Shaw Direct 2013 programming packages and pricing discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 227 (permalink) Old 2012-12-31, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Shaw Direct 2013 programming packages and pricing discussion

The purpose of this thread is to discuss Shaw Direct programming packages, pricing and offerings. Here's the link to last year's thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=149843

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 227 (permalink) Old 2013-01-13, 10:44 AM

hd package

does anybody know if they have come out with an hd package where you could get all the hd channels with out having to buy a whole bunch of sd channels you do not want
post #3 of 227 (permalink) Old 2013-01-13, 10:52 AM

Good luck. I've got them all (except TMN) and my bill is nearing $90

post #4 of 227 (permalink) Old 2013-01-13, 12:44 PM

same here never watch sd in this day in age you should be able to have just the hds if you want
post #5 of 227 (permalink) Old 2013-01-13, 01:55 PM

100% agree. Kill all the SD channels, put them all up in HD, save space, make packages cheaper.

Zazeen's offering is like that. Any channel that is in HD comes in HD only, otherwise in SD if HD isn't available. 1 version of each channel only.
post #6 of 227 (permalink) Old 2013-01-14, 10:24 AM
Veteran

That would require a major hardware swap of up to 15 year old hardware. Shaw does not want to do that, at least soon.

A number of channels are required to be in a base package, and many of them are SD only.

Zazeen, just starting can start with HD hardware, and channels where possible.
post #7 of 227 (permalink) Old 2013-01-23, 01:42 PM

Timeshifting now a separate option

Hello all.

I was looking at the pricing and packages on the Shaw Direct website today and I have a question regarding the Timeshifting option.

I signed up for Digital Favs and HD Combo almost 2 years ago. As a part of that, I also got the Timeshifting package without having to pay more. It now seems that the Timeshifting bundle is always $5 extra now. Does anyone know when/if that changed?
post #8 of 227 (permalink) Old 2013-01-23, 04:54 PM

Location: Ottawa, ON; Shaw Direct HDPVR630; Samsung HLT5687; Harmon/Kardon AVR247; Harmon/Kardon HKTS11
The $5 timeshifting package was introduced around Oct, 2012. Before that, there was just a timeshifting package for US HD networks package for $1; if you subscribed to any of the HD packages (i.e. HD Extra, HD Extra Lite, HD Sports, or HD Combo) the US HD networks package was free.

See this post where the $5 timeshifting package was discussed: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...28#post1453828

Last edited by rgto; 2013-01-23 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Updated info for US HD networks package
post #9 of 227 (permalink) Old 2013-01-28, 01:58 PM

My rates are being increased on April 1st (hoping it's a joke ).

I currently have the Digital Value Pack for 28.99, plus the Fun Stuff 4.99. My price before tax is currently 33.98 but it's going up to 37.98, so $4 more per month.

I'm not complaining too much though. I'm still getting a pretty good deal compared to the competition.

post #10 of 227 (permalink) Old 2013-01-29, 10:13 AM

^^^WOW! I just read that on my latest invoice as well. Another $4/month increase. Are you f^&%*%$%^$%^$ kidding me??!??!?!

I'm on OVP: 54.97 going up to 58.97 on April 1st. Seriously time to start cutting this service. Joke!
post #11 of 227 (permalink) Old 2013-01-30, 02:21 PM
Veteran

Shaw Direct Flyer - recent offer, rec'd Jan 2013 in Kingston

We received a FLYER from SHAW DIRECT, very recently, Jan 2013, at the house in Kingston Ontario.

What they are offering us, for the amount of money and the channels / content / package offered - if true - appears to be pretty DARN GOOD to me.

In brief: For a 3 year contract, for around 65 bucks a month, quite a few popular channels, quite a few in HD, an HD receiver with PVR included for free, a promotion: the first three months at around 30 bucks a month, and then around 65 bucks a month after that.

I gave a call to the toll free number, and spoke live with a representative to try and confirm.

We've got COGECO CABLE in Kingston, and it seems to me, that this SHAW DIRECT offer - blows away what COGECO can offer.

With this SHAW DIRECT offer: TCM, Multicultural content, and other valuable content all included - if true.

The Devil may be in the Details- with this offer ... but that is my initial impression - The recent SHAW DIRECT offer in that flyer looks pretty darn good and good value.

plus: With Cogeco: NO TCM, Turner Classic Movies possible with COGECO.

Plus - I have noted personally / personal experience - that COGECO is NOT very responsive to customer requests. I have tried many times, in person, and in writing with their "process" and even by opening "trouble tickets".

We have had a LOSS of some servcies we used to have with COGECO - and they're just not listening to us, the customer.

That recent SHAW DIRECT offer is looking pretty darn GOOD.

SHAW must be pulling customers right away from COGECO Kingston ... with offers like that.

Not sure ... but wanted to mention .

If it were up to me personally, I'd switch right away, and give it a try.

[ Dear COGECO, Listening ? ]
post #12 of 227 (permalink) Old 2013-01-30, 03:16 PM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
After my own 5 year experience as a StarChoice/ShawDirect customer, the only conditions under which I would take a 3 year contract given the current state of hardware and satellite turmoil...

1) two 630's included for free so I stood a chance of one working when they other one was waiting for replacement.

2) a written guarantee that the monthly price over the 3 year term would not change for the set of programming provided at the beginning of the term.

This is a totally serious statement, not just being a troll.
post #13 of 227 (permalink) Old 2013-01-30, 11:08 PM

For what it's worth, I switched from SD to cogeco back in September...SD has far less HD programming, which was a deciding factor for me.

Last edited by 57; 2013-01-31 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Huge unnecessary Quote Removed
post #14 of 227 (permalink) Old 2013-01-31, 11:11 AM
Veteran

To MrVanWinkles...

Be careful about the offer. They will charge you $5.99 a month to operate more than one receiver.
I noticed you said "quite a few popular channels, quite a few in HD". Don't be misled. The few channels in HD are basically 4 Canadian OTA channels, ABC,NBC,CBS,Fox & PBS, a few specialties and a bunch of PPV channels. They will charge an extra $10.99 to get the popular HD channels like HGTV, Food, A&E, AMC, TSN, Golf etc.

So that $65 package could end up costing you $82 before taxes, $93 with taxes.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #15 of 227 (permalink) Old 2013-01-31, 11:54 AM

I believe $93 was about what I was paying at the time of my cancellation.....OVP, the HD add ons...no movies
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in