External (SATA) Hard Disk Drive (eHDD) Discussions for HDPVR 630 - See post 1 - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #121 of 248 (permalink) Old 2012-12-25, 04:50 PM

This is really dumb. It would seem that this could be fixed with better programming. With Bell, although the EHD works differently, an EHD can be switched to the same model under the same account. The issue of being able to empty the EHD by stopping further recordings going to it should also be addressed. Right now the only way to do that is to stop doing any recording on the 630 until you have watched and deleted all the recordings on the EHD.

I bought my wife a WD DVR Expander 1 TB for Christmas and like others found the hookup short and simple. Her capacity went from 96% (yes, she really needed an EHD) to 20%. Diagnostic screen showed she had 12 G free on the iHD. It is now recording 2 programs, seemingly working fine and the EHD has gone from 911 G free to 910. I found it interesting that he math is within about 1% working from these figures.

Is the iHD still storing all the scheduling and buffering or is this now also being shared with the EHD since there is only 912 G of the 1 TB free for recording?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 248 (permalink) Old 2012-12-31, 10:46 AM

Talking Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
Mayhemm, the Caviar Green and Black should work. The case could be the problem. I would also try connecting them to a PC and deleting any partitions that are on them.
Well, finally got it to work after a long and arduous process:

Started out that it would immediately lock up no matter the drive used, so I changed the eSATA cable. Now it would detect the attached drive, but lock up during formatting. Finally, following ExD's advice, I brought home my off-site backup (uses an identical Vantec Nexstar3 enclosure), switched the drives, and boom! Formatted in like 5 seconds! Went from 62% full to 8% (with the 2TB Caviar Green; figured I may as well go ALL IN). I also ran a two-pass secure wipe on the drive before attaching it to the 630, just to be thorough.

Of course, all my shows are on hiatus until at least next week, so I haven't actually recorded anything yet. (Fingers crossed) Will probably record a movie or something, just to test it.

A bit OT, but I just want to comment on how Vantec changes their enclosures without officially changing them. I have three of the things (all Nexstar3's) and they were all different in some way. They had different specs, or different power supplies, or....something. Kind of nice, but also kind of annoying.
post #123 of 248 (permalink) Old 2012-12-31, 04:53 PM

Which Vantec model? Memory Express has the NST-360SU-BK, NST-360FBSU-BK, NST-360UFS-BK. All have esata with other interfaces. Thanks for any recommedations.

Scott T
HDPVR630 HDDSR605; Samsung UNC55C6300

post #124 of 248 (permalink) Old 2013-01-01, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottt57 View Post
Which Vantec model?
That is the question, isn't it?

As I mentioned above, Vantec has a habit of making subtle changes to their products and not making it known (ie: by changing the model/revision number). At first, I didn't think they really mattered. eSATA is eSATA, right?

However, they must have changed something critical to DVR applications because my NST-360SU-BK ended up working in the 630, but my NST-360SU-BL did not. These are identical models, with only the color changed (one black, one blue).

The NST-360SU-BK worked for me, but who's to say the one available at ME is really the same model?

Hope I didn't just confuse you....but it's pretty darn confusing!

Unless you need Firewire, I would look for the NST-380SU3-BK (USB3.0 + eSATA)

Last edited by Mayhemm; 2013-01-01 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Recommendation...
post #125 of 248 (permalink) Old 2013-01-01, 12:46 PM
Veteran

I've had similar issues with the same Nextar3 cases. Oddly enough, they're black one with a perfectly working eSATA port and a blue one with a flaky eSATA port. What are the odds of that? Mine are several years old and purchased at the same time. The connectors are in different places on the back so they are obviously using different boards internally. Moral of the story, buy black, not blue.
post #126 of 248 (permalink) Old 2013-01-01, 05:12 PM

Hi
I bought this Vantec case from Memory Express $20
Part #: NST-200S2-BK
Works fine with a 2TB WD Red drive. A previous Rosewill enclosure did not work at all with same drive.

But, I sort of came to the conclusion that 2TB was too much space to be used here. I was never over 7% full, and I could make much better use of that drive in my home server. I had a Samsung 500gb drive not in use, so over the holidays I made a point to watch everything we wanted and then disconnected the 2TB drive. The PVR instantly recognized something was missing and asked if this was permanent or temporary. It then let me remove the device with warnings etc. Afterwards, the database was updated with recorded shows only from the internal drive. I thought the whole procedure was well done. I gather from the questions the unit asked me, I could reconnect the drive a later time, or I could chose to permanently disassociate the drive from the PVR. I chose to permanently disassociate.

Then I swapped drives in the enclosure, reconnected and everything was detected, and formatted and updated as expected. I never ran out of room on the main 320gb internal drive, although it did get close some times, I can't foresee out viewing habits changing in the near future so adding another 500gb should be just fine for us.

I just though I would share the disconnect experience.
post #127 of 248 (permalink) Old 2013-01-01, 08:27 PM

SMP01 are you sure about the model? I cant find anywhere that it is Esata.
I am looking for a case as well but Esata's seem to be hard to come by these days.
post #128 of 248 (permalink) Old 2013-01-01, 09:38 PM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
I have a Vantec USB/eSata black aluminum fanless unit which has been rock solid as an external Time Machine drive on a Mac. Not sure if it is the current NST-360SU-BK shown on the web site or not.

When I originally tried to get it going on the Motorola 6412 when external storage was first enabled by Shaw I had no success. Turned out later that the PVR was really fussy about the cable. The Vantec with a Seagate 1TB ran fine using the cable from the WD Expander drive I bought, just not with the stock cable that came with the Vantec enclosure.

Hard drive docks with eSata are an alternative.

Two Thermaltake BlacX units I own have been reliable and are solidly built.

Stay far, far away from the cheap white plastic ones from Vantec.
post #129 of 248 (permalink) Old 2013-01-03, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochato View Post
SMP01 are you sure about the model? I cant find anywhere that it is Esata.
I am looking for a case as well but Esata's seem to be hard to come by these days.
oops
NST-300SU-BK
post #130 of 248 (permalink) Old 2013-01-04, 01:38 PM

Shaw Iomega PVR 1TB Expander

Anyone tried the Shaw Iomega PVR 1TB Expander from Bestbuy for $100?

Any reason why it might not work or reliability issues?

Thanks.

Scott T
HDPVR630 HDDSR605; Samsung UNC55C6300
post #131 of 248 (permalink) Old 2013-01-06, 02:31 PM
Rookie

I had an unusual problem arise the other day (New Year's day, actually, nice way to start the year). This could just be a 630 problem, but because it involved my external HDD (a WD 1Tb PVR Expander) I'll post it here. In the early hours of New Year's Day I left the 630 recording a program with a couple more to go.

When I got up, the 630 display was stuck on 7:00; i.e. it appeared that the time was frozen at 7 o'clock, and the unit would not turn on (the bottom dot of the time colon flashed a couple of times, that's all). A couple of front-panel resets did nothing. Same with power and input signal cables disconnect. I then disconnected the eHDD and did another front panel reboot and the 630 returned to normal, with a message that it couldn't find the eHDD. It did have all my recordings listed, but grayed out, and I couldn't access them. I did another front panel reboot to 'reconnect' the 630 with the eHDD but the 630 again showed 7:00 (oh oh!)... then turned to 7:01 (time was passing, once again), and then just as I was despairing that this was going to be a big problem, the correct time appeared, the connection was reestablished with the eHDD, all my recordings were available, the timers were intact, and so on.

The only problem I've found is that one of those programs set to record during the early a.m. hours of New Year's Day stopped before completion (about 20 minutes into a 30 minute program). BTW, that program should have been finished long before 7:00 a.m. so I don't think that the 7:00 display reading was in fact the time (error code?).

I have only been using the eHDD for about 3 weeks, but it installed without incident and has been working fine, and even now I can't say that this event was its fault.
post #132 of 248 (permalink) Old 2013-01-06, 04:25 PM
Veteran

I don't think this is an EHD issue. It has happened to several members, with varying outcomes. It happened on both of my 630s. One came back after being unplugged overnight. The other had to be replaced.
post #133 of 248 (permalink) Old 2013-01-06, 11:23 PM
Rookie

Looks like I got off easy. But now I'm a little nervous for the future...
post #134 of 248 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 11:12 AM
JCM

Why use eSata? - kind of out of date. USB2 or USB3 is more compatiable, Bell uses USB 2 with no problems.
The reason I say this is that the units (630 &605) have USB ports as well.
post #135 of 248 (permalink) Old 2013-01-07, 11:21 AM
Veteran

I wouldn't say that Bell uses USB2 with no problems. USB2 is too slow for glitch free, real time recording and playback of multiple streams. USB3 is much better but it will be years before it's available on digital receivers. That leaves eSATA, a fast, reliable, well established technology.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in