External (SATA) Hard Disk Drive (eHDD) Discussions for HDPVR 630 - See post 1 - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 248 (permalink) Old 2012-11-29, 09:29 AM

A few days after the new update I bought a vantech enclosure and a 2TB WD black drive, which comes with a 5 year warranty. After making sure everything worked I bought another on for my wifes 630. So far no problems other than a couple of spontanious reboots. I did notice once after turning off the power to move the TV the 630 didn't recogize the external drive and wanted to know if I wanted to format. I said no and the pvr list showed the recordings, but the ones on the external drive were grayed out. After a reboot everything came back properly.

I love the extra space and the fact that the undeleted recordings are fixed so now I only use about 7% of available drive space. The extra room will come in handy when I go on vacation for 2 weeks and will have the extra room to no lose recordings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 248 (permalink) Old 2012-12-01, 12:41 PM

I got the My Book AV 1 TB drive. it took less than 5 min to install. went from 75% to 16%
post #108 of 248 (permalink) Old 2012-12-04, 11:59 AM
Rookie

Same here. No problems with install (once I remembered to do front panel reboot). The eHDD shows up properly in Diagnostics R and did a recording just fine.

Note that a previously viewed recording (on the iHDD) showed up as broken (after the eHDD install), but the green progress bar was intact and the program played without incident.

I want to place my WD My Book 1Tb AV HD on its side (i.e. not upright on its integral rubber feet). In order to stress the spinning HD the least, does anyone know which side should be up? For now, I have placed it with the connectors at the top. This positions the small serial number sticker upright. The WD logo is no help because it is only upright if the unit is placed on its rubber feet.

Last edited by PVRNB; 2012-12-04 at 12:28 PM. Reason: more precise

post #109 of 248 (permalink) Old 2012-12-04, 01:01 PM
Veteran

I would leave it on it's side, as deigned. Hard drives are designed to run on their side or top side up. Running them upside down will shorten their life and void the warranty. Placing the case on it's side also provides better cooling.
post #110 of 248 (permalink) Old 2012-12-04, 03:45 PM
Rookie

Actually, it's designed to stand upright on its integral rubber feet. To place it on its side, WD provides 4 stick-on 'feet' (more like bumpers) that the end-user has to put on.

I'd like to know if it is better to have one side down vs. the other side? I'm guessing that one way would have the read/write head on top of the disk, like a vinyl record player, while the other way would have the head underneath. Maybe there is no practical difference. I'm just wondering...
post #111 of 248 (permalink) Old 2012-12-06, 09:00 AM

I don't know if one side is better than the other but, when I looked at the WD picture closely, I could tell which side they laid it on, based on the direction/location of the cords coming out from behind. So, I copied their picture.

And, BTW, you are going to love it!

Hope that helps!

Last edited by 57; 2012-12-06 at 10:25 AM. Reason: UQR
post #112 of 248 (permalink) Old 2012-12-06, 08:38 PM
Rookie

I'm not sure what WD picture you're looking at, but the pictograph on page 4 of the 'instructions' that shows that you should NOT place the unit on top of another piece of electronics (the one behind the red, barred circle) shows the WD PVR expander with the cables coming out of the right side (as viewed from the front). In addition, the placement pictographs do show the unit on its integral feet OR with the pilot light on the right when viewed from the front. Again this would mean that the cables are as in the first sentence. So I'm starting to detect a trend here. I have contacted WD on this point but have not received an answer yet.

Yes, I do love it. I heed the caution not to use it as an archival device, but it will be nice, once I've seen a program, not to have to rush to delete in order to free up HD space. I can keep it around to be viewed by myself or others for a lot longer.

Last edited by PVRNB; 2012-12-07 at 07:44 AM. Reason: correction
post #113 of 248 (permalink) Old 2012-12-07, 01:14 PM

I looked at mine last night. Yes, I put the cords to the right . The little blue dot is on the right as well.

Anyway, that is how mine has been setup for (about) a month now and I have had no issues. Enjoy!

Last edited by 57; 2012-12-07 at 01:32 PM. Reason: UQR
post #114 of 248 (permalink) Old 2012-12-07, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVRNB View Post
Yes, I do love it. I heed the caution not to use it as an archival device, but it will be nice, once I've seen a program, not to have to rush to delete in order to free up HD space. I can keep it around to be viewed by myself or others for a lot longer.
And that's it. I can go on holidays now and not have to worry about space. I can record everything in high def now. I was saving some of my wife's shows in stand def. I have not seen the meter go above 10%

Just make it stable.
post #115 of 248 (permalink) Old 2012-12-07, 08:23 PM
Veteran

PVRNB, I meant to run the bare drive on it's side, aka narrow edge, not the top or bottom. (Think of the drive's side/edge as opposed to the drive's top and bottom, not the case.)

The reason not to run drives upside down is due to bearing design, not anything else. The drive platter bearings will fail sooner if the drive is operated upside down.
post #116 of 248 (permalink) Old 2012-12-15, 02:55 PM
Rookie

I've heard back from WD. A tech there replied:

"It doesn't really matter. But Western Digital recommends not to lay the hard drive. In other words, to keep it standing on the rubber feet."

This would put one open end at the top, which would be efficient since heat rises. But, on the other hand, it would put the other open end down, very close to the shelf it is sitting on, which would seem to restrict air flow somewhat.
post #117 of 248 (permalink) Old 2012-12-16, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhemm View Post
So....that didn't work at all.

My 630 freezes/crashes soon after restarting it. The little pulsing orange light that moves back and forth during reboots gets stuck on the middle position and stays there, indefinitely. Nothing short of turning off the HDD and unplugging the 630 will get the signal back.

I'm using a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB in an Vantec Nexstar 3 enclosure, but the 630 doesn't seem to like one (or both) of these.

Haven't called tech support yet; I guess that's tomorrow's order of business
UPDATE: Looks like I had a bad eSATA cable. I tried two other drives in my enclosure and it would still lock up the PVR. Finally got it in my head to switch cables. This time the orange light didn't get stuck until a bit later (stupid tease of a satellite box!).

However, this time I was able to reboot the DVR using the front button (before when it would lock up I had to unplug it). This time the unit came back on and detected the expander drive and I chose to format it!

Question though: How long did the formatting process take everyone? The Shaw website says it should only take a few seconds, and several people on here have said they were up and running in a few minutes. Mine has been formatting for over an hour so far. Though, it is a 2TB drive full of old data from my PC, so that could add some time to the process. You wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference though.

No, I'm afraid I have a sinking feeling I may end the evening without a working extender (yet again).

UPDATE 2: So, after waiting over 2 hours with the 630 stuck "formatting" my HDD, I turned it off and rebooted the 630 because I wanted to record a show. Tried the process again after the show had finished and this time it got stuck on the screen where you confirm formatting of the HDD. Not really sure where to go from here. I guess break down and buy a DVR-rated extender or maybe just wait until SD works out these bugs.

UPDATE 3: After waiting on hold for an hour and a half, I finally got through to a CSR who had me repeat the process several times; All unsuccessful because he had me reboot the 630 without the HDD powered on. Eventually he told me that DVR-rated drives were required and not just recommended. Therefore, none of the drives I tested (1GB Caviar Black, 2GB Caviar Green, and 750GB Caviar SE16) will ever work.

Last edited by Mayhemm; 2012-12-17 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Update 2 & 3
post #118 of 248 (permalink) Old 2012-12-22, 09:54 AM

problem

If I hook up an external hd to my 630 & the 630 dies ( it's happened to one of mine already ), what happens to the recordings on the external when I get a replacement receiver?? Given the unreliability of the 630, I'm thinking this won't be my last replacement. I've had a dead receiver, spontaneus reboots, lost recordings, hd full error & numerous other glitches with the 2 630's that I have. This is the worst update they've done. If I could get directv in Canada, I would gladly get their whole home system with 5 programs recording at once & lots of more advanced features. As long as Shaw keeps dealing with Motorola, they are stuck with whatever crap they send them. YMMV.
post #119 of 248 (permalink) Old 2012-12-22, 10:00 AM
Veteran

Mayhemm, the Caviar Green and Black should work. The case could be the problem. I would also try connecting them to a PC and deleting any partitions that are on them.
post #120 of 248 (permalink) Old 2012-12-22, 10:48 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo617211 View Post
If I hook up an external hd to my 630 & the 630 dies ( it's happened to one of mine already ), what happens to the recordings on the external when I get a replacement receiver??
Unfortunately, you will lose the recordings. Once you hook up the eHDD to the new 630 you will have to format the drive therefore whiping the drive.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in