PBS: Detroit & Spokane in HD + Buffalo and Seattle in SD.
post #220 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-30, 08:10 AM

I have no new channels showing on my guides. (630 and 605) I have the new lnb and the correct v-code.

Advanced line up.

Ideas?

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
post #221 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-30, 08:19 AM

Do you have your guide set to a custom list? Can you just tune to 501 and see if it comes in?

If not I'd say go perform a re-hit on the site.
post #222 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-30, 08:31 AM

Shear Force, I don't think anyone was asking for WNED in HD; we just want it kept in the SD line up along with Detroit's WTVS-DT in HD.

As far as Seattle and Spokane are concerned, we just want either one in HD, which of course would give us the choice of 4 PBS stations.

I've no idea why Shaw Direct is being so stubborn about this.
post #223 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-30, 09:09 AM

H2HD ?

I am on Digital Indulgence Light package. I'm getting the new channels as expected (HD ones, not interested in SD). Have a question about H2. In guide is grayed (not subscribed) but I can see it. Next to it Bravo which is also grayed and I know that I'm not subscribed and as expected is not available.

So how about H2, is this a Guide mistake, a free preview or something ? As this is a new channel have no idea if it should or not be part of DIL package.
post #224 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-30, 09:12 AM

with the new groupings of channels, i'm wondering will they keep the old mapping for a bit and then eventually scrap that and go to just the new channel map?

ie. tsn was 310 in the advanced lineup and appears in the 600's as well now, will it eventually just be in the 600's?

with what's been added now, does anyone know how much room shaw direct might still have on their satellites to still add more channels?

thanks
post #225 of 612 (permalink) Old 2013-05-30, 10:07 AM
Veteran

Getting an "open" channel but a greyed guide is a "thing" with the 6xx receivers.

I believe H2 and H2 HD are in free preview.

On other things:
Rural is already there.

ADV vs Classic is just what version of the channel number list you get.
The new HD lineup (includingexisting channels) begins at channel 1 on classic, and 501 on advanced. Channel 1/501 is BC News HD.
You should be able to get all channels with either. If you don't, you have the wrong V-code, not upgraded the LNBF, or are out of the G1 footprint.

Duplicated channels are just the same channel with two or more channel numbers, not them getting transmitted twice, so no bandwidth is wasted. Yes, they could at one point discontinue the old HD channel lineup and map new channels there, should they have bandwidth to add new channels, or other factors.

5xx receivers are getting the same new guide, less the new channels in MPEG4. I don't know how PBS-B is to fit in, but should stay in its current spot on either Advanced or Classic lineups, if it is to stay at all.

Currently existing F1R/F2 satellite usage is status quo - full up.
The added channels and revamped guide (which includes new and existing channels) have no impact on that. Somebody will need to analyze G1 transponder usage to see what more can be added, and what can be added if existing MPEG2HD are converted to MPEG4, and MPEG2/QPSK SD channels/transponders used to their full potential.
Closed Thread

Tags
chicago , fox 32 , shaw replaces wgn , wgn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in