External (SATA) Hard Disk Drive (eHDD) Discussions for HDPVR 630 - See post 1 - Page 18 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #256 of 260 (permalink) Old 2019-10-28, 01:10 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralRouter View Post
I reviewed post #7. I saw that 2TB was in spec for the external drive. I wonder what the design spec is for the internal hard drive to take over when the external drive reaches XX% of capacity. The number XX% is my question and I also wonder if the user can select that percentage.
As I mentioned in my post, link below, the firmware "balances" the amount (percentage wise) between the two drives. So if the external is 51% full and the internal one is 49% full, the internal drive will get the next recording. This is not user selectable.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...ml#post3094457

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 260 (permalink) Old 2019-10-28, 01:32 PM

The other factor that I find/believe impacts stability on the 630 is the number of programs you have your PVR that it is keeping track off. I go into PVR options fairly regularly and delete programs that I no longer care about. For example once Game of Thrones completed, it ends up as an orphaned potential recording that will no longer have new episodes. I try to keep the list paired down as much as possible. You can end up with a lot of old, outdated series that will never trigger but are being kept in the list. I had well over a hundred entries in the PVR, many that I wasn't interested in any more. My one 630 seemed to be more stable once I edited out the list. The fewer pointers to upcoming / "watch for" programs and fewer actual recordings seems to go a long way to making the 630 PVR more stable. IME.
RuralRouter likes this.

LONSat
post #258 of 260 (permalink) Old 2019-10-28, 01:41 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONSat View Post
The fewer pointers to upcoming / "watch for" programs and fewer actual recordings seems to go a long way to making the 630 PVR more stable. IME.
I agree 100%. The people who have difficulty on Rogers almost always have HDDs that are almost full, hundreds of recordings and hundreds of scheduled recordings. I usually have my iHDD about 20-30% full and 20-30 scheduled recordings in the coming week. That's all I can watch anyway. I might reach 50% after a 3 week vacation, but I whittle that down pretty quickly when I return. Not only is the PVR more stable, but it is often faster functionally.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #259 of 260 (permalink) Old 2019-10-28, 01:55 PM

@RuralRouter - @57 is correct, the unit will select whichever drive has more space. However, the other x factor about which drive will be recorded to also comes down to pre-existing programs. If episodes of a TV series pre-exist on say, your internal drive, future episodes will also record on your internal drive.
post #260 of 260 (permalink) Old 2019-10-28, 03:28 PM

@k801809 said "... the unit will select whichever drive has more space."

Does % of capacity and its affect on efficiency a factor to determine when recording shifts to the internal drive?

If both drives are at maximum comfortable % capacity of recordings, then recording will go to the drive with the most actual (not %) capacity available. Do I have that right?
It must have taken some coding to keep all episodes of the same show on the same drive. Since the combination of both drives are considered as one virtual drive, it shouldn't matter or is there a reason? It seems to me that it would be all eggs in the same basket.

Last edited by 57; 2019-10-28 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Font

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in