External (SATA) Hard Disk Drive (eHDD) Discussions for HDPVR 630 - See post 1 - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #211 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-02-21, 04:58 PM

Unhappy External Hard Drives - Not Much Help Available

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stew View Post
...The only other reasons I can imagine is that maybe our house may not have enough power (We live in a hundred year old house out in the middle of nowhere, with just as old wiring).

... eHDD has just gotten too old?

... Will any type of External Hard Drive work, like one designed for a desktop be used and plugged into the 630, or does it have to be one bought for Shaw/Cable/Satellite usage. (Which on a side-note, I can't even find one through the Shaw Direct website.)
The external drive and the PVR use very little power compared to toasters, microwave ovens, even a number of incandescent light bulbs. Your electrical wiring is just fine.

Drives are mechanical beasts that break down. You may need a new drive. How is your hard drive enclosure?

If you need a new drive, find one that is designed to work continuously for surveillance or for PVR use.

I truly wish that Shaw Direct would market and warranty an external hard drive for their PVRs! It is hard to locate much on internet searches for help, but keep looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-02-21, 06:25 PM

A refresh might solve your issues, you can do it yourself online or by calling Support, and before you speak to someone you will be offered a refresh, this worked for us after the last up-grade. BUT at 6 yrs old both HD & enclosure are old

WE have 4 PVRs and up-graded the externals on all to larger, faster, cooler and quieter drives enclosed by all aluminum eSATA/USB3:0 externals with a continuous fan. All have been running continuous since without issue.

With more than 1,000 files the Multi-Delete was the favourite part of the last up-grade!
post #213 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-02-27, 09:01 PM
Rookie

Smile

Thanks for all the help. We just got a new eHDD from Memory Express (which I recommend to anybody in Vancouver, Alberta or Winnipeg, it was worth the 3 hour trip), which they even set up. Fortunately, we were able to save a number of shows that were left that were still on the 630 itself. The new eHDD contains 2 TB's (actually 1.8 TB according to the info when plugged in), which is an improvement over the 1 TB one that crashed and burned.

And now it's working perfectly fine, and hasn't crashed since the new one was plugged in (although it is interesting to know that PVRs and eHDD actually take up very little energy, you do learn something everyday), and doesn't even delay.

On another note, we found out that the old eHDD was made in 2006, despite being bought in 2010, so I wouldn't have been surprised if it was refurbished or something.

Still once again, thanks for all the help.

post #214 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-02-29, 07:33 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stew View Post
We just got a new eHDD from Memory Express
What manufacturer and model of enclosure did you buy? Same question for the hard drive?
Good Luck and thanks!
post #215 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-04-14, 04:14 PM
Rookie

I see Visions.ca sells the 630 with a 1, 2 or 4 TB. Vantec eHDD expander. I realize that Shaw says 2 TB. is the max but this is what Visions has. The eHDD is also sold on its own.
post #216 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-04-15, 05:58 PM

Thumbs up

This is very good information. Thank you bravo 1
post #217 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-07-03, 06:05 PM

Vantec Enclosure - NST-366SU3-BK

Has anyone had any experience using a Vantec NexStar 6G enclosure (NST-366SU3-BK) with the 630? Please note that there are three NexStar 6G enclosures but only one supports eSata externally - the NST-366SU3-BK. Thus, only this one may be compatible with the 630.

It has more bells and whistles than what is needed for the 630 (i.e., supports SATA III drives; uses both eSata and usb 3.0 externally), but these features may be useful for life after the 630 (whether with the 630's replacement or with a computer system). Specs can be found at:

Vantec ? Product

What concerns me is the following blurb from the above link:

"This NexStar 6G is also designed with smart and green features to extend the life of the drive by spinning down when the system goes to sleep thus saving energy when it is not in use."

In these circumstances, I often equate the word "green" with "not compatible with 24/7 use". However, this enclosure appears to be the one that a certain Canadian retailer packages with a 1TB or a 2TB drive as the "Vantec PVR Hard Drive Expander".

Thank you for any insights.
post #218 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-07-06, 08:51 AM

Thumbs down It Can't Breathe

I think you are right to be concerned about that. Also, I note that the website says "Aluminum Casing Cools Down Your Hard Drive". I would be much happier with a vented case. My "Velocity" enclosure makes a similar claim, but it gets real hot. I think it cooked my hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
...What concerns me is the following blurb from the above link:

"This NexStar 6G is also designed with smart and green features to extend the life of the drive by spinning down when the system goes to sleep thus saving energy when it is not in use.".
post #219 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-07-07, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
Has anyone had any experience using a Vantec NexStar 6G enclosure (NST-366SU3-BK) with the 630? Please note that there are three NexStar 6G enclosures but only one supports eSata externally - the NST-366SU3-BK. Thus, only this one may be compatible with the 630. ...
I bought this for my 630:

- Vantec NST-366SU3-BK 3.5 SATA 6GB/S to USB 3.0/ESATA HDD Enclosure
- Western Digital Purple 2TB SATA3 6GB/S Intellipower 64MB Cache 3.5in Surveillance Hard Drive OEM

System is very stable. I plugged this setup one month ago.

Last edited by 57; 2016-07-19 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Quote Shortened
post #220 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-07-19, 01:18 PM
DHC Supporter

Do the recordings automatically go to the External Hard drive, or does it pick on its own, can you set it.

Last edited by 57; 2016-07-19 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #221 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-07-19, 02:17 PM

Drive Usage

From what I observed, the 630 will place the current recording on the drive that has the most free space available. Thus, if the internal drive has 200GB free space remaining while the external drive has 100GB, the 630 will record the current recording on the internal drive.

When an external drive is added, this means the external drive will be used quite extensively until it has no more free space than the internal drive.

Other than temporarily disconnecting the external hard drive (remember to power down the entire unit before doing this), I am not aware of any means by which you can readily override this default.

If you do try to disconnect the external hard drive, just remember that only one external drive can be associated with a 630 at a time. Associating a new external hard drive to the 630 or disassociating an existing external hard drive results in the 630 no longer being able to access the recordings on the old external hard drive. Presumably, this was done to limit the amount of content warehousing (i.e., to placate content owners).
post #222 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-07-19, 02:47 PM
DHC Supporter

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by 57; 2016-07-19 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #223 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-10-14, 01:03 PM

Iomega 34508 eSATA DVR 1TB Expander Drive

Anyone tried this unit - https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...xpander+Drive+
post #224 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-10-14, 03:19 PM

60 hours OR less of HD Video. . . This is an extremely small drive unless 60 hours or less is all you require?

Also check and read the Customer Reviews as only slightly half rate it 5 stars and just about 30% gave it two or less stars. . . Which is a Low rating for any drive! You should take note of this in comparison to other drives!

Comes with a 1 year warranty. . . Again combined with the low ratings and a 12 month warranty, you might want to look at other drives with a much better rating and a much longer warranty.

Finally your link is American which is OK if you’re in the US but if you’re in Canada, after exchange rates, tariffs, taxes, import duties and shipping costs there should be Bigger, Better, Cheaper option available in Canada with Free Shipping~
post #225 of 248 (permalink) Old 2016-10-15, 08:38 AM

Give me a break - 1TB 'extremely small' ?? The biggest you can use is 2TB. We record everything except for sports and news. I have a 750gb ext drive, and we have never come close to 50% used.

I am not going to comment on quality and I do agree that you can get decent deals in Canada, but 1TB should be fine, especially if you have nothing now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in